ICICI Bank Data Leak

kartikoli

Skilled
ICICI Bank leaked millions of records with sensitive data, including financial information and personal documents of the bank's clients.

• ICICI Bank, an Indian multinational valued at more than $76 billion, has more than 5,000 branches across India and is present in at least another 15 countries worldwide.
  • A misconfiguration of the bank systems exposed millions of records with sensitive data.
  • Among the leaked data were bank account details, bank statements, credit card numbers, full names, dates of birth, home addresses, phone numbers, emails, personal identification documents, and employees' and candidates' CVs.
  • Cybernews contacted ICICI Bank and CERT-IN, and the company fixed the issue.
Source https://cybernews.com/security/icici-bank-leaked-passports-credit-card-numbers/

WTH is going on these days :mad:

Like I said in a different thread, it is run by a council. What did one expect?

Banks force customers to change passwords frequently, block copy pasting, do all kinds of nonsense which does absolutely crap sh1t to increase the security. But for them themselves don't follow good practices. In my experience, crappy looking software will have crappy security.

No wonder they were forcing people to lock down their phones. This is just misdirection. Wave one hand and other hand does funny business like magicians. Their server had holes in it so they blamed people for enabling developer options or using vpn. :mad:

Last week their 3D Secure Server (in which you input OTPs) was down for me for 2 days. Then this week they are forcing you to disable developer options.

Other banks have worse software. ICICI i feel is the most decent of the lot followed by SBI. Atleast from a look and feel perspective. I am not an expert to comment on how the backend is.

Does it mean company deliberately or accidentally or some other reason?
Thats what the site heading said but I guess intentional leak wasn't there intention, its just negligence on there part.

Is it better to get the credit cards replaced with new ones? Or cancel the cards altogether?
I am No expert but the common sense says to replace your card with new one so if someone tries to do something funny with old card you are are safe.
Banks force customers to change passwords frequently, block copy pasting, do all kinds of nonsense which does absolutely crap sh1t to increase the security. But for them themselves don't follow good practices. In my experience, crappy looking software will have crappy security.
Exactly

Is it better to get the credit cards replaced with new ones? Or cancel the cards altogether?
I wouldn't worry about it, you can always dispute unauthorized transactions. And this time it should be even easier with this news article. If the bank thinks the numbers can be misused it's on them to automatically send replacements. I'd be more concerned about these though:
  • ...full names, dates of birth, home addresses, phone numbers, emails, personal identification documents, and employees' and candidates' CVs.

Not surprised. I have seen private banks running old legacy systems connected to the internet with no layer of MFA to get into their systems. They take little effort in keeping their IT infra up to date in the name of keeping their sites and ATMs available 24/7. The end result of this is just more downtime.

ICICI will be let off with little to no fine and it's BAU as everyone has forgotten about it.

Neither they'll consider this as a lesson learned nor they will proactively patch up or educate staff or update their IT infra.

As for credit cards. They are up for sale already somewhere on the darknet. All you can do is pay close attention to transactions, close or block cards.

Well leaked personal info and phone numbers means lots of spam calls . And i also received a notification in app to disable developer options few days ago , I just though the new update must have detected something but now its unfolding .

ummm... I guess no one informed their marketing department of the leaks or ET for that matter, I just got this in email :wtf:
1682423020898.png

I don't think its from a user side. might be man in middle thing ...
Not a user side thing, not even a middle man thing. Everything was available to download off the shelf. Like right clicking on an image and clicking 'save as'. Incompetence level 100%.

Why is the bank of this size not own its own servers? Why is it using digital ocean which is an american company? I like digital ocean. It's nice but I didn't imagine banks would go serverless like this.

Govt will hush the matters as it does always. Most of the web startups in India have been hacked and leaked the customer data. Now we are seeing old banks leaking data like this. Security is highly underrated here.

Not a user side thing, not even a middle man thing. Everything was available to download off the shelf. Like right clicking on an image and clicking 'save as'. Incompetence level 100%.

Why is the bank of this size not own its own servers? Why is it using digital ocean which is an american company? I like digital ocean. It's nice but I didn't imagine banks would go serverless like this.

Govt will hush the matters as it does always. Most of the web startups in India have been hacked and leaked the customer data. Now we are seeing old banks leaking data like this. Security is highly underrated here.
there was a discussion on why I want to check for a indian server for my playground. sounds like we have a answer for that question! LOL :p

there was a discussion on why I want to check for a indian server for my playground. sounds like we have a answer for that question! LOL :p
Well, it kinda doesn't answer your question. Digital Ocean do have servers in India. :p Indian bank wouldn't use servers located outside. And not to mention, this fault has nothing to do with digital ocean.

Last edited:
Mofos are forcing you to disable something as simple as developer options. But they leak data not by any attack but by misconfiguration of their own doing. These guys have to be the biggest jokers in the market.
All restrictions are for users only.

Mofos are forcing you to disable something as simple as developer options. But they leak data not by any attack but by misconfiguration of their own doing. These guys have to be the biggest jokers in the market.
All restrictions are for users only.
ICICI be like to prevent future leaks please disable Developer Options, enable Iris Scan and keep your phone locked in a safe at night.

Classic gaslighting. This wasn't a data breach, it wasn't a hack, it was sheer carelessness and incompetence.

Edit: I suggest everyone to disable all international transactions. Domestic you can leave enabled as those require OTP. Keep an eye out for small transactions that you didn't make.

Back