ICICI bank - an unbelievably incompetent bunch of people

Can't. If you have 40k limit, then Max you will get 30-35k credit. You need to start small first. Like take 10-25k stuff on EMI for 3-6 months. Then if by mistake you only pay the minimum due they will call you and increase the limit. Happened to my colleague who has same card as mine. I paid in full and my limit was 40k. He took phone and camera on EMI and paid only minimum due and got his credit increased to 50k first then it became 65k. Mine was still at 40k after not taking any loan or EMI. He ended up getting 2-3 cards with 1L limit even though he can't pay such high amount ⊙⁠﹏⁠⊙
That's funny :p

Lol I have a 5+ years worth of credit history :dead:
You should have mentioned it then. If you claim you are just green on cibil then anyone is going to assume you are new in the banking.

Maybe you probably aren't making big transactions on your HDFC banks.

There are other hidden factors too. Banks don't tell it. Your name (and in turn your religion/caste). Nature of your business/job. If you or a family member work in defence/police, that's a negative. There are tons of these factors.

You should have mentioned it then. If you claim you are just green on cibil then anyone is going to assume you are new in the banking.

Maybe you probably aren't making big transactions on your HDFC banks.

There are other hidden factors too. Banks don't tell it. Your name (and in turn your religion/caste). Nature of your business/job. If you or a family member work in defence/police, that's a negative. There are tons of these factors.
They are just sucker! I was offered millennial card in first go! got a confirmation call from them and was told the card will be dispatched in next 2 to 3 business days. and then something happen. they told it will take 7 days more. and later when it came. it was moneyback card for no reason with that 10K limit. why would you do it where every step is processed with a confirmation call and this happens. Then the later experience. I just lost the interest afterwards!

They are just sucker! I was offered millennial card in first go! got a confirmation call from them and was told the card will be dispatched in next 2 to 3 business days. and then something happen. they told it will take 7 days more. and later when it came. it was moneyback card for no reason with that 10K limit. why would you do it where every step is processed with a confirmation call and this happens. Then the later experience. I just lost the interest afterwards!
I have had similar experience with another bank. Offered one card and delivered another.

^SBI is notorious for this, especially if you try to apply for the Cashback credit card which is hard to get.

Anyway, I've had positive experiences with ICICI. Recently opened an account for my mom in an ICICI branch nearby, entire process was super smooth.

They recently downgraded the mobile website it seems. Earlier last month, I was getting all the info I wanted on mweb after the app started checking for dev options. Now I have to log in on a PC. So inconvenient.

I had not so good exp with HDFC, so Axis remains my primary account. I was thinking of opening an ICICI savings account as I have their CCs, the dev options check on app lost them a customer. IMO all banks in India are bad, you find the best among the worst.
Just now checked I too have Dev options enabled and on a custom rom. enabled dev options on wifes phone and no such issues with any bank apps.

Which's your phone?
I am in the green zone :dead:

I only wish to buy some high ended product with cc like lens, laptop and so... now without a high limit, how to take loan on the same :artist:
I never got this logic! Why will banks give a lower credit card limits to a noob?

When I first applied for my first CC back in 2016, ICICI was offering 45k limit. When I asked for higher limits they said you better opt for some loans even personal loans will do or hold other banks CC.
I went for HDFC which gave me 1.38lacs.
After using it for few months, I reapplied for ICICI and they gave me 1.50L. Then future cards game was easy as while applying for any CC across banks, they automatically get to know your limits and you can even negotiate for a higher one.
I now have limits of 7-8lacs which I never asked for but automatically offered based on my spending pattern where 85% I use on online transactions and rest 15% on dine-outs, traveling etc. yet my yearly spends are not even 60k.
And ICICI and Axis are very much humble to offer credit limit increase at least once a year.

Last edited:
Just now checked I too have Dev options enabled and on a custom rom. enabled dev options on wifes phone and no such issues with any bank apps.

Which's your phone?

I never got this logic! Why will banks give a lower credit card limits to a noob?

When I first applied for my first CC back in 2016, ICICI was offering 45k limit. When I asked for higher limits they said you better opt for some loans even personal loans will do or hold other banks CC.
After using it for few months, I reapplied for ICICI and they gave me 1.50L. Then future cards game was easy as while applying for any CC across banks, they automatically get to know your limits and you can even negotiate for a higher one.
I now have limits of 7-8lacs which I never asked for but automatically offered based on my spending pattern where 85% I use on online transactions and rest 15% on dine-outs, traveling etc. yet my yearly spends are not even 60k.
And ICICI and Axis are very much humble to offer credit limit increase at least once a year.
yesterday I was just talking with one of my colleagues and even he said that he have a CC limit of around 2 Lac or so. and he don't even have a credit history. Plus its the HDFC card itself!

Which's your phone?

S20FE on A13. If your app is not updated, don't update it.

If your app is not updated, don't update it.
Updated here only after updating the app...
yesterday I was just talking with one of my colleagues and even he said that he have a CC limit of around 2 Lac or so. and he don't even have a credit history. Plus its the HDFC card itself!
@lockhrt999 This was point. Back then my office colleagues too. having zero credit or loan history were enjoying limits over 1lac with no questions asked.
And been here a loyal ICICI customer for 5+ years his is their policy across customers it seems!

Previously pushed stupid imobile update to check developer options and now strangely checking vpn connection too.
"A VPN connection is detected on your mobile device. For a safe banking experience, please turn off your VPN."

Their systems must be shit. Probably fired all the good employees and the new ones don't know anything.
Next they'll ask us to turn off mobile to have a safe banking experience. Mobile phone detected. Please use pc to have a safe banking experience. (⁠ノ゚⁠0゚⁠)⁠ノ

Edit: Look at the invasive permissions it requires to give a "safe" banking experience.

Screenshot_20230422-120037.png

It's like a spyware app. Wants to know all the apps installed on phone, wants full internet permission, wants to control WiFi, wants to download stuff and show on lockscreen without permission, schedule alarm probably to spam ads in your phone, prevent phone from sleeping because they want their shitty app to run 24/7 and drain battery, plus not seen in this image they want to read contacts. Like a Chinese scam app that lends people money. This stupid bank will probably start crypto mining on the phone in 1-2 updates.

Last edited:
Wants to know all the apps installed on phone,
I suppose it checks if you have any remote control software. The SBI app refuses to install if you have any such software like Anydesk installed.
The permissions are indeed invasive but you can block some of those and the app may work. I generally use the Internet banking portal instead of banking app.

Last edited:
How do you block permissions without root? Some of those permissions look impossible to block without root like that schedule exact alarm, or run at startup. Easier way is to not use the app.

Some of those permissions look impossible to block without root like that schedule exact alarm, or run at startup.
I said some and not all. Check what shows up in your permissions manager. Not all will show up. I don't know if you can disable some them by ADB. In either case the app may refuse to work.
Better to use the online portal.

SO I went to the icici bank site to pay my icici cc and it wants me to register that biller thingy. That went automatically. All good.
When i go to see the standing instructions on my icici cc, it charged me 2 rupees to view that detail which was behind some other login page. SO do they charge 2 rupees every time i want to see those details? makkhi choos bank imo.

SO I went to the icici bank site to pay my icici cc and it wants me to register that biller thingy. That went automatically. All good.
When i go to see the standing instructions on my icici cc, it charged me 2 rupees to view that detail which was behind some other login page. SO do they charge 2 rupees every time i want to see those details? makkhi choos bank imo.

Should be reversed immediately IIRC.

Back