CPU/Mobo i5 CPU config..help needed

Hi,

MSi P55 65 or Gigabyte P55 UD2 both are good.

But the MSi P55 65 had issues

1) Not working with some models ( after going through comments on page 2) of certain branded (like corsair,Corsair, BFG, Thermaltake)Power supplies i.e. channel well supplies, So get it confirmed from someone if it works with your chosen power supply (GA -650)( link: AnandTech: MSI P55-GD65 - Mid-Range P55 for the Masses)

2) It has some issue with auto timing setting of DDR3 rams in excess of 1600 though it would be solved by BIOS update) you should be safe with this problem with DDR3 1333 though. ( same source). And yes it performs slightly better than UD2 :hap2:.

So just get the two things sorted out n you r good to go

:clap:

But its at 9 ~ 10 K

So Gigabyte UD2 is much better VFM at 7K !!

Hey guys,

Thank you everybody for all your help.

I'm purchasing the system the coming week.

The config I have decided on is :

P55 GA UD2 Motherboard.
Intel i5 Processor.
4 Gb Transcend Ram.
HP DVD Writer
HAF922 or Storm Sniper Cabinet.
Hyper 212+ Cooler
550vx Corsair SMPS
1GB Powercolor 4850 or 1GB 4770.
1TB Seagate HDD.

Hey guys...

Thank you all for your feedback and patience..

Lucky that I was pointed out about the MSI compatibility issue!

I've checked out prices and am going to get the rig next week..

What I've decided on are :

Intel i5 Processor

GA P55 M UD2 Motherboard

4 Gb DDR3 Transcend Ram

Seagate 1 TB HDD

HP DVD Writer

HAF922 or Storm Sniper Cabinet

550vx Corsair Power Supply

Hyper 212 Plus Cooler

Graphics..

1GB ATI HD4770 [DDR5 , Memory Bus Width : 128]

or

1GB ATI HD4850 [DDR3 , Memory Bus Width : 256]

Also,could someone please be kind enough to shed some light on this scary thread..??

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/of-psu-ups-pfc-sine-wave-114774.html

Thanks..

Spekt.

Hey guys..something happened and my purchase got deferred by a week or so....I happened to chance upon....

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/keep-phenom-ii-x4-955-get-152109-2.html#post1323087

Please check out post 22 on this thread..(sorry for the inconvenience,no clue how to direct to a certain post.)

I was aware of this issue but always thought it was happening only to people who were oci'ng.

Fresh complains seem to indicate P55 socket damages even without oc'ing.. :huh:

Might this affect me?

[GA P55 M UD2 Motherboard]

Thanks..

Spekter

Spekter said:
Hey guys..something happened and my purchase got deferred by a week or so....I happened to chance upon....

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/keep-phenom-ii-x4-955-get-152109-2.html#post1323087

Please check out post 22 on this thread..(sorry for the inconvenience,no clue how to direct to a certain post.)

I was aware of this issue but always thought it was happening only to people who were oci'ng.

Might this affect me?

Thanks..

Spekter

Tomshardware has already went past 4ghz oc on P55 without any burns .

It turned out that the motherboard already had over-current protection built-in, and ASRock had simply neglected it in the BIOS, believing that average overclockers wouldn't need it. A BIOS update to version 1.80 was the sole requirement to fix the P55 Pro, and ASRock even had Newegg ship a retail sample from its normal stock to prove this.

Mobo bios max voltage was set at 1.80v default keeping in mind that extreme overclockers would not need it . Now a bios revision ti 1.80v has been issued and no harm has been detected so far .

Follow the links below

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-motherboard-overclock,2460-2.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-motherboard-overclock,2460-8.html

Spekter said:

Might this affect me?

Thanks..

Spekter

You get those problems with some motherboards (Foxconn,has higher cases) and certain LGA 1156 sockets (LOTES, Foxconn). So all boards using foxconn/LOTES sockets will have problem, they have released revised design, not sure about its performance though. Even a gigabyte board has had that problem without overclock but it was a solitary case. So almost all brands have faced this once, either in overclock or without it. But you dont have to be very worried about it as there are few cases only. Chances of socket burn are more due to cracked pins due to improper applied force.

Cheers

hey spekter.. do share with us the final price at which u actually buy the components.. i too was gonna make a rig for me but things have had to be postponed due to issues.. would like to know what is the actual expenditure

Hello guys..

Thanks w1nd and Emil...that issue got sorted out.It seems the different kinds of sines do not make much of a difference as long as there's no prolonged use on the UPS.

Anubis,Zopeon I guess you know by now I can't thank you enough for all your patience and inputs. :)

Anubis,Prankster and Prett....I got the prices a few days ago.These are the cheapest prices I got.Don't think they've gotten any cheaper since then.

Cpu - Intel core i5-750 (2.66Ghz) 9450

Mobo - GA-P55M-UD2 6900

Ram - Transcend 2x2gb 1333mhz ddr3 5400

HDD - Seagate 500gb 3825

Optical drive - HP DVD writer 1175

Graphics card - ATI HD 4850 6950

SMPS - Corsair VX 550 5500

UPS : APC 1000 VA - 4500

Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 1300

[All are without tax.]

My purchase got deferred...will update prices again if they happen to change.

^^

Ram - Transcend 2x2gb 1333mhz ddr3 5400 < from where ?

I got my Ripjaws CL7 1600MHz for 5.4k

and i would say buy hyper 212+

Spekter said:
Cpu - Intel core i5-750 (2.66Ghz) 9450

Mobo - GA-P55M-UD2 6900
Wow awesome prices on these two. Is this from some TE dealer or local dealer?

Also, +1 to w1nD
buy hyper 212+. If u dont want to spend now, use stock for now and get 212+ some time later.

Hey guys..

I got my new rig a while back but sorry for posting so late..got a little busy.

Processor - Phenom 965 BE

Motherboard - MSI 790GX-G65

Ram - Transcend 2x2Gb 1333mhz

GPU - 1Gb Powercolor HD4850

Op Drive - Samsung

HDD - 1TB Seagate

- 1TB WD External

UPS - APC 1100va

SMPS - Tx750

Cabinet - HAF922

Mouse - Logitech MX518

Had to change my mind about i5 at the last moment because of some other posts I went through.Once again,thank you everybody for all your time and inputs.

:)

Back