CPU/Mobo Intel Conroe News Thread

Most Significant News of the Day:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2711
Spring IDF 2006: Introducing Intel's new Core processors

All of the Core based products will be based on Intel's 65nm manufacturing process, which we've already seen with the 65nm Core Duo and Core Solo based microprocessors. Intel claims that their 65nm manufacturing process offers 20% faster switching and 30% lower power.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2712
Spring IDF 2006: Gelsinger Benchmarks Conroe

Pat teamed up with Microsoft to bring a demonstration of Office 12 running on Conroe as well as Pentium D 950. Microsoft mentioned that Office 12 would have a greater focus on multithreading, and this particular test was of a multithreaded Excel 12 task.

Also My Favourite,
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713
Spring IDF 2006 Conroe Preview: Intel Regains the Performance Crown

Intel setup two identical systems: in one corner, an Athlon 64 FX-60 overclocked to 2.8GHz running on a DFI RD480 motherboard. And in the other corner, a Conroe running at 2.66GHz (1067MHz FSB) on an Intel 975X motherboard.
Even when running a non-Intel created demo, 2.66GHz Conroe offers a 41% performance advantage over the 2.8GHz Athlon 64 X2.

Haha..just today i posted in the thread, "AMD Grabs Over 80% of Desktop PC Sales in the Retail Market" by dipdude that Intel Corp. is no lame spectator...sure they have something up their sleeves...i postponed my upgrade plan solely because of the news of Intel launching CONROE which already had the internet forums buzzing about its performance...Lo and behold...my patience has paid off i guess...:) Thanks Chaos for the update..:) The days ahead are quite interesting indeed!! :eek:hyeah:

if these are true AMD is in serious troble ....

110881ku8mb.png

damn it wat Conroe XE @ 3.33Ghz can do :-O

look after Intel buried NetBurst, everything is possible. ;)

INtel buried netburst?:O
intel dont have ondie mem cointroller still rt?:) conroe loks extremely impressive.

^^Plus Conroe doesnt even have Hyper Threading...seems intel are really looking back into their Pentium pro days for inspiration...they have gone back to 14 stage pipeline for the CONROE from the 31 stage prescott..:S but still it works..:p

i think AMD will come back with some new technology ..... i don't want to act like a fanboy but my last intel was pentium3 AFAIR and i don't wanna move back to intel ......

but at one point its good .... maybe AMD will have to decrese the prices of there dual core ..... like intel had done with there DC.....

Conroe , u rock.

Can someone please update me whats the mobo architecture for conroe.

Whats changes are there in the intels new chip thats really defeating the X2 @ 2.8Ghz.

Let's all not forget that Intel suffers from a pathetic interconnect architecture. AMD's Hypertransport has A LOT to do with their performance.

To quote Arstechnica:

CSI goes AWOL

One of the worst pieces of news to come out of Intel's October roadmap reorganization was the fact that the introduction of the company's long-planned Common System Interconnect technology would be postponed. CSI is the "HyperTransport killer" that's supposed to let Xeon and Itanium processors share the same system hardware. So CSI-based motherboards will be able to accept either a Xeon or an Itanium chip in their CPU socket with only a BIOS tweak.

CSI isn't here, though, and it won't be here this year either. Intel's next-generation x86 processors are therefore stuck with an antiquated, shared-bus interconnect topology that's bandwidth-starved, expensive, not scalable, and inferior to coherent HT in every respect.

This is bad news for those of us who're pumped about Merom/Conroe, because—as any Apple fan who uses a G4 can tell you—you can have the baddest processor on the market, but if you're starving it by sticking it on an outdated FSB then a lot of potential performance is going to waste. (Oh yes indeed my fellow Mac users; Apple is poised to have a repeat of the G4's infamous FSB bottleneck shortly after the switch to Intel. Look on the bright side, though: the situation won't be quite as dire... at first.) Furthermore, this problem gets worse rapidly as you increase the number of cores per socket.

continued here and here

End point - Intel might be able to hold it's own in gaming, but multi-core server performance will takes its toll.

Wow!!! Intel seems to be coming back with a HUGGE BANG. Well, they had to... I mean, a company like Intel does not become so big just by luck.

finally Intel doing something real neat ..outperforming an overclocked amd monster and that too by a good margin .. amd better gear up else bye bye. hope amd drops prices though in the near future.

Hmm....

Intel setup two identical systems: in one corner, an Athlon 64 FX-60 overclocked to 2.8GHz running on a DFI RD480 motherboard. And in the other corner, a Conroe running at 2.66GHz (1067MHz FSB) on an Intel 975X motherboard.

The AMD system used 1GB of DDR400 running at 2-2-2/1T timings, while the Intel system used 1GB of DDR2-667 running at 4-4-4. Both systems had a pair of Radeon X1900 XTs running in CrossFire and as far as we could tell, the drivers and the rest of the system setup was identical. They had a handful of benchmarks preloaded that we ran ourselves, the results of those benchmarks are on the following pages. Tomorrow we'll be able to go into great depth on the architecture of Conroe, but for now enjoy the benchmarks.

You guys do remember that RD480 in not the best mobo to run crossfire tests..... IMHO.

Yes Kido you may be right about that. But then how do you explain about 12-15% increase in other benchies??? Even with lower Clocks and DDR2 @ 4-4-4, beating AMD in many tests it is a good feat by Intel.

they might test these processors again when ati launches rd580 for intel also .. it will be a damn good testbed then. amd on ati rd580 vs intel on rd580 crossfire .. wow.

Back