CPU/Mobo Intel Conroe News Thread

We can only with till AMD goes AM2 and see whats gonna happen.

I do feel that the DDR2 is helping the Conroe a bit, a "Bit".

I do feel Intel have got it right though.

AMD AM2, isnt gonna do wonders for AMD, unless they change the Achitecture.

Hmm, a huge leap by Intel, looks good and I hope that'll only improve AMD's performance.

As for the testing, yep the Conroe's were probably tested with DDR2, so once AM2 is out, the benchmarks will speak !

Harshal said:
Yes Kido you may be right about that. But then how do you explain about 12-15% increase in other benchies??? Even with lower Clocks and DDR2 @ 4-4-4, beating AMD in many tests it is a good feat by Intel.

Imho, they just upped the multi by 1 and achieved the 2800 Mhz speed. They kept the RAM at a lowly 200 Mhz compared to 333 of the DDR2 (albeit the diff in timings)

I am not saying that Cornoe isnt an improvement..... but comparing between the 2 is like taking a 7800GT to stand against a X800XTPE. Ofcoz there will be a diff, its a diff generation.

Now lets wait for AMD to make things happen in its architechture.

Harshal said:
Yes Kido you may be right about that. But then how do you explain about 12-15% increase in other benchies??? Even with lower Clocks and DDR2 @ 4-4-4, beating AMD in many tests it is a good feat by Intel.

Imho, they just upped the multi by 1 and achieved the 2800 Mhz speed. They kept the RAM at a lowly 200 Mhz compared to 333 of the DDR2 (albeit the diff in timings)

I am not saying that Cornoe isnt an improvement..... but comparing between the 2 is like taking a 7800GT to stand against a X800XTPE. Ofcoz there will be a diff, its a diff generation.

Yea i totally agree there, its two different generations. This is an Intel 65 nm product vs AMD 90 nm. Wait till AMD goes 65 nm on DDR-2. Then we can say what the true situation is.

^^Engineering process will only help scalability of clockspeeds because of the lower heat dissipation, nothing else.It's the onboard DDR2 memory controller that's going to increase performance the most.

tracerbullet said:
^^Engineering process will only help scalability of clockspeeds because of the lower heat dissipation, nothing else.It's the onboard DDR2 memory controller that's going to increase performance the most.

Higher clockspeeds = higher performance obviously. Thats why we need to wait till AMD goes to 65 nm. And according to all the news, the onboard DDR-2 memory controller does not increase performace by more than 5 %.

^ Higher clockspeeds are not solely gonna help any1.

AMD will stick with the ~2.4 Ghz Clocks. And Intel are now gonna stick with the ~3 Ghz Clock.

Lowering the Manufactuing process will not give any1 higher speeds. Just better yields, so that those speeds are easily reached.

DDR-2 will not do wonders for AMD AM2. As you all agree, that no game/application uses as much bandwidth as DDR2 has to offer. We have to wait for games Like UT2007, to see.

goldenfrag said:
Lowering the Manufactuing process will not give any1 higher speeds. Just better yields, so that those speeds are easily reached.

You get a 'good yield' when majority of the chips that come out of a silicon wafer are completely functional, and can clock at the desired speeds. The defective ones are either clocked lower, reduced in cache or completely scrapped. So a lower fabrication directly implies higher speeds :p

kidoman said:

@ Kido, Please tell me more how they did 2.8GHz on that FX man, I am all ears and very much excited.

I dont get it. Sometime you guys have to say DDR2 is bad with loose timing. Now you say DDR2-667 @4-4-4-12/15 is performing better then 2-2-2/1T DDR400??? Even with the on Die Mem Controller on FX-60??

Now I am not a Intel Fan or anything close to that. But Good times are here for consumers for Sure.

But don't forget this is a CPU that will only be available in six months. To do such a thing, paper launch for six months in advance, Intel must be real worried over the market share they are losing now, and are, in fact, damaging their own sales for six months.

In six months AMD will probably have 65nm CPUs in AM2 sockets. I've read somewhere that AM2 and the F stepping will give by a 20% performance improvement; the die shrink should be able to do the rest.

You've got to remember that google recently bought AMD servers, for the first time. Don't you think they would be shown the same thing?

and all the beachies are produced by intel ..... only the FEAR was done by anandtech .....

anyways this processor can be the cherry picked 45nm part lol who knows :lol:

Darklord and Apollyon, something on your mind guys???

@ Rahul... you went in Future too deep man with 45nm Cherry picked Chip, Please come back.

EDIT: Rahul, Its not a paper launch, its a "Architecture Introduction" at Intel Developer Forum. There is a big difference there. Anyways Launch should be before 6 Months, say 4 - 5 months.

Rahul said:
But don't forget this is a CPU that will only be available in six months. To do such a thing, paper launch for six months in advance, Intel must be real worried over the market share they are losing now, and are, in fact, damaging their own sales for six months.

In six months AMD will probably have 65nm CPUs in AM2 sockets. I've read somewhere that AM2 and the F stepping will give by a 20% performance improvement; the die shrink should be able to do the rest.

You've got to remember that google recently bought AMD servers, for the first time. Don't you think they would be shown the same thing?

and all the beachies are produced by intel ..... only the FEAR was done by anandtech .....

anyways this processor can be the cherry picked 45nm part lol who knows :lol:

They arent damaging their own sales, rather AMD's,and in AMD's major market, Gamers. If someone was looking to buy a gaming system now hed look at those benchmarks and say lets wait for Conroe. AMD is not gonna have 65nm products until Q4 of this year. And AM2 with F stepping is not projected to give more than 5-10% more performance. What does google having bought AMD servers have to do with this??? The benchies are not "produced" by intel, the demos of the benchies are, and how much can u optimise a benchie for a particular processor? Cherry picked 45 nm?? The only 45 nm thing Intel has produced is some SRAM. Processors are not gonna be on 45 nm until H2 2007.

Harshal said:
Darklord and Apollyon, something on your mind guys???

@ Rahul... you went in Future too deep man with 45nm Cherry picked Chip, Please come back.

i was just guessing one possibility ......

hunt3r said:
They arent damaging their own sales, rather AMD's,and in AMD's major market, Gamers. If someone was looking to buy a gaming system now hed look at those benchmarks and say lets wait for Conroe. AMD is not gonna have 65nm products until Q4 of this year. And AM2 with F stepping is not projected to give more than 5-10% more performance. What does google having bought AMD servers have to do with this??? The benchies are not "produced" by intel, the demos of the benchies are, and how much can u optimise a benchie for a particular processor? Cherry picked 45 nm?? The only 45 nm thing Intel has produced is some SRAM. Processors are not gonna be on 45 nm until H2 2007.

dude by showing the performance of conroe and paper launch they are damaging only there own sale .... can u compare any other Intel processor with conroe ... nooo .... so anyone thinking about purchasing a computer will think about any thing that closer to that ..... anyways i don't think serious consumer can wait 6 months .....

AMD CEO: Consumer CPU capacity could be traded to fuel commercial growth

Scott M. Fulton, III 6 Mar 2006 23:15

Dena Point (CA) - During a meeting of financial and technology analysts, AMD chairman and CEO Hector Ruiz told an audience he would be willing to pare down his company's consumer market segments, including high-performance desktop PCs, in order to devote more energy to growing the company's lucrative, high-quantity commercial processor market.

AMD plans to spend the next three to five years carving out a name for itself among this lucrative market, Ruiz said. If that means taking the company's focus off of the consumer space for awhile, that's fine. "We don't feel we need to make huge strides in the consumer [space] in the near future," Ruiz told the audience. "In terms of retail around the world, for example, we have 40-50% of the market. Our desire, frankly, is to just hang on to that while we make much more significant impact on the commercial side."

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/06/amd_ceo_capacity_could_be_traded/

Less focus on desktop because they know they are going to get beaten badly by Conroe...? :)

^^ Lol.

Any news about Architectural Changes with AM2 or beyond? If not, AMD are in serious trouble.

Im not taking sides here, not am i a Anything Fanboy, just saying it as it is.

Back