CPU/Mobo "Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable Desktop Microprocessors"

Intel has always wanted to sell its processors with its (normally useless for us ) motherboards which are selling a lot in the normal market sector, enthusiasts like us who demand high end motherboards are becomong less and less :( all across the world, plus the international trend of tablets and smartphones are making people believe that the cpu company is the one that is to be trusted.
I don't want an intel processor with its soldered motherboard and I would like AMD to come out with something that is superb.

Its a logical step for Intel. They will be consolidating their hold on the market, at the same time they will be able to dictate the entire motherboard+cpu layout/specifications.

With the glut of noobs and idiots (read, indian shopkeepers/buyers) in the market, Intel only stands to win if it starts marketing SOC units.

The average (read, noob) user does not care about chipsets or steppings when they use a pc, as long as it works. Hell, I've seen a guy using a P4, which he thought was a i3 (His shopkeeper "bhaiyya" told him that. Guess who got beaten up that day?)

As long as we have this plague of noob-itis or ignorance, we can only expect these sort of moves from a company that practically runs the consumer cpu market.

If Intel is really going to do it, I have 2 questions:

How the coupling of processors will be done? Strictly defined by ranges?(low-end to low-end, mid-range to mid-range). Because it is not uncommon to see 15k CPU on 25K motherboard.
What happens when Motherboard fails? Will the user get new CPU as well?

This news may be true, but only for portable sector and not for desktop sector. If Intel really decides to do this in desktop segment, they are going to save AMD's marketing money.

If Intel is really going to do it, I have 2 questions:

How the coupling of processors will be done? Strictly defined by ranges?(low-end to low-end, mid-range to mid-range). Because it is not uncommon to see 15k CPU on 25K motherboard.
What happens when Motherboard fails? Will the user get new CPU as well?

This news may be true, but only for portable sector and not for desktop sector. If Intel really decides to do this in desktop segment, they are going to save AMD's marketing money.
7-8 years ago, network cards (NICs) started coming with most motherboards. This integration of CPU with motherboard will be similar. So if onboard NIC fails currently, what do you do? Replace motherboard. CPU failure is very uncommon already (as long as there is no overclocking) so motherboard manufacturer can take that chance.

About pairing, how does any other pairing work? High end shoes come with high end soles. There are exceptions, but it is largely true. High end motherboards come with high end integrated audio (mostly) . High end cars come with high end Tyres. So high end motherboards will come with high end CPUs, for the most part.

Intel is winning a bit too easily these days. If Intel has 95% or so market share, every business decision will be scrutinized hard by fair trade commissions of most countries. It will increase business costs. Intel can cede the low margin business to AMD by this tactic and protect itself from that situation while losing minimal profits.

This proves that they are not emotional kid. :p

- - - Updated - - -

7-8 years ago, network cards (NICs) started coming with most motherboards. This integration of CPU with motherboard will be similar. So if onboard NIC fails currently, what do you do? Replace motherboard. CPU failure is very uncommon already (as long as there is no overclocking) so motherboard manufacturer can take that chance.

Ok, So according to you processor rand NIC are equivalent in terms of importance? :rolleyes:

Ok, So according to you processor rand NIC are equivalent in terms of importance? :rolleyes:

No but it most definitely confirms that for miniaturization to continue more and more chips will be integrated onto the motherboard.

Prime example, SoC systems in current generation smartphones. There are multiple instances of the same primary-chipset being combined / melded with different components to get a different product at a variety of price points.

I didn't say that. If I said that it would have been irrelevant to the topic like your post. And ALPHA17 above is spot on for the technical explanation.

parts of graphics are already being combined by amd and intel onto their cpu's. probably this might be the future - whole computer in a chip. probably southbridge chip to be next on cpu if they go ahead with joining cpu to mobo.
Oh wait - wiki quote shows this
Intel's Haswell, expected to be available in 2013, is expected to feature the southbridge (Platform Controller Hub) on the same package as the CPU for the Ultrabook platform.[citation

And this kind of attitude stops me from posting in Indian forums. (sic)

Attitude of being on topic? I agree it is more convenient to post on random topics.

The user db6mg has joined TE after me, and has more posts than me. If this is called stopping you, I shudder to think what would happen if you were encouraged to post on "Indian forums. (sic)" [sic] by some attitude of someone.

Intel to End Socketed Cpu in 2016

Whether or not Intel will stop making LGA CPUs, or other sorts of socketed CPUs, in the years to come is a matter of some debate, and the believers just got some more food for thought.

Currently, Intel and Advanced Micro Devices design two sorts of central processing units: those that can be removed from the socket and changed, and those that are permanently stuck, soldered as it were, to the motherboards.

Late last year (2012), it came out that Intel was thinking of completely dropping changeable CPUs in a couple of years.

In fact, the timeline suggested the Broadwell release as the time when LGA is abandoned.

Some time after, the rumors were denied, and some of the panic abated. People still talked though, and it looks like LGA chips really might go extinct by 2016. The Tech Report said this, citing a source from a motherboard manufacturer.

On that note, details on Intel's Haswell and Broadwell CPUs emerged in late December.

The information revealed in the leak only barely fits Intel's previous promise that Haswell won't be the last socketed CPUs and that such processors will be available “for the foreseeable future.”

For those that do not want to comb through another article, the bottom line is that Broadwell will have some Core i7 and i5 variants in socketed packages, but that's it. All the others will be BGA chips.

So what does this mean? That DIY PC market (do-it-yourself) will have much fewer options in a few years, since there will only be motherboard+CPU kits on sale.

The name of the Intel CPU line set for 2016 release is Skymont. Some have speculated that Skylake (2015) and Skymont (2016) will still offer socketed versions for Enthusiast/Performance markets, but the opposite may very well be true. No one knows for sure.

Softpedia

The name of the Intel CPU line set for 2016 release is Skymont. Some have speculated that Skylake (2015) and Skymont (2016) will still offer socketed versions for Enthusiast/Performance markets, but the opposite may very well be true. No one knows for sure.
Means expensive CPUs and expensive motherboards. Nothing for price-conscious low-end and mid-range segment.:no2:
Congrats Intel, you've just handed that segment to AMD.

^ why not? Their Brazos line is already bga only. Even though its on 32nm, they could very well be on their way to develop better bga packages in coming years for desktops instead of ultraportables.

^ why not? Their Brazos line is already bga only. Even though its on 32nm, they could very well be on their way to develop better bga packages in coming years for desktops instead of ultraportables.

I meant from the financial point of view. Alienating themselves from all angles, performance below Intel's crème de la crème and shoehorning everyone to pay a premium for the same.

You are right about performance and money. But look at it this way. If Intel supplies only bga packages from now henceforth, they will be the only supplier and thus have a monopoly in that segment. That means complete monopoly in ultrabook and desktop segments for Intel. Would people still buy AMD's chips in that scenario? Possibility is less than 40%. The only people who need to upgrade their pc's every now & then are the top end users. The normal facebook/twitter or browsing & email only checking type of people dont care what they get. They only care about the money they spend. With Bga only packages, the mobo manufacturers and Intel will definitely see boost in sales. Plus with just 1 year warranty, they will not have to look at after sales headaches. So more sales if the machine conks out after 3-4 years of use compared to the more than 6 years of normal wear and tear for these desktops. So its either AMD joins Intel in releasing only these all in one type of packages or stay put and loose out eventually. Either way it looks like a do or die scenario to me.

I guess this is called too much speculation, some reporter has blown it out of proportion. I feel for Intel will not integrate cpu and mobo for desktops. I guess they might be talking in context of Ultra books or mobiles and people are assuming of the whole scenario. Come to think of it, it makes no sense. If Intel will try to do it, all the motherboard manufacturers seeing a Huge loss will gang up and support AMD or some other microprocessor firm financially or technologically and help create new processors to regain their motherboard market and their profits. After all the biggest difference between Intel and AMD is the huge financial muscle Intel has. Amd has been praised to be still competing with their much lower R&D budget. If they get a huge budget like Intel's , probably they could make some difference than disappoint.

Back