Intel 13/14th Gen CPU Issue?

X-Gamer

Disciple
Hi,

Intel 13/14th Gen CPU are degrading over time and I was one of the unluck ones to be efffected by this twice (replacement CPU also ended up having the same issue after 4 months). Wanted to know if there are other users on this forum who have also faced the issue and how was yout intel customer service experience (my experience is horrible and still awaiting on intel to fix their backend shit to get my refund)..

Hi,

Intel 13/14th Gen CPU are degrading over time and I was one of the unluck ones to be efffected by this twice (replacement CPU also ended up having the same issue after 4 months). Wanted to know if there are other users on this forum who have also faced the issue and how was yout intel customer service experience (my experience is horrible and still awaiting on intel to fix their backend shit to get my refund)..
which CPU were you using , I was planning a build on 14600kf, didn't realized the 13/14th gen had any issues .

which CPU were you using , I was planning a build on 14600kf, didn't realized the 13/14th gen had any issues .
I was using 13900K. its all over the internet and even intel is aware of it.

I use a 13700k with PL1/PL2 limited to 200w. Haven't notice any instabilities so far, been rock solid since build. Limiting the power probably helps with degradation.

Those reports suggest that they seem more of S/w than H/w ? Intel 13th gen is from 2022 so it has been some time. So what changed ?

well, the CPU is a K meaning unlocked, and all motherboard partners were following Intel sepc to run unlimited since they told that the CPU can manage/handle it on its own... well guess it cant.

I own a 13600K build and it's been going strong since last January. I haven't put any power restrictions in place and I do a lot of rendering tasks and ocassionally work on some LLMs. The power efficiency and performance of this thing's been crazy for me. I guess I've been lucking out so far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same here. Running a 14700KF at either 200 Watts or 220 Watts max. No performance dip or unusual temperatures during gaming.

I own a 13600K build and it's been going strong since last January. I haven't put any power restrictions in place and I do a lot of rendering tasks and ocassionally work on some LLMs. The power efficiency and performance of this thing's been crazy for me. I guess I've been lucking out so far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same here. Running a 14700KF at either 200 Watts or 220 Watts max. No performance dip or unusual temperatures during gaming.

What cpu cooler are you guys are using with your 13600k and 14700k and how are the temps ?

What cpu cooler are you guys are using with your 13600k and 14700k and how are the temps ?
Mine's DeepCool - LS520 (240 mm) AIO. At idle state, the temps would hover around 35-37 degree mark. During light workloads such as web browsing, document editing, etc, the temps would reach a maximum of 45 degress. At heavy workloads such as scene renders, code compilations, running multiple VM instances, etc the temps would hit 70 (+- 3) degrees and never past that. During all these different scenarios, there were multiple docker containers running in the background. I think one must factor that into account as well. Also, as mentioned previously, I haven't undervolted the CPU yet.

Mine's DeepCool - LS520 (240 mm) AIO. At idle state, the temps would hover around 35-37 degree mark. During light workloads such as web browsing, document editing, etc, the temps would reach a maximum of 45 degress. At heavy workloads such as scene renders, code compilations, running multiple VM instances, etc the temps would hit 70 (+- 3) degrees and never past that. During all these different scenarios, there were multiple docker containers running in the background. I think one must factor that into account as well. Also, as mentioned previously, I haven't undervolted the CPU yet.
are you using this PC in Air Conditioned Room/Office or in normal NON Air Conditioned environment?

I recently heard and read about it and this seems bit concerning as AMD also works at high temps and says is normal but intel knew about this issue and didn't made any changes beforehand.

are you using this PC in Air Conditioned Room/Office or in normal NON Air Conditioned environment?
The room has an AC unit but it's very rarely used. I am pretty sure I took those readings when the AC was turned off. I'll try collecting the readings again just to make sure that's the case. The room temperature according to the air conditioner's sensor is 28 degrees when checked as soon as the AC was switched on. So, it's safe to assume that as the room temperature at which the PC operates most of the time.

I recently heard and read about it and this seems bit concerning as AMD also works at high temps and says is normal but intel knew about this issue and didn't made any changes beforehand.
As the article shared by the OP describes, it's basically down to the default settings in the bios that lets the processor to operate at higher frequencies than what they were supposed to be operating at. While majority of the blame falls on Intel, I think motherboard manufacturers should be held equally responsible for always leaving several dangerous / enthusiast class settings (max power draw, multi core enhancement and so on) at auto by default - which seems to be the root cause of this issue. But Intel is still culpable of not providing motherboard vendors with standard numbers and making it mandatory to use those values as default in their bios settings. This limitation would've kept majority of the users in a safe zone while allowing power users to be able to modify the limits as per their requirement.

Back