India has restricted imports of laptops, tablets and personal computers with immediate effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this really true? It is so backwards… sounds like reliance jio guys lobbied to remove their competitors. :facepalm:
It's not banned or anything, it's just an overreaction. It can't be freely imported by companies, they'll need a license going forward, that's all. Although undesirable, it should not have any noticeable impact on price or availability

It's not like it's duty free right now, duty is already there.
Many products under 8471 are currently not under duty, GPUs, CPUs, H/SDD. Now that this CTH is under scanner for restrictions, we will see tariffs on them soon.

The pessimism here is astounding. Phone assembly has achieved some momentum on account of similar measures and laptop assembly will too, if manufacturers are to access the market at large.

It still applies existing rules to import of one device, so it is not as if personal imports are affected, only mass imports by manufacturers. It will definitely impact availability of some products but then this is more of a measure to push local assembly and create more low-skilled jobs.
yeah, exactly. I suppose it will be the same as how phones are done, and things will be fine. I think this is fine, if we get assembly here, atleast it incentivizes jobs here and gets more expansion scope later on. Not a big fan of china having a monopoly in manufacturing, so this is painful but necessary. I am optimistic though. Most here wont be.
I just hope PC parts are exempted.

yeah, exactly. I suppose it will be the same as how phones are done, and things will be fine. I think this is fine, if we get assembly here, atleast it incentivizes jobs here and gets more expansion scope later on. Not a big fan of china having a monopoly in manufacturing, so this is painful but necessary. I am optimistic though. Most here wont be.
I just hope PC parts are exempted.

They didn't mention about PC parts so will be allowed. Btw if someone wants to import 1 whole PC that is also allowed (duty extra obviously), refer 3rd point in that document -
Exemption from Import Licencing requirements is provided for Import of 1 Laptop, Tablet,
All-in-one Personal Computer, or Ultra small form factor Computer, including those
purchased from e-commerce portals, through post or courier. Imports shall be subject to
payment of duty as applicable.

There is a reason (actually many historical reasons) most of us feel like policies like these will ultimately go against consumer interest (also pushed sub-standard items in the market).
Ambani/Adani and such businessmen are major influencers (don't ask me) in making govt. policy. Sometimes they backfire but most of the time these businessmen convert them into their own profit with very little benefit return to consumer/govt taxes.

What my 2 Cents are, Govt is trying to tax whatever they think can get them revenue. Online gaming to Laptop Import, what ever they feel like.
absolutely.
Bte someone give them idea that they can make most money by taxing PH, pay per view style. thumbnail view 1 rupees, 30 sec video 2 rupees, pay 5 rs and watch full video.
online gaming I totally support though. by gaming, I mean, gambling.
and this , only 30 rs ka game - (nsfw-ish image)
00hb06szpxfb1-_1_ (1).jpg

Last edited:
@6pack about your comment on onions, why it needs to be imported so much ? Isn't it comparatively easy to grow ? Or is it that due to farming costs, its more viable to import from far away countries ? Strange situation.

Wondering how to find what kind of agro-commodities are being imported and their costing.

It'll certainly be making niche (read not selling in mass quantity) laptop/ devices much more expensive.

Laptops like fijutsu UH-X or LG gram have their limited buyers not every store carries them.

Same is case with other equipment like for example sony FX6 seems OOS online most of the time, what will happen to Quadros etc only god and govt knows.

but govt is hell bent on squeezing people buying these in order make profit/ please nonproductive part of society.

as if already paying ₹12000 for $100 item wasn't enough for them, they're on path to make it cost us ₹20000 for same $100 item. (assumption of same inr/usd rate as of now only increase in markup)

/rantend

Putting restrictions on import exports doesn’t help local manufacturing. It simply creates monopolies/duopolies and innovation stagnates because local companies won’t have competition.
Take an example of tata/ashok leyland until people started experiencing volvo buses. India should should make free trade agreements not impose tariffs.

It is evident that India, like many other countries, imposes taxes on imported goods to protect domestic industries and foster economic growth. While such policies may have certain advantages, I understand the concerns raised about the potential adverse effects they can have on international trade and the global economy.

From my viewpoint, finding a balance between protecting domestic industries and promoting a healthy global trade environment is crucial. Unwanted taxes on goods not produced in India could lead to increased costs for consumers, limited access to foreign products, and strained relationships with trading partners.

As the world becomes more interconnected, it is essential for governments to work together in fostering an environment of fair trade and open dialogue. Collaborative efforts to reduce trade barriers and engage in constructive discussions about taxation policies can lead to mutually beneficial outcomes for all parties involved.

I believe that India has the potential to strike a balance between supporting its domestic industries and encouraging international trade. By carefully evaluating taxation policies and considering the long-term implications, we can work towards creating a win-win situation for both India's economy and the global market.

But this is how I think, and maybe not the Politicians. So guys, be prepared for expensive laptops and games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back