Mac OS I finally get it about Apple fanboys

red dragon said:
^^Both can be disabled in less than 5 seconds.

Sent from Galaxy S2

really? so you can use SL style two finger scrolling while still keeping 4 finger spaces swipe the "right" way? Pray tell how. (With an answer which isnt BetterTouchTool)

Powersurge said:
If you turn off natural scrolling the 4 finger switching between (what used to be) spaces gets inverted, and for someone who uses those spaces on a fairly regular basis, its far more important. So i had to get used to the way Lion handles 2 finger scrolling by default

I'm using the three finger swipe, and since it's all new to me I don't have to 're learn' anything, so I have left the scroll like how it was in my Windos PC.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Powersurge said:
really? so you can use SL style two finger scrolling while still keeping 4 finger spaces swipe the "right" way? Pray tell how.

I use the 2 finger scroll and the three finger for Mission Control. It's all there in trackpad settings.

deepakvrao said:
I'm using the three finger swipe, and since it's all new to me I don't have to 're learn' anything, so I have left the scroll like how it was in my Windos PC.

I use the 2 finger scroll and the three finger for Mission Control. It's all there in trackpad settings.

Mission Control is different from what was once Spaces. Mission control is a mashup of Expose and Spaces, but what I am talking about is switching from one space to another with a gesture. Which is what gets inverted (Since spaces are linear now, and not arranged in a grid in 10.6)

The reason Apple products are so efficient at what they do, those smooth slick transitions, high visual quality Operating system and still running smoothly without putting load on the processor, is that Apple's hardware and software are completely integrated with each other. When they build a system around a particular hardware, the software that they develop, ie. the operating system, is such that the hardware and software are completely in tune with each other.

this has always been a debate and difference in point of view even between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Both were of different opinions, Bill gates policy is to improve the width of the compatibility of platforms. ie. build general software, that runs on a variety of hardware with software support. .whereas Steve Jobs always believed in integrated hardware and software systems. ie. the software should be specifically built for the hardware that it is intended to run on. that way the hardware's performance is achieved at its best eg. Mobile phones are the best example of integrated hardware and software. . but this reduces flexibility as the compatibility for different hardware is limited. eg. you cant just install any operating system on your mobiles hardware. even if you consider sony ericssons java based OS, you cant just copy the OS of any phone and use it on an older phone. you might be successful in installing and booting but it wont run efficiently (although there is a specific community of techgeeks who continuously try to do this and have achieved limited success)

Both the point of views hold good in their own way, Bill Gates has been more commercially successful due to such wide compatibility whereas Steve Jobs has managed to acquire a niche, exclusive community of fans that is difficult for Microsoft Windows to beat.

Even though I am an Apple fan, but cant afford one, I still respect Windows for the vast compatibility and flexibility for tweaking the system that it offers.

PS:And for all you Apple fans, heres the amazing video of the first Apple 1 being introduced by Steve Jobs. Am not sure how many of you must have seen it. If you haven't, watch it. its amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-XwPjn9YY&feature=related

deepakvrao said:
2. I come from xp, so don't really know what Win 7 is capable of
Why are you comparing a brand new product to one that is 10 years old? :S It is a futile exercise, really. But I agree, OS X 10.7 Lion is in many ways a superior OS than Windows XP, except the entire graphics architecture. But then, Windows XP is also a million times better than Mac System 7 or Windows 3.1.

Even today OS X has some benefits for casual usage. Windows is far more powerful and flexible and brings with it more of an overhead - unwanted for casual users. Of course, it is really easy to configure your system so only the services you need load, but again, the casual user never bothers with such tweaking. The same can be said of Linux distros but unfortunately the software base isn't as wide as OS X. However, this notion will disappear with Windows 8, which brings in smart services suspension and will in fact be even more efficient than Unix based OSes like Ubuntu or OS X. Remember, it is competing not only against desktop OSes but also Android and iOS - it better be extremely slick and efficient. On my MSI Windpad - which is just a lowly 1 GHz tablet and probably 1/10th as poweful as an ultrabook - the dev preview of Windows 8 starts up in 12 seconds and uses less than 250MB RAM at desktop.

deepakvrao said:
Surfing, mails, plenty of MS office work, some photo work including editing, movies & music, no video editing or any other CPU intensive stuff.

What I like and is different in my opinion?

Sexy hardware - from the small power brick, to the magnetic plug, backlit keyboard [I guess all Win laptops also have them now but my earlier Dell did not], and of course the AMAZING trackpad

Software stuff - just a few that come to mind off hand

Multi touch gestures
Spotlight search - just amazing speed and great searching, seeing a preview of the result by just hovering the cursor on a result, search includes search inside documents
Different options in Finder on how to preview a file, especially scrolling thru the previews
Seeing previews without opening the main apps
No hanging, crashing, rebooting
Connecting back to my wifi every time without having to do it manually ever, or having to 'repair' my connection'
Time machine back up
Expose, I think its called mission control now with multiple desktops
The 3 finger up swipe to see all open apps, the three finger down swipe to see all open windows of the app you are working on
The hot corners
Dashboard with amazing widgets like currency converter, translation, dictionary, world clock, area/weight/volume convertor etc
Installing apps/programs is simple, and uninstalling even easier
Wake from sleep is like one second most of the time and max 2-3
Boot is 25 seconds
Connects and maintains connection to my NAS HDD allways, while I always had some issues with Windows
Somehow working with multiple windows is much easier than on Windows. I use a dual monitor Win setup in my office, and that makes it easier, but on the Air I do almost as much, as fast on a single screen. Can't really explain it.
RAM usage is much better than in Windows
iTunes works much better than on my Win PC
Look up dictionary at the click of a button
Date and day of week on menubar [small thing but immensely useful]
Calendar works great
No viruses

Few things that come to my mind.

Disclosure:

1. I am not a geek, but just an average user. I think that is what Apple really targets I guess. Like someone said, you can do a lot with Macs, as long as you do it 'their' way. I'm OK with that as long as the computer just works.
2. I come from xp, so don't really know what Win 7 is capable of

Where do I start with the bashing?

first, use 7. then see whether you do need mac.

Viruses : Its not true anymore. With the growing popularity of the Mac platform, get ready for some nasty stuff. Now, I am using W7 with out an AV as most of the time, I dont click on unwanted links + pendrives are run thru my "eye-scanner".

RAM usage: with 4GB + upgrading my sony and desktops to 8 GB next year, I am pretty happy with W7. W8 will bring a host of other stuff to the table.

itunes, IMO is crap. Super crap.

No isssues with NAS here either.

Boot time. This is one of the better things about a mac. but remove all the bloatware on a machine you could easily get 35/40 seconds. easily.

wakes from sleep ~ 3 seconds.

Apps for W7 are not bad. But yeah, they take a teeny weeny bit more time.

Dashboard ~ W7 sidebar. or google gadgets. I wrote an sms sending sidebar gadget myself, simple and clean.

hot corners ~ not seen that on the sony either.

time machine backup. ridiculously expensive. whs is better IMO. has similar features.

wifi ~ no issues here either.

no crashes here either.

spotlight search ~ no previews here, but we do have have searching content.

multi touch ~ yawn. i find it irritating, tbh. want an option to turn the damn thing off.

Having used a mac for about what 30~40 minutes, i find that it is good for a newbie. for the rest, its their choice. last year, my choice of notebooks was mac or win, choose win. next year, october, will get one for my bro, will be a win. IVB.

imo, I feel that mac does not target the average user. It target the guys with money on the hands and those who want status. as far as the comparison goes, i feel except for some areas, w7 is equal to mac. for

dhruvrock2000 said:
^^ No need to bash the OP. It is his choice... He isn't trying to force you to buy a Mac :p

Naah. Have absolutely no intention of doing so. It was just a figure of speech. :p

I believe that the Mac is a very well designed product. I was just letting him know that Windows is not as useless as he thinks it is.

vivek.krishnan said:

Of all the things you had to "bash" about his post, you had to pick Multi Touch gestures and Time Machine? Would love to have programs/trackpad with similar functionality and ease of use in Win 7. (And yes, I have looked). I dislike laptops in general but if I had to get one, it might be a mac (especially with STEAM now having support for it and many games getting ports.)

vivek.krishnan said:
Where do I start with the bashing?

first, use 7. then see whether you do need mac.

Viruses : Its not true anymore. With the growing popularity of the Mac platform, get ready for some nasty stuff. Now, I am using W7 with out an AV as most of the time, I dont click on unwanted links + pendrives are run thru my "eye-scanner".

RAM usage: with 4GB + upgrading my sony and desktops to 8 GB next year, I am pretty happy with W7. W8 will bring a host of other stuff to the table.

itunes, IMO is crap. Super crap.

No isssues with NAS here either.

Boot time. This is one of the better things about a mac. but remove all the bloatware on a machine you could easily get 35/40 seconds. easily.

wakes from sleep ~ 3 seconds.

Apps for W7 are not bad. But yeah, they take a teeny weeny bit more time.

Dashboard ~ W7 sidebar. or google gadgets. I wrote an sms sending sidebar gadget myself, simple and clean.

hot corners ~ not seen that on the sony either.

time machine backup. ridiculously expensive. whs is better IMO. has similar features.

wifi ~ no issues here either.

no crashes here either.

spotlight search ~ no previews here, but we do have have searching content.

multi touch ~ yawn. i find it irritating, tbh. want an option to turn the damn thing off.

Having used a mac for about what 30~40 minutes, i find that it is good for a newbie. for the rest, its their choice. last year, my choice of notebooks was mac or win, choose win. next year, october, will get one for my bro, will be a win. IVB.

imo, I feel that mac does not target the average user. It target the guys with money on the hands and those who want status. as far as the comparison goes, i feel except for some areas, w7 is equal to mac. for

Well to reply [without getting into a pissing contest]:

I HAVE used Win 7, for about 5 days when I stayed at a guest house in Delhi, as recently as October, which had Win 7. Thats a lot more than your usage of a Mac for 30-40 minutes. Just that I am used to xp for years. Like I said, you need a few days/weeks to see how good a Mac is.

iTunes on Windows is not comparable to itunes on Mac. WHen I had complained about itunes a couple of years ago to a fanboy [my cousin], this is what he had said, and I find it true. itunes on Mac just works brilliantly.

Time Machine is the software which comes with the OS, noit the hardware. I am using a regular Seagate USB drive as the back up drive.

Wifi has always been repeated issues with my wife's as well as my laptop. Frequent needs to repair/reconect. Even on a re formatted and reloaded machine [with a few months of use].

You wrote a software? See, that is what I am saying. Mac is ideal for the non geek, the regular user. I'm sure an experienced computer user will find lots more in Windows, and also be able to keep it running better but you need to 'know' a lot more for Windos than for Mac - my experience.

Remove bloatware? Can an average user do all this?

The last line of yours? Money on hands & status? That's a bit of a stretch. I had the money to switch to Mac a long time ago, but was reluctant to even try a new platform. That is what I am trying to say, to guys who can afford it but are wary of taking the plunge.

Sub said:
Why are you comparing a brand new product to one that is 10 years old? :S It is a futile exercise, really. But I agree, OS X 10.7 Lion is in many ways a superior OS than Windows XP, except the entire graphics architecture. But then, Windows XP is also a million times better than Mac System 7 or Windows 3.1.

Even today OS X has some benefits for casual usage. Windows is far more powerful and flexible and brings with it more of an overhead - unwanted for casual users. Of course, it is really easy to configure your system so only the services you need load, but again, the casual user never bothers with such tweaking. The same can be said of Linux distros but unfortunately the software base isn't as wide as OS X. However, this notion will disappear with Windows 8, which brings in smart services suspension and will in fact be even more efficient than Unix based OSes like Ubuntu or OS X. Remember, it is competing not only against desktop OSes but also Android and iOS - it better be extremely slick and efficient. On my MSI Windpad - which is just a lowly 1 GHz tablet and probably 1/10th as poweful as an ultrabook - the dev preview of Windows 8 starts up in 12 seconds and uses less than 250MB RAM at desktop.

Like I said, have used Win 7 for about 5 days, but not for years like xp.

Absolutely agree with you and that is what I said all along. Mac is ideal for the day to day user who does not want to/know how to 'get under the hood'. 12 second start up? Wow? BUt what happens after 6 months oif use? Thats when the start up times deteriorate etc right?

whatsinaname said:
Of all the things you had to "bash" about his post, you had to pick Multi Touch gestures and Time Machine? Would love to have programs/trackpad with similar functionality and ease of use in Win 7. (And yes, I have looked). I dislike laptops in general but if I had to get one, it might be a mac (especially with STEAM now having support for it and many games getting ports.)

Yes, forgot to add that. The touchpad with gestures is fantastic IMO. Am getting the trackpad instead of the magic mouse for the desktop, and adding a USB Logitech mouse.

What is this a mod here full time monitoring the thread? Moral policing, suspension of civil rights in preventing us from like bashing apple fanboys and speaking ill of an evil organization?

I would so love to gatecrash this sweet gathering of apple fanboys and burst their bubble but I shall resist!

IMO . Apple Products are Targeted towards the non-geek Or average person who needs to do some basic word processing and internet surfing on a daily basis and an occasional photo edit and video edit And it does well in what it is designed for. Simplicity being its main feature but it comes at a hefty price. When it comes to windows , it comes in all price ranges. It is also simple but not as simple as Mac but still when it comes to the Geek or the Power user , for the same price he can get a beast which can blow anything. Windows are way more customizable and has lot more software(freeware) available.

About the status thing- Yes Apple products have become a status symbol because an average person cannot afford it.

sunny27 said:
What is this a mod here full time monitoring the thread? Moral policing, suspension of civil rights in preventing us from like bashing apple fanboys and speaking ill of an evil organization?

I would so love to gatecrash this sweet gathering of apple fanboys and burst their bubble but I shall resist!

Dont step in here, you I-hate-all-apple-products-and-will-bash-them-if-i-am-not-stopped-by-a-mod. ;)

No one stopped me from bashing apple. I am just giving apple lovers a bit of a free run here while i sit back and enjoy how apple's losing cases and law suits left right and center. Its only a matter or time before apple capitulates.

"Raises little finger to my mouth imitating Dr.Evil" ---> "Are you gonna cry Apple lovers?" Muhahaha!

Steve Jobs to Google - You´re quasi-evil, you´re semi-evil, you´re the margarine of evil, you´re the diet coke of evil, just one calorie... not evil enough!

deepakvrao said:
Well to reply [without getting into a pissing contest]:

I HAVE used Win 7, for about 5 days when I stayed at a guest house in Delhi, as recently as October, which had Win 7. Thats a lot more than your usage of a Mac for 30-40 minutes. Just that I am used to xp for years. Like I said, you need a few days/weeks to see how good a Mac is.

iTunes on Windows is not comparable to itunes on Mac. WHen I had complained about itunes a couple of years ago to a fanboy [my cousin], this is what he had said, and I find it true. itunes on Mac just works brilliantly.

Time Machine is the software which comes with the OS, noit the hardware. I am using a regular Seagate USB drive as the back up drive.

Wifi has always been repeated issues with my wife's as well as my laptop. Frequent needs to repair/reconect. Even on a re formatted and reloaded machine [with a few months of use].

You wrote a software? See, that is what I am saying. Mac is ideal for the non geek, the regular user. I'm sure an experienced computer user will find lots more in Windows, and also be able to keep it running better but you need to 'know' a lot more for Windos than for Mac - my experience.

Remove bloatware? Can an average user do all this?

The last line of yours? Money on hands & status? That's a bit of a stretch. I had the money to switch to Mac a long time ago, but was reluctant to even try a new platform. That is what I am trying to say, to guys who can afford it but are wary of taking the plunge.

Like I said, have used Win 7 for about 5 days, but not for years like xp.

Absolutely agree with you and that is what I said all along. Mac is ideal for the day to day user who does not want to/know how to 'get under the hood'. 12 second start up? Wow? BUt what happens after 6 months oif use? Thats when the start up times deteriorate etc right?

Yes, forgot to add that. The touchpad with gestures is fantastic IMO. Am getting the trackpad instead of the magic mouse for the desktop, and adding a USB Logitech mouse.

Ahem, I believe I did mention that i was not interested in bashing Mac. I think that 7 deserves some more credit than what its given for.

As far as your usage of 7 for 5 days, thats great. I could not use more than 30 minutes as the iDiot was scared that i would screw it up :rofl:

Irrespective of platform, IMO itunes is crap. If you disagree, fine. I really dont care. I believe itunes is like DRM.

still having wifi issues on 7? Something does not add up. I have used it with a 4 yr old laptop, no issues. Of course, the wifi chipset is broadcom.

Time machine, well i was thinking that a network drive is needed for the same. In that regard, the win equivalent is not that good. But on networked drives, IMO, WHS is pretty good. However, support is only for 7 and Vista :S

As far as me writing the software, I was mentioning how simple it was to do it. this was without any coding practise, just some diy hack spur of the moment stuff. I just hated going to 160by2.com each time to send an sms. so took the java code for the web widget and with some reverse engineering, got the desktop gadget thing done. In fact i first wrote it as a google gadget, so that it was included in gmail ;)

Removing bloatware can be as simple as a format. however certain precautions like the drivers are needed. in fact, have done it for my compaq, in the case of the sony, did not bother, just removed the stupid mcafee a/v.

Yes, the money and status thing is true, at least for me. A good friend of mine, wants to buy a new machine, had decided to get an imac. when asked why, said he just wants it. now all he is going to do is some word processing, etc. Basically something that a decent desktop can do easily. He mentions that he has the cash and he wants the status of owning an imac. simple. However, this is a year old.

Newest example is a guy i met on the way to lamington road. Now, i dont know him at all. we just started chatting on the way. as we were discussing tech stuff, the point in discussion came up as the reaosn for going there. I went there to get a cabinet. he mentioned that he plans to buy a laptop and he plans to buy the MB. when asked why, says that staus symbol hai. he had an iphone (no idea which one), had around 60K and wanted to blow it. his requirements were to use it for his college project.

I can think of no reason to use a 60K MB. Most of my work gets done on my 4 yr old celeron.

Also, can say this. the installs on the celeron and the sony are almost a 6 months to year old. no sign if deterioration at all. This was true with xp and with 7, noticably less.

deepakvrao said:
Note that even for casual users, I am not saying Windows is any worse - it is still a much more well rounded and more powerful OS and covers a far broader spectrum of budgets and usage scenario. If you think that is wow, see what happens on a regular laptop: fast boot times in Windows 8 - YouTube. I counted 6 seconds to start screen. And no, startup times do not "deteriorate". It is just that you install more programs and more of them need to start up at boot (if you want them too). Microsoft were not kidding when they said it's the biggest advancement for operating systems since Windows 95.

whatsinaname said:

As mentioned, I believe TM was only usable with networked drives. In which case, WHS is way better.

As far as touch is concerned, i am not in favor of it. I mentioned i dont like it.

Sub said:
If you think that is wow, see what happens on a regular laptop: fast boot times in Windows 8 - YouTube. I counted 6 seconds to start screen. And no, startup times do not "deteriorate". It is just that you install more programs and more of them need to start up at boot. Microsoft were not kidding when they said it's the biggest advancement for operating systems since Windows 95.

Agreed. I had to install the Samsung drivers for my old phone (waiting for a webOS replacement), and :facepalm: the drivers made the machine slower by 5~10 seconds.

linuxtechie said:
Good, :) So far its clean. We guys have matured a lot I guess.

The real shit has not arrived here yet, I guess. ;) But then kudos to everyone for controlling their temper, including sunny27 ;)

Back