I have a 16 core 48GB machine

being a "shared" machine is a bit of a downer yes... maybe the thread title should be "WE have a 16 core blah blah" :)

so you have sun's "niagara" UltraSparc T1 octa-core CPU server too? neato

i dont like sun or its products (overrated crap) but the Niagara 1 and 2 CPUs are cool

KingKrool said:
BTW, I haven't told you guys of my 32 thread server yet have I? A gift from Sun....heheh..... that is being setup at the moment...
Show-off.. :bleh:

Nevertheless awesome stuff. What are your primary applications for this setup like? Or is it NSA confidential?

Hmmm... primary application is running simulations. We modify processor architectures and operating systems to run on these modified architectures. The architecture mod is all in software (we don't have actual silicon) so we run it in a simulator. The simulator has a 1:200000 slowdown (if not more)... so we need powerful CPUs. We often use a 1000+ node cluster, but we want our own stuff too.

It may take a little longer to get you those screenshots, I am unable to get vnc to work.

Does it run crysis on ultra high???:bleh:

Get those snaps out quick...Im beginning to think this is april fools a bit in advance(cant help, the title is more lik when we were in school..."mere pas 10 real aeroplanes hai!!!"):bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :rofl:

Jus kiddin...:tongue:

^ I dont doubt his showoff what he is saying is correct and such computer does exist , its just that they are useless for us in normal conditions :p

^You sure? I mean, look at the response!

OK guys, I haven't been able to get vnc working yet, I'll talk to the guy who does the sysadmin sort of work in our group, and hopefully should be done soon. The next post from me, should hopefully contain proof.

it would have been an awesome showoff it it werent a shared (server) or whatever.

if this was a single user's DESKTOP, now that would be mind blowing :)

16 core machines, while not common are not exactly an impossibility either, - they exist and more then just a few, but I serious doubt if the prime reason for purchase would be playing some daft inefficiently written game (that is exactly what Crysis is, INEFFICIENTLY coded). And I seriously doubt if loading these silly games is even considered.

In all probability this is it Intel® Xeon® Processor 7000 Sequence Overview

TheIndian said:
playing some daft inefficiently written game (that is exactly what Crysis is, INEFFICIENTLY coded).

The AI may be badly coded but as far as the engine performance is considered, CryEngine2 is the most efficiently coded engine that comes to my mind. Its way ahead of COD4, Source and UT3 Engines as far as efficiency of coding is concerned. The fact that the the game is playable even at 12 FPS is s proof of the fact.

Anyways those machines are made for a different purpose altogether and probably I the performance of that machine would be worse than my own rig for games.

hehe....my office linux machine has 4 cores and 16gb ram....some machines have 8 cores and upto 64gb ram.....its not a big thing :p My friend is in Shell, bangy and his machine runs nvidia quadros in sli for gpgpu :p

KingKrool said:
Heheh. You guys are antsy. I've yet to go into office. I live in another timezone you know. I'll give you screenshots soon.
You need to suggest Linux based benchmarks, no Windows on this machine.
Of course I'll let you down a bit by saying this is a shared machine (6 people have access to it, but only 1 or 2 will be using it at any time. That is because we also have an 8 core (2 x quad core Xeon), and people have stuff setup on that...)

1'st of all congrats on that gr8 machine . As far as Linux is considered why don't you use Arch Linux or Cent OS.. Since you are into Linux from past compiling OS from source will be easy for you.. ArchWiki :: Beginners Guide - ArchWiki

Ubuntu 7.10 is the Linux install. We need absolute uptime, so we can't waste time compiling packages or configuring stuff.... The fact is some of our benchmarks take 3-4 days to complete (the record was 66 days running 24x7 on an opteron). There is also a Windows install, but another group will be using that (they paid for half the server, but they only need it for 2-3 weeks a year!). Don't know which version, might be Vista, might be XP.

Man, the vnc server keeps on crashing. I can't get any screen shots. The best I can do till now is a display of /proc/cpuinfo.

It is a 4 socket Xeon Quad Core (Xeon 7350 @2.93ghz).

Back