India makes USB Type-C charging mandatory for device makers from March 2025

Barrel connectors on laptops hold much tighter than USB-C plugs and allow higher power (above 100W charging) as well.

I wonder what the interest of GOI is to emulate this EU directive. They want to reduce e-waste

Barrel connectors on laptops hold much tighter than USB-C plugs and allow higher power (above 100W charging) as well.

I wonder what the interest of GOI is to emulate this EU directive. They want to reduce e-waste
Those won't be outlawed. This is mainly for smaller devices consuming less power. For devices with higher power requirement than what USB-C port can provide, this just means that manufactures have to allow charging over USB-C port too. Most new laptops already have this dual charging option. This makes it mandatory for all.

Those won't be outlawed. This is mainly for smaller devices consuming less power. For devices with higher power requirement than what USB-C port can provide, this just means that manufactures have to allow charging over USB-C port too. Most new laptops already have this dual charging option. This makes it mandatory for all.
You mean they allow barrel connectors in addition to USB C ports ?

You mean they allow barrel connectors in addition to USB C ports ?

Not sure of Indian law in particular, but when EU announced this, I read a similar discussion and it was mentioned that for devices requiring higher power draw, barrel connectors will work with USB-C. I am guessing that India will copy EU's homework. There's no reason to force manufacturers to remove a better connector. This law is introduced to reduce e-waste and to create an industry standard.

it was mentioned that for devices requiring higher power draw, barrel connectors will work with USB-C.
This is the bit I don't understand. How do you make a barrel connector work with USB C. ?

The power adapter will have to allow two kids of attachable wires, one with USB C and another with a barrel connector for higher power

Right now, you either get power adapters with one or the other. Not both.

So you would have two ports to charge from or more. The usual barrel connector and USB C. If you want to use the latter you will need to get the appropriate adapter on your own.

This is the bit I don't understand. How do you make a barrel connector work with USB C. ?

The power adapter will have to allow two kids of attachable wires, one with USB C and another with a barrel connector for higher power

Right now, you either get power adapters with one or the other. Not both.

So you would have two ports to charge from or more. The usual barrel connector and USB C. If you want to use the latter you will need to get the appropriate adapter on your own.

Yes, it is assumed that most people have more than one USB-C adapters. Devices will not be shipping with them. That's their argument to reduce e-waste.

My office laptop has a dedicated port for regular charger, but also accepts power over its USB-C port. This is fairly common in latest gen laptops.

This has come in handy for me as I keep one charger at home and use a regular USB-C charger in office. I could have bought 2 HP chargers as well if USB-C support wasn't there, but this arrangement means:
  • I also have a phone charger with me at all times, because phone also uses USB-C power delivery
  • If my laptop changes tomorrow to something else, my extra charger won't go to waste. Which is exactly the point of this regulation.

I have two work laptops. A dell and a hp. Dell came with a barrel charger even though it has a usb c charging port. The hp on the other hand has a usb c port only for charging it.

Usb C seems to be future for all devices. Moreover with mobiles now coming with high power adaptors, we could soon see universal chargers for most electronic devices.

MaSh

What will happen if we plug a laptop C charger to a mobile? Will it go into fast charge mode ?
A device draws power, you don't push power into the device. It'll charge normally at whatever the max charging rate is supported by the device (phone in this case).

Similar to what happens with PCs. You put a 1200W PSU on a machine which peaks 350W power draw your consumption will remain same.

What will happen if we plug a laptop C charger to a mobile? Will it go into fast charge mode ?
Depends on the phone. I don't get the fastest charging with the S20FE because it uses a slightly modified protocol. Maxes out at 15W which is slower than its fastest rate which is 25W. I'm not bothered as I've slowed the charge rate down to 9W and the phone battery hardly heats up at that slow charge rate.

You will only get the fastest if you use a phone built for USBC-PD. That is Intel's USB-PD which only the American phones google & Apple are fully compliant with.

Others will not charge at their fastest charge rate.

There are two scenarios, each with their own result:
1. Charger and device support compatible fast charging standard - this can be something like Qualcomm QC or USB-C PD. In this case, the devices will negotiate the power to be provided. For instance, if I use a 65w charger which supports 18w profile over USB-C PD to charge my Pixel 4a, which also supports USB-C PD, then it will provide 18w power and phone will fast charge
2. Charger and device do not support compatible fast charging standard - suppose charger only supports warp charge and phone only supports USB-C PD. They won't be able to negotiate higher power, but they'll know which is charger and which is capable of delivering power. So charging will happen at 5v 1Amp or 5v 2Amp (5w or 10w) slow charging rates.

In any case, a high powered charger will never damage a low powered device, unless it's a poorly manufactured or faulty device.

In simple terms, the receiving device is like your regular tubelight or fan or airconditioner. It will consume only that much power that it is designed for, irrespective of the voltage carried by the power lines the house.

MaSh

In simple terms, the receiving device is like your regular tubelight or fan or airconditioner. It will consume only that much power that it is designed for, irrespective of the voltage carried by the power lines the house.

MaSh
This is actually not the right analogy. If you put a 440v line into your house directly, it will fry almost all of your electronics. That's not the case with chargers.

MaSh
Voltage is same for every household item. It is the current drawn by the device which varies. A refrigerator and an AC both work on 230 volts but the current drawn by AC is 8-10 amps and even higher depending upon the tonnage while refrigerator consumes much less current and hence much less power consumption than the AC.

Back