i... wait for it..... Pad!!! :)

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
This just in.... (okay, not just, but yesterday evening. :p ).

Probably the first one on TE... I guess.

As always, let pics talk and click on pics to view larger version.

Heyyy.... I know what's in that box...

TADAAA!!! iPad...

iPad, Apple Case, Wall Charger and Dock Connector Cable

Bottom of iPad. 30-pin Apple Dock Connector, Speaker Grill.

Right side of iPad. Volume Rocker keys and Orientation Lock (to stop screen for auto rotating, like when you want to read book while sleeping on your side)

Top. The lock button, Headphone Jack and Mic hole.

The Gorgeous lock-screen. The display is a beautiful IPS panel.

The Home Screen... So many apps already? yep, we were tooooo eager to play with it before taking the snaps. :p

The home screen auto-rotates in horizontal mode. In fact almost most of the interface works in both orientation. Something I would like to see in iPhone.

Browsing on this thing is awesome. I didn't have any WiFi reception issues, even in my bedroom... and loading and rendering of websites is snappy. This is the ultimate couch-potato media consumption device. Don't be surprised if I end up putting some more weight on me, this thing is going to make me all the more lazy. :p

iBooks... This is the library (or book launcher screen). You get Winnie the Pooh book free with iBooks app.

You can change the font type (5 typefaces), font size and adjust screen brightness. Vertically, you can read one page (the best way IMO) or two pages in horizontal mode (good for maybe picture books). The interface is just super awesome and natural.

The scrolling through pages is fast (here I'm holding it mid-way just for photo's sake). You can jump through chapters, navigate by index or search. You can also bookmark, specific paragraph or word and jump to that spot/page directly from your bookmarks.

Photos app. One of the major usage for iPad as seen by photographer in me.

Navigating is cool and gimmicky and yet never gets in your way, it just all flows naturally.

Photos look just gorgeous on that bright IPS panel. Ultimate photo presentation device for photographers.

This is Air Video app, which let you stream videos from your PC to iPhone/iPod or iPad. It can read many video format and let you play them on your iDevice with live conversion. It's an awesome app.

The second point of usage as seen by comic lover in me. The first thing (or second thing after photos) that popped in my mind after the iPad announcement was COMICS... this can be "THE" comic book reader I was waiting for... and believe me. IT IS.

Two pages view in horizontal mode.

Sexy Back.

The case. I checked out some other cases, but I think at least for now, this is the BEST case you can get for iPad. It's not really cheap, but it's actually very good and works as advertised.

You can use the case in tilt mode, which keeps your iPad in slightly tilted mode for more easier typing on table.

... or you can use it viewing stand, for watching movies or playing photo slideshows. If you're buying an iPad, this case is a must-have accessory in my opinion.

-------------------------------------

It's a 32GB WiFi model. Wasn't really interested in 3G version, at least for now. Maybe when second revision comes next year, will get another one with 3G. Hopefully, by then we will see 3G getting more common here in India, hopefully. :)

The interface is blazing fast and responsive, not to mention Apple still has the best touchscreen experience in the market. Each part of UI is well thought and ridiculously clean and detailed. The experience of using each app and screen must be experienced to believe. Many people wrote a lot about why it's not good and what all things it's missing... but trust me, whatever this thing CAN do, it does it best. Everything is well thought-out. The two most important things that I found well suited for me, Photos and Comics. The built in photo app is just too good and seriously the IPS panel makes viewing and showing photos on this thing a great experience. I also found a great free comic reader app, which let me view my CBZ format comic books (CBR support is coming soon) is equally easy to use and nice experience to read comic books.

Overall, I'm very happy with this... the few issues I have with it aren't exactly hardware related. One major gripe is (and let this be an advice to whoever wanna buy this right now before it officially launches in India)... the App store doesn't work on iPad if you have Apple Store account registered with India address/billing info. Since the iPad isn't launched worldwide fully, App Store and iBook store doesn't work here. You can browse and download Apps on your desktop in iTunes, but some of the apps are simply not available in India App Store, specifically Apple apps such as iBooks and iWork apps. Most of other iPad apps are available for purchase from iTunes (Desktop client). So bear that in mind before getting one from US. There is slight work-around for this which enables accessing App Store from iPad itself, but this only let you download free apps from iTunes store and you need valid US postal address and phone number (any will work as long as it's valid).

EDIT: I forgot to add that the keyboard is joy to use. As a matter of fact I'm typing this on iPad right now... Cheerio!! :

---------------------

Oh... I know, the damages right??

EDIT:

The whole shazzam (iPad, the dock and the Case) cost me about $700 (or little bit over) including taxes... so that would be about 30-32k depending how you convert the dollars. I didn't want to disclose it as this was a gift to someone special, but what the heck. I'm too lazy to reply too many PMs... :bleh:

Congrats Yogi! :D

Thats looks more like a mini hands-on review. :p

Brilliant snaps as always. Don't be surprised if someone leeches those images. :lol:

@Fah33m: Thanks... be sure to be there in the next meet, I might bring it along. :p

@Gannu: Thanks mate... I guess I should start watermarking my pics, but I just hate to ruin the shots by putting some marking smack in the middle and putting it corner is too easy to remove... oh the dilemma. :lol:

... and yeah I'm gonna still call u Gannu, your new nick is too long to type :p

Congrats Yogi. :)

Hows the audio quality? Thinking of getting either a netbook or the iPad for the 1+1 hour bus journeys everyday. Need something which could triple up as a eBook reader/occasional chess companion and a fair music source.

PS: (Damages and source in PM please. Will be travelling in June so...)

@Sarang: If you've listened to iPod/iPhone before then the SQ is almost the same. At least I didn't find much difference from my iPod and iPhone. Considering the great battery life this thing gives, it's a great traveling companion. I read couple of chapters of book and I didn't find the backlit screen putting any strains on my eyes. That is, of-course considering the fact that I'm used to reading full books on my LCD.

@salluks: Ummm... okay... I'll take that as a compliment. :p

iGo said:
@Fah33m: Thanks... be sure to be there in the next meet, I might bring it along. :p

Yeah sure ! I am defintiely not missing it in that case.Just a n00bish doubt, can the iPad be jailbreaken as well for those *ahem* apps ? :ashamed:

By the way what did you use for the white background in the snaps ? The snaps are really aw-inspiring .

@Fah33m: Technically, it can be jailbroken... but I doubt there is any "easy" way (app or steps) for normal user to do so. Similarly, I don't see much interest in Jailbraking it till the 3G version come out or more interest by world-wide launch.

So far I didn't find any need for jailbreak or "ahem" apps as most of the apps for my need can be found in App Store, and most of them are free. The only apps which I found good enough to pay up for were dirt cheap (for example Air Video for $3).

As for the background... well that's a small story in itself. I was tired of shooting stuff on my floor and didn't want to shoot it on wooden table (it has dark plywood). I searched for some white sheets but couldn't find any. After about an hour of checking and searching, it struck me that I've decently big white-board in my room. So I unmounted it from the wall and used it as my surface. :)

^ Excellent pics and excellent buy.. Apple really know how to tug at your wallet strings with the amazing UI experience they provide... superb pics man, i had to say it again :)

Back