Mac OS I finally get it about Apple fanboys

spawnfreak said:
Dear friends, the OP posted his user experience that he liked mac very much n all coning from a windows family.

Yup, after almost 15 years of Windows, I so much prefer Mac in just 2 weeks. All I'm saying is that most of those who 'bash' Macs, have probably not used Mac for significant periods of time.

Have an open mind instead of just brand loyalties. And, finally, if you really do prefer Windows, it's fine. Its your choice.

Woz versus Jobs? I doubt Apple would be where it is, if either were not there.

Should have realized that a Mac/Win discussion would never follow a rational path.

deepakvrao said:
Yup, after almost 15 years of Windows, I so much prefer Mac in just 2 weeks. All I'm saying is that most of those who 'bash' Macs, have probably not used Mac for significant periods of time.

And anyone who worked deeply with various versions of both OS would find Windows XP and Win 7 much better than any version of Mac OS X released after Panther (10.3).

Lord Nemesis said:
And anyone who worked deeply with various versions of both OS would find Windows XP and Win 7 much better than any version of Mac OS X released after Panther (10.3).

Seriously doubt this. I know so many who have switched from Win to Mac and never looked back, and don't know anyone who has done the reverse. Do you?

deepakvrao said:
Seriously doubt this. I know so many who have switched from Win to Mac and never looked back, and don't know anyone who has done the reverse. Do you?

I know many. Having been a developer for both platforms for many years at my previous company, Panther was the last version of Mac OS that I felt was comparable to Windows. I myself used to prefer Mac as my primary development platform and used windows workstation for checking mails and testing the application for Windows after I wrote the code on Mac, Tiger and subsequent releases made sure that I went back to Windows as my main development station. I used to run Windows on the same iMac as Mac OS and even an iMac ran windows a lot better than Mac OS. In fact my company was a Mac first developer who has been developing Mac exclusive software since the Apple II era, before they went multi-platform in 1996. As a major player in publishing industry, most of the sales revenue used to be for the Mac versions as Mac's used to be preferred for creative work, but after Tiger came out, a lot of our enterprise customers started migrating to windows after being disgusted by the numerous issues they were facing and arrogance and lack of support from Apple. Before I moved from the company, many of the large customers preferred the windows version as they migrated to Windows and many of the features that were developed on customer requests begin being windows only. None of the fat that Apple is putting on Mac OS these days matters to professionals if what they actually need is no longer working as it should.

Why do you think Mac OS still has the same market share (1/10th of Windows) over all these years, because they are loosing as many existing customers as they are gaining.

^^

If you do not have to mention to much proprietary information, which you would have seen in your prior assignment, what you think were the main irks/issues which caused the parallel move to M$ OS.

deepakvrao said:
Yes, thousands of people in my profession. In the early 2000s, Apple introduced a software for film/video editing called Final Cut Pro. Prior to this, a post production machine would run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars - but Apple brought that down to a few thousands. Naturally, like many who began in this industry in the early 2000s, I started on Mac.

Move forward to 2011, and Apple has become a bit of a laughing stock. When you realize that a Windows machine will get your work done in 5 hours where a similarly priced Mac would take 25, there's no surprise that almost an entire industry is undergoing a mass exodus from Macs to Windows. Of course, the high-end of the industry (i.e. Hollywood etc) has stuck with Linux and Windows machines throughout. The last cue is Apple discontinuing Mac Pro.

Of course, I know this has no relevance to you, but just saying. I did use OS X briefly as my primary casual usage OS when Tiger released and I was fed up with Windows XP. But since Vista, I only use OS X if - bluntly put - someone pays me money to use it. So count me in as a switcher to Windows.

^^^OK, Learn something new every day. I had never come across anyone who had switched from Mac to Win for home use. It was mostly the other way around.

Sub said:
Yes, thousands of people in my profession. In the early 2000s, Apple introduced a software for film/video editing called Final Cut Pro. Prior to this, a post production machine would run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars - but Apple brought that down to a few thousands. Naturally, like many who began in this industry in the early 2000s, I started on Mac.

Move forward to 2011, and Apple has become a bit of a laughing stock. When you realize that a Windows machine will get your work done in 5 hours where a similarly priced Mac would take 25, there's no surprise that almost an entire industry is undergoing a mass exodus from Macs to Windows. Of course, the high-end of the industry (i.e. Hollywood etc) has stuck with Linux and Windows machines throughout. The last cue is Apple discontinuing Mac Pro.

Of course, I know this has no relevance to you, but just saying. I did use OS X briefly as my primary casual usage OS when Tiger released and I was fed up with Windows XP. But since Vista, I only use OS X if - bluntly put - someone pays me money to use it. So count me in as a switcher to Windows.

I won't deny above, any given day, most powerful hardware have support on Windows and they just work on Windows. And as far as I know these hardware are designed keeping windows in mind. So, can't deny above statement.

+LT

Sub said:

TBH, I had absolutely no idea that Mac was becoming so bad! I knew it was bad, but not this bad.

vivek.krishnan said:
TBH, I had absolutely no idea that Mac was becoming so bad! I knew it was bad, but not this bad.

The biggest problem is the GDI. The entire graphics architecture is very poor. This is not helped by the fact that NVIDIA and AMD driver teams pour 99% effort into Windows drivers and we know how dependent on drivers graphics cards are. On Linux distros at least there are open source drivers. On Mac, you have to deal with flaky drivers with missing features, instability and poor performance and you can go months and months without driver updates and basic showstopping bugs remaining unfixed. And when the update does come, it does so at the expense of crippling performance or other bugs, which again takes few months more to fix.... It is really painful. And let me not even get to the fact that the fastest graphics card available for a Mac Pro is Quadro 4000 (of course the Mac edition costs more than the non-Mac one...), which is quite slow. Oh, and there are just two PCI-e slots without using an expander! While Windows or Linux machines can race ahead with Quadro 6000 or GTX 580 which are 2-3 times faster respectively and can use many of them. Then comes other limitations with the GDI such as it is restricted to 8-bit, while today's cameras shoot upto 16-bit, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on and on. Of course, Windows has the absolute killer feature - Direct3D. That's the whole deal with Apple - they don't care about what you want - they will only give you what they want. If you are lucky enough to subscribe to their beliefs, good for you! Unlike other companies which look out to cater for customers, meet their demands - and suffer for it with much lower margins and less rigid integration. What this also means that for the few usage scenarios they had in mind, Apple products will work great. If you want to do something else, it's not pretty. Here's a simple example - my professional work is based around CUDA (Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve - can't do without CUDA). Try buying a Macbook with NVIDIA.

Once again, today, for casual use these weaknesses will not show through. But with everything going visual, and everything non-visual being accelerated by GPUs... In the long term, there's absolutely no doubt that Apple is going ARM and OS X is merging with iOS. Future Macbooks will look more like iPads with keyboards. Apple are smart - they know that most of the money is in the casual user base and the finicky minded - high performance and technically impressive products make far less money than glossy, well designed, well marketed but technically shallow ones.

Microsoft has also realized this, but they are dedicated to a much more flexible and powerful ecosystem. With Windows 8, Microsoft brings an OS that is several times faster, more efficient and easier to use than any desktop OS out there (it is on par with Android and iOS), while underneath lies suspended the entire Windows beast. Best of both worlds.

deepakvrao said:
^^^OK, Learn something new every day. I had never come across anyone who had switched from Mac to Win for home use. It was mostly the other way around.
They are much easier to find because 88% PCs use Windows while 6% PCs use OS X. But I do agree - a lot of Mac users have incredible brand loyalty, a recent documentary proved it was a religious thing rather than a rational one. I find that very interesting.

^^ excellent post. I have been trying to rep you. I shall do it the second i spread some reps around.

Sub, Amazing explanation with the CUDA and everything non-visual being accelerated by GPU's :D .

I was planning to buy a mac for general purpose use and some video editing and visual softwares like After effects, Premier Pro and Photoshop, but after reading this thread ( which was originally meant for Apple Fan Boys ) I think i will wait for windows 8 and i feel that with a frontend which is very user friendly and new powered by the "windows beast" I think it would be a winner.

Not that i have anything against Apple, but they have done their homework on making their OS very nice and hardware better looking and so that did surely win my heart but i guess performance is more important in the end.

Nice post Sub. Never knew all this. So, in all this has been a big eye opener for me. Like I said, for my purposes I still think Mac may be better but now you say that Win 8 will be fantastic? Trust my timing of switching :-(

Back