Indian BLACK MONEY: 1.45 Trillion USD (1450 Billion USD / 65,25,000 Crores INR)

Indian law states that you have to pay taxes only when your money is brought to India. What seems to be the problem if people have thousands of crores in offshore accounts? They dont want to bring it here, its their wish.

NinByChoice said:
Indian law states that you have to pay taxes only when your money is brought to India. What seems to be the problem if people have thousands of crores in offshore accounts? They dont want to bring it here, its their wish.
well then the question wud be.. how was that money generated?? where did it come from?

They might have rendered services (a job maybe) or invested in a company/stock market overseas. Or they maybe running a business or even farming. I can run a restaurant in Switzerland and choose not to bring my profits back to India. As long as Im paying local taxes and abiding by local laws, there is no issue.

What an Indian citizen does in another country is not the Indian Govt. concern.

DigitalDude said:
if anyone has any iota of interest in the black money or corruption issue please listen to this. 74 mins speech along with transcript. one thing I would like to mention: there are details about how corporates use ipo and black money funds to rig the stock market.

Corporate Corruption – Dr Swamy « Zoom Indian Media_
I have lot of interest provided sources provided are non-partisan ie not anti-(any political party), am prolly the only person here that read your linked IFI report linked earlier going by next to zero mention of it by others. That was a quality contribution from you :)

But you are falling for a charlatan here with Subramaniam Swamy. This blog post slams the media take on these issues and calls them corrupt. I would rather use the term inept or mediocre. The shows mentioned do not always lend itself well to a subject like this due to their format. They are like fast food instead of a main course. Notice when i say this there is no partisan promotion at all, it is an objective observation. The only exception i would say is 1onone by paranjoy thakurta on lok sabha tv. But this show does not have any presence on the web, no transcripts no video streams nothing :(

Again the usual complaints of S.Swami not gettting airtime because the media is corrupt and he is so honest. In reality media is private and they choose who they want, swami has been given airtime on various shows, so its not like they ignored him, But they are not going to offer their platform as a pulpit for this character to promote himself.

What has S.Swami achieved to date ? Until he can show some victories i see no reason to waste any time on him at all. Why can't he work within the system quietly in his corner instead of appearing on tv every month or so. It's clear he calibrates his moves depending on how much publicty he can get especially when elections are close. First heard about this joker in Sept last year, where was he hiding until then. Clearly, six months before the elections is best time to make an apperance.

He's part of the team that is opposed to Congress, thats all. He is more against congress than he is against corruption. His actions to date confirm that. For the more dim witted reading this there is no problem with being anti-this party or that, but if you say you are for a certain cause, one expects you to concentrate on that alone and not score cheap points.

TBH i'm rather fed up with how all i get in the media is either BJP or Congress propaganda or some other clown's propaganda. Very little that educates one about the issue at hand. Its either about this person or that person rather than systemic issues. Personalities rather than core issues. Always some masala

S.Swami then makes the claim he can 'cure' corruption. What a load of misleading BS. You do not 'cure' corruption, you minimise to the point that is acceptable and leave it at that otherwise you end up with a police state. Does this so called prof of Harvard not realise this simple fact. Of course he does, but more important question is do YOU realise he can say he tried and not have to succeed at it at all. Just has to make noises and you think he is a good guy.

You need to understand the premises of the argument offered and the inherent limitations of the approach to gauge the chances of success. But they never tell you this, that is why i do not trust S.Swami at all. He is nothing more than a shrewd self-promoter.

blog said:
Finally he said my criminal complaint is valid but he also said that as a complainant I had some responsibilities and when that is over, he will consider appointing me as a public prosecutor and it will be known on 5 February.
Feb 5 has come and gone, well what is the result ? Nothing.

The other points he makes comparing the US & India is well known already. The simple reason is there is more accountability and independence of systems there. That is a US unique feature. Here, it is not considered proper if the ruling class cannot lord over each & every other institution for the public interest. Therefore there is no accountabilty. so how can you expect anyone to get caught.

Start increasing accountability and increase independence of bodies and give them real powers instead of just some fancy title. Sit back and be amazed with the results. Will not change unless the ppl demand it instead of some self-interested individual.

blog said:
Important thing is that there is a criminal law in India that if individuals read and understand it, anyone can be caught. Anyone can go to court and file a case. You must have the stomach to fight it if you are threatened as happened to sonewala or to these RTI people; risks are there. If too many people stand up, there is nothing corrupt can do.
This is why i asked earlier for whistle blower legislation & witness protection.

blog said:
Later on I got sanction to prosecute J Jayalalithaa. I was able to send her to jail on custodial interrorgaton basis. By then Muthuvelu Karnunanidhi came to power. He was more corrupt than her. He took all cases away from me by passing a legislation in assemby where-in all cases where Tamil Nadu Govt had 1st fled an FIR, prosection will be done by Government public prosecutor and he backdated FIRs to predate my complaint. Those cases are still going on. Some of them got transferred to Karnataka. One of the cases is reaching judgement stage. There is a danger to J Jayalalithaa there. But then we had to fight Karunanidhi in election. J Jayalalithaa came to meet me and said “You may not like me, but we can fight karunanidhi together”.
Let me get this straight, S.Swami files cases against Jaya, then Karuna passes legislation that makes those cases go away. Then Jaya comes and asks to join forces to fight Karuna. Does this make any sense at all ?

One way of reducing corruption is tax people less. allow them to keep the proceeds of their work. Then there is less incentive to hide money and send it out of the country. loose all these suffocating regulations. Why so much duty on this and that for whatever reason. This is only compounding the problem. Every one of these steps means ppl are required to police at various stages and they are very open to bribes. Take away the reason to give the bribe in the first place.

So long as the system does not reform itself it does not matter who is in charge of the country as nothing will change. So the attacks on Sonia et al are useless.

blog said:
I was in TN village. Villager asked me can you tell me how many zeros are there in 2G scam. I told 11 zeros. People have become excited about this. Many people have asked me what is this 1G, 2G…Someone asked Manmohan Singh what is 2G. He said..Yes, Sonia G and Rahul G.
rahul G + sonia G = 2G :lol:

blog said:
During the spectrum sales process, Home Ministry kept quiet. Home Ministry in another context had written a letter to Finance ministry and to RBI that as far as Etisalat and Telenor are concerned they are undesierable from national security point of view. Why? Home Ministry said, Etisalat is controlled by ISI of Pakistan. I checked Etisalat website and they themselves acknowledge that 27% of Etisalat is controlled by Government of Pakistan. Home Minstry goes one step further and says that one of the Etisalat directors is a close associate of Dawood Ibrahim.
So to those ppl learning MBA, does 27% constitute a controlling share ?

blog said:
Telenor buys equipment from the Chinese People Liberation Army. Telenor has developed a software by which anyone that uses Telenor SIM card can be tracked any time, any where.
Oh and other mobile companies do not do this ?

blog said:
PM may not carry this phone. His PAs, his peons, his drivers, end up carrying Telenor. Then if necessary they can be tracked by Telenor. They are going to put up towers.These towers can hear other people”s conversations. Now, in US, they dont allow foreign companies to do all this.
I see, so why did obama have to give up his blackberry when he became president ?

blog said:
This is because National security is involved. Here it has been sacrificed because of the money that has been made. I am saying that corruption completely undermines values to the point where even national interests are sacrifiecd. That is why it is dangerous.
Rubbish ! This guy' needs to get a better technical team me thinks :)

blog said:
I corresponded with Manmohan Singh. I asked the PM, what are you doing about it. After much prodding he acted; but he is refusing to release the names. Because one of his top minister’s son’s names is believed to be there in one of the accounts. One top industrialist’s name is also there in the account. This is only for a small country like Lichtenstein. Imagine what it will be for Switzerland.
Already covered before, no mention of confidentiality requirement at all. Plain mud slinging for effect.

blog said:
One of my students at Harvard is in Switzerland. I still teach every year a semester in Summer. My student is holding a key position in a bank in Zurich. He told me that there is a law in Switzerland by which GoI can get all the information if they so want. GoI should issue an ordinance, if they want to get the details quickly. The ordinance should declare that all accounts by Indian passport holders in Switzerland are here by nationalized; and if any of those account holders prove to us that the money held in Switzerland is legitimate, we will de-nationalize that account. all others will be Govt property. Switzerland will be compelled to execute that as they cant have illegal accounts. PM of course cant do anything today.
Heh, what ?

Say you have an account abroad, what would you think if GOI told the country to confiscate your account and list it as GOI property. And he wonders why GOI will not do such a thing :lol:

So you can see a pattern here of making absurd suggestions then blaming govt for not acting and saying it is corrupt bla,bla etc.

blog said:
Second thing is why is there so much corruption after liberalization. I am not sure. During permit license quota raj too there was much corruption. Numbers today are much larger. Our economy is also much larger today.
But earlier he said,

"Let me say some sectors were very corrupt and today are relatively honest. Railway reservation. In 1970s, it was hell to get train reservation. Rajiv Gandhi among the good things he did was bring in the computerization of railway reservation. Today by and large there is no corruption. So corruption was eliminated in Railways by eliminating discretion.

So he admits it went down, but what he does not say is that in the 70s black money economy was much larger than white economy. That picture is completely opposite today. More reforms are needed.

blog said:
I am almost certain on corruption there is that kind of consensus. Country is ready for major change. So instead of spreading gloom that nothing is going to happen, which I think, Congress party people are doing, something must and will happen. This atmosphere of hope and optimism must be spread as foundation for attacking corruption.
Then start my making moves that matter instead of only trying to promote yourself !
Stop making absurd charges and that lead nowhere because the premises are wrong to begin with. Oh, one does not need to come from Congress party to say this.

Seriously, if this character is the best we have for tackling corruption we are not in very good shape :(

blog said:
Q: Who can eradicate corruption?

A: Pls dont think of Bhagavad Gita Yada Yada Hi Dharmasya, Glanir Bhavati Bharata out of context. You are there. You elect good people. Change will come. Politicians think only way to win is by giving money and buy loyalty. That psycholgy in politicians can be changed only by people.
Note how he says corruption can only be tackled with the right personalities. There is no mention at all about systemic improvments at all, In fact it was never mentioned in the first place. If you reform the system then there is less requirement to have the right personalities. In fact thats a weakness. What if there are no good leaders at a given point in time ? country goes for a toss. Of course not.

@blr_p

The congress has been at the forefront of all of the country's historical scams and corruptions. The country has been under the rule of congress for virtually eternity except for the only single full term of a non-congress govt by BJP. Majority of the politicians and bureaucrats are corrupt to their DNA. The culture of corruption is root deep in the Indian society everyone does something to get even the essential things done. Also due recognition should be given to people like Sharad Pawar and Karunanidhi and co. apart from congress. The situation of our country cannot be compared to any other country on this planet.

and in this scenario if you you think that one has to be totally non-political to fight this cancer, then you must be in delusion. Anna Hazare.. even though there is tremendous support from the public, without political backing (i'm assuming), congress agents and maoists (the real charlatans) like medha patkar, sandeep pandey, aruna roy, agnivesh, even the bhushans I suspect (i'm surprised there is no arundirty roy this time) are hijacking the centre stage.. though they were blaming all ministers and politicians in general, in the end SoniaG was being portrayed as supporting Anna Hazare and placards were seen with slogans like 'need our vote, then give us janlokpal' like if janlokpal bill is passed then it automatically absolves congress govt out of the scams and can be elected again. what nonsense.. same drama was played by congress before RTI which has done nothing much than to expose petty corruption and the faces of huge scams but no use against the real architects. I fear the same drama will be played again and janlokpal will be forced to become another unelected body of madam's puppets just like the NAC which itself is an unconstitutional body and keeps drafting its own bills while rejecting those formulated by the cabinet.

there is also this guy Dr.Jaiprakash narayan of lok satta. he was your type of guy. totally non-partisan and always talking about systems like electoral reforms and decentralisation. but he got not much progress and eventually formed lok satta party and decided only political power will be able to get things done. he still does not speak about any particular party but highly stresses the importance of reforming the democratic system. he has represented his views several times to the PM and cabinet but there's no result yet. poor guy he was even attacked physically in AP assembly for not supporting the telegana cause.

then there is raghunandhan of janagraha (ipaidabribe.com) who want Indian govt to ratify the UN convention against corruption. a simple move would bring a lot of changes. but are they successful in moving the govt even an inch ? there are lot of these ex-IAS officers (like sanjeev of BFN) who are ready with systems and policies for better governance and electoral processes. but they are not able to breakthrough by being non-partisan. you need good political power to counter corrupt political power.

systems, policies and reforms don't have their own brains and will not promulgate themselves. first you need to uproot the root causes of corruption and deception through lawful means there are enough effective existing laws.. but very less people to put up a fight using them. then only you will be able to bring in reforms and install robust systems and policies. just because swamy is opposing the congress and it's leadership does not mean he does not have any views on reforms and state policies. he considers it a priority that the corrupt first should be stripped of power then only there will be any chance of reforms.
by your statement regarding the Karuna-Jaya matter in the article, I'm sure that you have not listened to the audio and also you don't understand TN politics based on dravidian ideology.

One has to give due credit to swamy for putting the 2G scam centre stage by being instrumental in making the SC monitor the CBI probe and getting Raja arrested. he has been vocal about the 2g scam well from the day UPAII came to power in 2009 and had been writing several letters to the PM to look into the matter. only after PM kept mum for several months he filed petition in SC in the beginning of 2010 for PM to reply and he did reply vaguely. while all this was happening media was doped with the CWG scam episode. only when the CAG report on 2g loss became public media gave importance to it.. that also very late after the CAG loss amount began to resonate with the public. so your perception that swamy just surfaced 6 months before the election is because of your source the media.. which is not the fact.

in TN he single handedly derailed the sethu-samudram project which was a cash cow much bigger than 2g for the K&co as the dredging and yearly maintanence which would be handled by sons of a tainted ex-central minister from TN. even BJP filed cases against sethu-samudram project on religious lines and failed to get the stay from SC. I'm also aware of several cases taken up by swamy and also won in TN. and have also seen him being hounded by both dmk and admk hooligans. so it is easy for me to assess him and form a positive opinion. but I understand it will be difficult for you to see through the same perspective and change opinion on a man who you already painted as charlatan in your mind.. not knowing much about him is also not going to help.

his letter and subsequent meeting with the then president Dr.APJ for objecting SoniaG becoming PM by citing 'the privileges of a foreign national taking Indian citizenship being limited by what that foreign country provided to a Indian citizen taking up their citizenship' effectively made Dr.APJ to stop madam from becoming the PM (in Italy an Indian citizen after becoming an Italian citizen can't become head of the state). any other president would have caved in to the pressure and would have not entertained swamy's objection. this is probably the predominant reason why APJ was dumped after UPA came to power even though he was muslim (in addition to the fact that he came during BJP term). then that particular schedule was also dropped from the citizenship act of 1955 by an ordnance (which can still be challenged in court) passed in 2005.

only he has the guts to go directly against madam (who is probably a front face to carry out the jesuit-evangelist-rothschild agenda in this country) and congress - the fountainheads of corruption. so please don't call swamy as charlatan. there are countless number of people who are heading this country now fit for that title. thanks to the present UPA coalition they are making other corrupt politicians of the country look like pickpocket robbers.
your indifference to the etisalat issue is appalling. it does not need an MBA to know that 27% need not be a controlling stake. but that is not a negligible proportion to discard. when shivraj patil was the home minister in 2008, his ministry on the inputs from intelligence issued warning to govt telcos that etisalat is suspectedly acting on behest of ISI so not to form alliances or procure services from those firms (huwaei having a hand of PLA and few other companies were also suspected). this info was also used by a CBI/govt counsel in arguing a different case in SC (i think it was against STel). so bringing the national security angle to the 2g probe made it further strong in the hands of SC and gave more reasons to cancel the licenses. and the reason obama can't use a blackberry is because RIM is a canadian company. yes tracking is how gsm works but it is better done by a govt telco or even an Indian company than a foreign one having hidden agendas. So I think swamy does not need a new tech team though he has a good investigative team and access to a lot of whistleblowers and govt officials. he even used to speak a lot on more protection to whistle blowers but not much legislation came out of that.
and regarding that Feb 5 date. what you know that you are saying nothing happened ? after that hearing, as SC formulated a special court for 2g scam, swamy's petition for appearing as the PP was transferred to that special court and next hearing was scheduled for 25th of march. but if swamy becomes PP then all hell will break lose for UPA, so they are persisting with lalit (who also appears as PP for hasan ali). I dunno the further developments which I will go through.

and media is not private but have just become stooges of congress government. here NDTV ranks no 1 to suck up to the nehru dynasty. NDTV's chief prannoy james roy has a CBI case against him (startv vs doordarshan) and he his shielded by congress. so he has to accommodate all these along with suzzanne arundati roy, and leftists views also as his wife and co-owner radhika roy is related to brinda karat. then CNNIBN ranks second, their allegiance is well known rajdeep and sagarika madam are vocal anti-hindus. rajdeep, barkha and sangvi have not appeared before PAC regarding radia tapes-2gconnection... they are also protected by the same mysterious force ;) while times group is a bit ok though arnab seems to be very stupid.. sometimes he comes out as non-partisan and TOI though reports as if it got paid for the news, most of the time it's articles are ok. I can go on and on as the tangle in the mainstream media is so complex. but I just want to make a point that media is not just a private organisation but full of allegiances. now how will they give good coverage of people like swamy, dr.jp and other honest people with excellent policy ideas etc.,
and don't think that corruption can't be cured, it can very well be cured in the long term by a strong leadership supported by robust policies and a society that respects moral values. your assumption that for corruption to be completely uprooted will result in a police state is also wrong, for a police state will easily aid corruption on a large scale. and an almost police state China does not rank better in the case of corruption.. they hang corrupt people but still there is no dearth of corrupt cases.

finally remember one thing
"Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through."
-Jonathan Swift

So never discredit the importance of a strong leadership, no amount of systems, policies and laws can substitute that.
sorry for not being organised in replying, I didn't have enough energy :ashamed:

_

k482zd.jpg

DigitalDude said:
@blr_p

The congress has been at the forefront of all of the country's historical scams and corruptions. The country has been under the rule of congress for virtually eternity except for the only single full term of a non-congress govt by BJP. Majority of the politicians and bureaucrats are corrupt to their DNA. The culture of corruption is root deep in the Indian society everyone does something to get even the essential things done. Also due recognition should be given to people like Sharad Pawar and Karunanidhi and co. apart from congress. The situation of our country cannot be compared to any other country on this planet.
Don't forget the period just after Emergency too.

Why do you care who rules at the centre ? all you care about really is WHO rules in your state. They're the ones that will implement any directives from the centre. All politics is local. Look around, how many states are Congress led to begin with ? They're in the opposition lots of the time especially in the south.

Nobody cares which party rules in Gujurat so long as it is Modi. They don't care who rules in the centre so long as it does not interfere with Modi. This exemplfies the situation for the rest, it does not matter which party but rather WHO is in charge. This is a problem because once that person goes then there is lots of uncertainty over who will fill their shoes.

So the charge that given Congress has ruled the longest, therefore its the most corrupt rings hollow, its meaningless. Congress has been able to rule for as long at the centre because it's been most successful at making the partnerships that retain it at the centre.

DigitalDude said:
and in this scenario if you you think that one has to be totally non-political to fight this cancer, then you must be in delusion. Anna Hazare.. even though there is tremendous support from the public, without political backing (i'm assuming), congress agents and maoists (the real charlatans) like medha patkar, sandeep pandey, aruna roy, agnivesh, even the bhushans I suspect (i'm surprised there is no arundirty roy this time) are hijacking the centre stage.. though they were blaming all ministers and politicians in general, in the end SoniaG was being portrayed as supporting Anna Hazare and placards were seen with slogans like 'need our vote, then give us janlokpal' like if janlokpal bill is passed then it automatically absolves congress govt out of the scams and can be elected again. what nonsense.. same drama was played by congress before RTI which has done nothing much than to expose petty corruption and the faces of huge scams but no use against the real architects. I fear the same drama will be played again and janlokpal will be forced to become another unelected body of madam's puppets just like the NAC which itself is an unconstitutional body and keeps drafting its own bills while rejecting those formulated by the cabinet.
But life after RTI is better than before isn't it. Small steps in the right direction. Lokpal bill as it stands needs some more work, its not ready yet. RTI started off with some farmers in Rajasthan and civil society caught on. That is a direct example of not being political and getting it passed in the end.

You cannot trust politicians to have your best interrests at heart. They only care about themselves, first, then the party, then the country and finally you. This is why any political entity that proposes anything needs to be treated with circumspection. As i said earlier madam or not, so long as politcos can interfere in the running of any body then it makes no difference who is in power. It's a systemic problem and needs to be treated as such. Why do you trust certain politicians over others in that case.

It's crucial that non-political ppl be given more audience because they have no self-interst and are more objective in their diagnosis. How will you tell whether a politicain is lying or not otherwise. You have to understand what the problems are, they are mostly systemic, and Indian in charge or not, any other ppl would end up with the same mess. In fact when ppl say our netas & babus are the most corrupt or Indians are just like that its conveniently dodging the systemic issue and needs to be flagged as such.

DigitalDude said:
there is also this guy Dr.Jaiprakash narayan of lok satta. he was your type of guy. totally non-partisan and always talking about systems like electoral reforms and decentralisation. but he got not much progress and eventually formed lok satta party and decided only political power will be able to get things done. he still does not speak about any particular party but highly stresses the importance of reforming the democratic system. he has represented his views several times to the PM and cabinet but there's no result yet. poor guy he was even attacked physically in AP assembly for not supporting the telegana cause.
Yeah, i like what he proposes, pretty straight. We need more like him. Talking about systems is what needs to be done rather than which personality should be doing it. I don't give a damn who does it so long as the system allows it.

More ppl need to understand this and then agitiate to reform the system. Lokpal is an example of this. A ppl that agitiate is better than an apathetic public. Hope there will be more. Only way for the ppl to get what they is by fighting for it. That is the only way it happens anywhere in the world.

DigitalDude said:
then there is raghunandhan of janagraha (ipaidabribe.com) who want Indian govt to ratify the UN convention against corruption. a simple move would bring a lot of changes. but are they successful in moving the govt even an inch ? there are lot of these ex-IAS officers (like sanjeev of BFN) who are ready with systems and policies for better governance and electoral processes. but they are not able to breakthrough by being non-partisan. you need good political power to counter corrupt political power.
These ppl need to increase their public exposure so more ppl can hear about their ideas. An informed populace is better able to make the correct choices.

It would be interesting to see how this UN treaty has done in other countries. What is the level of compliance with ratification of it globally ?

DigitalDude said:
systems, policies and reforms don't have their own brains and will not promulgate themselves. first you need to uproot the root causes of corruption and deception through lawful means there are enough effective existing laws.. but very less people to put up a fight using them. then only you will be able to bring in reforms and install robust systems and policies. just because swamy is opposing the congress and it's leadership does not mean he does not have any views on reforms and state policies. he considers it a priority that the corrupt first should be stripped of power then only there will be any chance of reforms.
Well, what are his views on reforms & state policies ?

From what i can see he is proposing throwing out the baby with the bath water. That is too radical a solution. Where is the guarantee that what follows will indeed be better ? Do we even know WHO will replace them.

Whereas if you reform the system, these changes take place automatically. Witness how once we liberalised the economy picked up on its own just like that.

DigitalDude said:
by your statement regarding the Karuna-Jaya matter in the article, I'm sure that you have not listened to the audio and also you don't understand TN politics based on dravidian ideology.
No, i did not, just went through the transcript. Can you clarify what i'm missing ?

Given you come from TN, can you do this. Tell us what the media isn't. Because i hate to feel like an idiot when talking to ppl fom there. Spill the beans.

Gurcharan Das had a good op-ed in last sunday's TOI. Very simply, if you keep making private gifts to ppl then you will have less to spend on your public infrastructure. You will be mortgaging the future for the sake of the present. That pretty much nails it IMO. Well, start agitiating over this idea and you will see changes.

DigitalDude said:
One has to give due credit to swamy for putting the 2G scam centre stage by being instrumental in making the SC monitor the CBI probe and getting Raja arrested. he has been vocal about the 2g scam well from the day UPAII came to power in 2009 and had been writing several letters to the PM to look into the matter. only after PM kept mum for several months he filed petition in SC in the beginning of 2010 for PM to reply and he did reply vaguely. while all this was happening media was doped with the CWG scam episode. only when the CAG report on 2g loss became public media gave importance to it.. that also very late after the CAG loss amount began to resonate with the public. so your perception that swamy just surfaced 6 months before the election is because of your source the media.. which is not the fact.
So what was swami's contribution here in moving things ? nothing AFAICT. Won't stop him claiming credit over it which i found disingenous.

The CAG report was clearly the catalyst to get things moving.

DigitalDude said:
in TN he single handedly derailed the sethu-samudram project which was a cash cow much bigger than 2g for the K&co as the dredging and yearly maintanence which would be handled by sons of a tainted ex-central minister from TN. even BJP filed cases against sethu-samudram project on religious lines and failed to get the stay from SC. I'm also aware of several cases taken up by swamy and also won in TN. and have also seen him being hounded by both dmk and admk hooligans. so it is easy for me to assess him and form a positive opinion. but I understand it will be difficult for you to see through the same perspective and change opinion on a man who you already painted as charlatan in your mind.. not knowing much about him is also not going to help.
This is what needs to be told. More is welcome. Good & bad. I take it you can talk about the bad as well, right. Otherwise we do not have the required perspective. Go back 2-3 decades at least. My opinion on him is based on just the last six months.

DigitalDude said:
his letter and subsequent meeting with the then president Dr.APJ for objecting SoniaG becoming PM by citing 'the privileges of a foreign national taking Indian citizenship being limited by what that foreign country provided to a Indian citizen taking up their citizenship' effectively made Dr.APJ to stop madam from becoming the PM (in Italy an Indian citizen after becoming an Italian citizen can't become head of the state). any other president would have caved in to the pressure and would have not entertained swamy's objection. this is probably the predominant reason why APJ was dumped after UPA came to power even though he was muslim (in addition to the fact that he came during BJP term). then that particular schedule was also dropped from the citizenship act of 1955 by an ordnance (which can still be challenged in court) passed in 2005.
Presidents term is five years. He served from 2002 - 2007. The only presdient to ever have served two terms is Rajendara prasad. So where is the question of APJ getting dumped ? I mean if APJ got dumped then every other president cept RP & others that died during their term also got dumped. Would you agree ?

DigitalDude said:
only he has the guts to go directly against madam (who is probably a front face to carry out the jesuit-evangelist-rothschild agenda in this country) and congress - the fountainheads of corruption. so please don't call swamy as charlatan. there are countless number of people who are heading this country now fit for that title. thanks to the present UPA coalition they are making other corrupt politicians of the country look like pickpocket robbers.
How about his courage to go after Jaya & Karuna. Let's start small first, can he clean up his state before going after bigger things ? Make a name for himself in TN first, then he'll have more credibilty on the national stage.

As for this rothschild nonsense, would hope you have the better sense not to fall for conspiracy theories. Take it you're familiar with the protocols of Zion.

DigitalDude said:
your indifference to the etisalat issue is appalling. it does not need an MBA to know that 27% need not be a controlling stake. but that is not a negligible proportion to discard. when shivraj patil was the home minister in 2008, his ministry on the inputs from intelligence issued warning to govt telcos that etisalat is suspectedly acting on behest of ISI so not to form alliances or procure services from those firms (huwaei having a hand of PLA and few other companies were also suspected). this info was also used by a CBI/govt counsel in arguing a different case in SC (i think it was against STel). so bringing the national security angle to the 2g probe made it further strong in the hands of SC and gave more reasons to cancel the licenses. and the reason obama can't use a blackberry is because RIM is a canadian company. yes tracking is how gsm works but it is better done by a govt telco or even an Indian company than a foreign one having hidden agendas. So I think swamy does not need a new tech team though he has a good investigative team and access to a lot of whistleblowers and govt officials. he even used to speak a lot on more protection to whistle blowers but not much legislation came out of that.
Ah, but the transcript said it was 'controlled' by the ISI of which GoP only has a 27% stake. They cannot control anything with such a small stake is my point. Etisalat is controlled by the emiratis. Transcript did not mention either why Telenor is undesirable either. To operate in India any company needs to follow our laws. Can you expound further why this is still a problem.

Make sure no neta or babu has phones issued by Eitisalat and the problem is fixed isn't it. I find it curious that the sale went forward in the first place. Where was the ministry right at the outset when the sale was made. It sends a very bad message to foreign investors in the country that once sold can be taken back. This is what happens in China routinely, rule of law isn't followed. We are supposed to be better in this regard, we follow contracts.

DigitalDude said:
and regarding that Feb 5 date. what you know that you are saying nothing happened ? after that hearing, as SC formulated a special court for 2g scam, swamy's petition for appearing as the PP was transferred to that special court and next hearing was scheduled for 25th of march. but if swamy becomes PP then all hell will break lose for UPA, so they are persisting with lalit (who also appears as PP for hasan ali). I dunno the further developments which I will go through.
Point being he is still not PP. Don't care what breaks loose if he is made PP. I want to see some credible victories here instead of mere talk.

DigitalDude said:
and media is not private but have just become stooges of congress government. here NDTV ranks no 1 to suck up to the nehru dynasty. NDTV's chief prannoy james roy has a CBI case against him (startv vs doordarshan) and he his shielded by congress. so he has to accommodate all these along with suzzanne arundati roy, and leftists views also as his wife and co-owner radhika roy is related to brinda karat. then CNNIBN ranks second, their allegiance is well known rajdeep and sagarika madam are vocal anti-hindus. rajdeep, barkha and sangvi have not appeared before PAC regarding radia tapes-2gconnection... they are also protected by the same mysterious force ;) while times group is a bit ok though arnab seems to be very stupid.. sometimes he comes out as non-partisan and TOI though reports as if it got paid for the news, most of the time it's articles are ok. I can go on and on as the tangle in the mainstream media is so complex. but I just want to make a point that media is not just a private organisation but full of allegiances. now how will they give good coverage of people like swamy, dr.jp and other honest people with excellent policy ideas etc.,
Oh give it a rest, NDTV & CNN-IBN are not the only tv channels are they. Neither is TOI the only newspaper. What % of the country follows English media can you tell me ? Its certainly not the majority. So you are overstating the influence these channels have.

As for being anti-hindu, how bout we lose all this pro-hindu BS from interested parties in the first place. Clearly they are reacting to it. We need pro-india, first & last. PERIOD! We already had a paritition. we do not need another. Persisting with this pro-hindu agenda will destroy the country. But the parties responsible can't because then they cannot win enough votes. Well, losing two general elections should have helped get the message across, or do they need to lose yet another. If so then i will paint them as permanent opposition that has no interest at all in challenging Congress.

There are tons of other channels out there. This whole 2g scam is nothing but opposition propaganda. What is the CORRECT price to sell spectrum at ? Can anybody answer that question. Of course not that is why after six months coverage there is STILL no light at the end of this issue.

My critique against the media is they are not probing enough, where is the critical analysis, all they do is repeat what this person or that person is saying or doing. Kinda like when interviewing bollywood stars. Where are the hard probing questions being asked. Karan Thapar is the only one i can see that can do this. Arnab goswamy is a close second but he is more an advocate of his channels position rather than helping us to understand the issue better. Both Oxford grads, arnab though was a post grad unlike karan.

The media here is not independent enough as i would like. Because if they do this aggressively then their offices will be trashed and the miscreants will not be brought to justice. Well, that to me is a systemic problem again.

DigitalDude said:
and don't think that corruption can't be cured, it can very well be cured in the long term by a strong leadership supported by robust policies and a society that respects moral values. your assumption that for corruption to be completely uprooted will result in a police state is also wrong, for a police state will easily aid corruption on a large scale. and an almost police state China does not rank better in the case of corruption.. they hang corrupt people but still there is no dearth of corrupt cases.
Cannot be cured! (certainly take issue with a harvard prof who cannot use words correctly)

Reduced sure. There is no country on this earth that has cured corruption, because in its essence corruption is human weakness and you can never ever rid yourself of that.

DigitalDude said:
finally remember one thing
"Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through."
-Jonathan Swift

So never discredit the importance of a strong leadership, no amount of systems, policies and laws can substitute that.
Sure. But that is the exception, should not be the rule. The system cannot fall into pieces just because an important leader left the scene. There is still too much reliance on personalities.

DigitalDude said:
sorry for not being organised in replying, I didn't have enough energy :ashamed:_
It was a good effort. Took my time over replying so as to counter better.

If this is what you can do when you don't have enough energy am dreading the day when you do :)

^^ that would break the system with overload of complaints and then end up being yet another tool for malicious common men to screw over the ocassional honest babu, in no time at all. The basic flaw in that idea is that it targets the very bottom of the pyramid and hence would require an ridiculous amount of resources a large part of which would be wasted. They way I see it the ONLY way to really bring down corruption is to make it difficuly for politicians to be corrupt.

Back