Graphic Cards IGPU for Desktop | DGPU for Gaming

CeyeN

Disciple
Background:

I currently own a 5800X + 3080 which is really power-hungry(240W+) even for simple tasks like writing documents etc, Because it has to run on the DGPU due to the missing IGPU in the processor. I feel guilty every time I see it sipping so much power for doing simple tasks which can be easily performed by a 15W laptop. Now I'm planning to downgrade to a 5700G, which not only has an IGPU but also consumes half the power of a 5800X.

Question:

Has anyone has experience with such a setup where in normal desktop use (Browsing, writing documents, Running Lightweight programs....etc), The system automatically uses the IGPU and when I launch a game, It automatically switches to a DGPU?.

I know this GPU switching feature exist as my HP Pavilion laptop from 2012 Had it, but it was implemented by the Manufacturer. Does Win 11 has this feature built in?, If so how easy and seamless is it to use. Please share your experiences.

It's not too bad right now, But it did touch 94 when I ran a 4K YouTube video. That's the problem, I cannot always keep an eye on the power usage. But if I can simply use the IGPU, I will know that it is well within the limit.

1683719352175.png

If you are that much paranoid about power consumption, do yourself a flavor and buy a wall wart AC meter, which will tell you the actual power consumption of your PC, don't fully trust any value that your PC tells you, do it the right way, get in there.

Maybe you'll find out that it's not consuming that much power at all.

Wouldn't you have to physically change your display plug from your 3080 to the motherboard to use the iGPU?

Anyways I found this, it might help
Yes, I have read that I have to run another HDMI cable from my Motherboard to the monitor to allow the IGPU to take over, So there will be 1 from DGPU and 1 from IGPU.

I did watch a bunch of videos and a few threads online, looks like there are various ways to achieve this(windows Setting, Nvidia control panel, Bios Etc). Just wondering if anyone here has any experience doing this, And how good is the experience. I don't want my user experience to be spoiled because I want to save a few watts.

Even if you disable the device I don't think you would be able to completely cut off power from the dGPU.
It's a futile effort. If you really care, make this a dedicated gaming machine and buy/build some power efficient machine for daily use tasks.

It's quite possible you'll end up spending way more on the new machine than saving on electricity.

Easier would be to buy a nuc for all non gaming use. Buy something with an i3 processor. Connect this to the second input of your monitor and have a cheap mechanical usb switcher for input.

Even if you disable the device I don't think you would be able to completely cut off power from the dGPU.
It's a futile effort. If you really care, make this a dedicated gaming machine and buy/build some power efficient machine for daily use tasks.

It's quite possible you'll end up spending way more on the new machine than saving on electricity.
Thanks. I don't have any stats on how much power a unused GPU inside a Desktop will draw. Although I expect it to be very minimal since it's not drawing any frames. My laptop can double up as a low power machine as well but I'm a sucker for an all in one solution. Thanks for the advice though

I think you should get a wall meter and test the consumption for few days (or calculate amount of energy used per hour while not gaming after recording it for atleast 10-15 hours). Then only you can get a clear picture of energy consumed.

A single max reading of 94 W say nothing about actual energy consumed.

As long as the GPU is plugged in, it will still draw some power (which might be significant as here we are trying to save every watt? ).

Moreover, do factor in the time, energy and money spent to get a CPU with iGPU.

I think you should get a wall meter and test the consumption for few days (or calculate amount of energy used per hour while not gaming after recording it for atleast 10-15 hours). Then only you can get a clear picture of energy consumed.

A single max reading of 94 W say nothing about actual energy consumed.

As long as the GPU is plugged in, it will still draw some power (which might be significant as here we are trying to save every watt? ).

Moreover, do factor in the time, energy and money spent to get a CPU with iGPU.
I monitored the power consumption in my APC Backup pro UPS, which shows an average of 140W during normal usage. Deducting 50W for monitor and 10W for the rest of the accessories, chargers etc. My Desktop itself is consuming only around 80W.

I stand corrected with my first statement where I said 240W, It looks like that's the GPU Power consumption at load while gaming.

Well, With all the insights that I have gathered from the comments here, It looks like what I'm trying to achieve is too much of a hassle with little difference and does not guarantee a seamless experience.
Just to conclude, I was anyway planning to downgrade to a 5700G as I'm having a small DAN A4 Mini ITX case and the 5800X does seem to get too hot even though I use a 240 mm AIO. It also sips 135W while gaming!. 5700G can give me the same performance at half the power consumption and offer better thermals!.

I might still downgrade if I secure a good deal in the forum, as I will solve my thermal issue with the CPU and also could experiment with the IGPU + DGPU setup.

Thanks everyone for your advice, Cheers!!!

If you are looking at productivity with efficiency, you can't beat Samsung phone with Dex. Decent to browse the web, send emails and type out stuff, can easily play youtube videos. Plus it has decent standby/sleep life if you go only wifi.

I used my LG G8x, for browsing, using a USB Hub and bluetooth keyboard. It worked decently enough, and when charging it won't take more than 18 Watts or PD charging, not to mention I could use it for 3-5 hours on battery as well.

If you are looking at productivity with efficiency, you can't beat Samsung phone with Dex. Decent to browse the web, send emails and type out stuff, can easily play youtube videos. Plus it has decent standby/sleep life if you go only wifi.

I used my LG G8x, for browsing, using a USB Hub and bluetooth keyboard. It worked decently enough, and when charging it won't take more than 18 Watts or PD charging, not to mention I could use it for 3-5 hours on battery as well.
I never really experimented with DEX even though I've had Samsung S series flagship since the S4 days. But recently switched to Pixel, So can't really test it out. But I'm planning to pick up a Tab S7+ for cheap. Will try DEX and see how it goes.

Background:

I currently own a 5800X + 3080 which is really power-hungry(240W+) even for simple tasks like writing documents etc, Because it has to run on the DGPU due to the missing IGPU in the processor. I feel guilty every time I see it sipping so much power for doing simple tasks which can be easily performed by a 15W laptop. Now I'm planning to downgrade to a 5700G, which not only has an IGPU but also consumes half the power of a 5800X.

Question:

Has anyone has experience with such a setup where in normal desktop use (Browsing, writing documents, Running Lightweight programs....etc), The system automatically uses the IGPU and when I launch a game, It automatically switches to a DGPU?.

I know this GPU switching feature exist as my HP Pavilion laptop from 2012 Had it, but it was implemented by the Manufacturer. Does Win 11 has this feature built in?, If so how easy and seamless is it to use. Please share your experiences.

in windows settings under graphics settings you can select what GPU to use for each application, i just did that yesterday and it works, then any unnecessary load you can put under iGPU instead of DGPU. Try and see.

you have to select each application you use and select power saver for it, youi will be able to see iGPU there.

in windows settings under graphics settings you can select what GPU to use for each application, i just did that yesterday and it works, then any unnecessary load you can put under iGPU instead of DGPU. Try and see.

you have to select each application you use and select power saver for it, youi will be able to see iGPU there.
Thanks. I found the setting and as expected it shows only my 3080. But where do we set the default IGPU. In other words, can you set the default GPU to IGPU (for browsing and normal desktop use). How do we set the desktop to use the IGPU?

1683890029843.png

Thanks. I found the setting and as expected it shows only my 3080. But where do we set the default IGPU. In other words, can you set the default GPU to IGPU (for browsing and normal desktop use). How do we set the desktop to use the IGPU?

View attachment 167973
right now you have 5800x which doesnt come with iGPU thats why it shows 3080 in power saver mode.

i have i5 12400 model which has intel iGPU, so as per the photo u sent, in the power saver mode it shows intel hd graphics instead of my GPU.

right now you have 5800x which doesnt come with iGPU thats why it shows 3080 in power saver mode.

i have i5 12400 model which has intel iGPU, so as per the photo u sent, in the power saver mode it shows intel hd graphics instead of my GPU.
Yup, I got that. But when you are in Desktop, does it use the IGPU?. There is nowhere in the settings where you can choose which GPU to use for desktop.

Yup, I got that. But when you are in Desktop, does it use the IGPU?. There is nowhere in the settings where you can choose which GPU to use for desktop.
what do you mean by desktop? every application will run iGPU once you select it, then DGPU usage will go down to 0. thats the point right ? it will always consume the minimum power so long as its connected to power. that cant be changed i think.

what do you mean by desktop? every application will run iGPU once you select it, then DGPU usage will go down to 0. thats the point right ? it will always consume the minimum power so long as its connected to power. that cant be changed i think.
I think he means that when no application is running and just the desktop is showing on the screen.

I think he means that when no application is running and just the desktop is showing on the screen.
Yes. This is exactly what I meant.

Will the igpu be used for every application for which the dgpu is not explicitly selected. What GPU gets used for system apps like explorer.exe taskbar etc.

Back