CPU/Mobo Intel Conroe News Thread

Rahul said:
dude by showing the performance of conroe and paper launch they are damaging only there own sale .... can u compare any other Intel processor with conroe ... nooo .... so anyone thinking about purchasing a computer will think about any thing that closer to that ..... anyways i don't think serious consumer can wait 6 months .....

Rahul, what they may be losing now, they will more than make up in the coming months with the Conroe..so that is the strategy..they are not gonna lose much with a drop in Prescott/presler sales..as it is an outgoing technology...the next year or more is surely 65nm's arena..so they are going to get loads of prospective buyers from the enthusiasts/gamers community...

And, about a serious consumer to wait for 6 months, i'll say that only serious consumers will think reasonably and wait for the goodies...;)

And there isnt going to be much improvements(more than 5-10%) with the AM2 f stepping..

Battle lines have finally been drawn..:) LONG LIVE THE CONSUMERS..:bleh:

can someone explain why an intel chip bottlenecked by FSB can beat so handsomely a dual core AMD with on die memory controller?

And well all this will hopefully mean that we'll see price cuts all around :eek:hyeah: One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the chipset cost for conroe. 975X mobos dont come cheap, and neither does 667 Mhz DDR-2. In that respect, $150 A64 + $100 mobo + $60 DDR 400(1 GB) sounds better than $200 mobo + $100+ DDR-2 + cost of conroe chip(even if it is $150 or lower). what do u say?

^^brother, AMD can no longer boast of lower prices..check out their dual core x2s and optys..they cost the same or more than the intel processors of the similar rating..;)
Also a $150 A64 + $100 mobo + $60 DDR 400(1 GB) will not live upto the CONROE in performance..:eek:hyeah: So you have to weigh the pros and cons properly..:)
As for the DDR2 prices, once it becomes mainstream, the prices will come down to DDR prices..

Well, Rumours are rife that AMD will pump up the L3 cache on their processors soon, which should provide it some boost, and AM2 seems good enough, overall I think AMD will be slightly behind in the beginning, but will catch up soon.

@ guru, thats what Next-Gen micro architecture all about. Making better things with available resources. Read the Coverage from various Sites in the News Section to know more.

Darth_Infernus said:
Well, Rumours are rife that AMD will pump up the L3 cache on their processors soon, which should provide it some boost, and AM2 seems good enough, overall I think AMD will be slightly behind in the beginning, but will catch up soon.

That L3 cache is gonna be only for the Opterons, more specifically for use in dual or quad processor or more systems. Supposedly it helps in inter processor communication or something like that. For AM2 afiak they arent gonna introduce L3 cache anytime soon.

Till i didn't know PCs and TE- i was fine though people called me Dumb and a Motorhead!!

But after my recent overspending spree on stuff, i was having second thoughts!!:p

Now this seems like the final nail in the coffin!!:mad:

BACK TO BIKES!! (we upgrade that but not so damn soon and even if our asses get kicked after spending every last penny, NOT BY 30-40%:mad: !!):rofl:

Great finds Rahul!!

Either they have 'Rigged' that AMD rig or those 'Idiots Inside' at Intel can't handle AMD(j/k)!!

But that WC thingie is super if it retails at less than 50$!!
Then every Tom, Dick and Harry will be on WC!! LOL...
Now if i could just cannibalise it to fit AMD- MuHuHAHAHAHA...
Darky and Deejay are all attention, he he he...

Conroe performance will only get better since Intel has another 6 months until launch... AM2 will not be able to compete with it since it's based on 90nm while Conroe is 65nm. We'll have to see what AMD delivers with it's 65nm lineup.

Well i dont understand how shifting to 65nm technology translates to superior performance ??
Care to explain how ?

By that logic,Intel's 90nm chips [Prescott] should have beaten the A64 130nm [ClawHammer/Sledgehammer/Newcastle] much more convincingly,we all know that this didnt happen,did it ?

RiO said:
Conroe performance will only get better since Intel has another 6 months until launch... AM2 will not be able to compete with it since it's based on 90nm while Conroe is 65nm. We'll have to see what AMD delivers with it's 65nm lineup.

Architecture, not die size makes a CPU competitive.. all that 65nm means is that the distance between individual components on the CPU die is now 65nm. That's it.. allowing Intel to stuff more transistors onto the die. But if that's coupled with a 31 stage pipeline e.g. the P4 line, how is that going to help in, say, branch prediction errors?

Intel's new Conroe looks to give AMD a punch to the gut -- or maybe not

Benchmarks posted yesterday of Intel's unreleased Conroe processor have sparked quite a firestorm in forums around the web. Users from both the AMD and Intel camp were quick to examine the numbers provided in the articles, but the end result was still the same -- Intel has a slam dunk with Conroe.

As is the case with benchmarks held outside of a controlled environment and conducted with equipment provided by a party that has something to gain from favorable performance numbers, suspicions have arisen over the benchmark results.

VoodooPC president and occasional DailyTech writer Rahul Sood adds, “The long and the short of it is Intel has crafted an excellent marketing strategy to show off their baby in its first trimester. They are trying to win the hearts and minds of enthusiasts half a year before they have anything to show us. They created these platforms in house, and we can only hope they unknowingly crutched the AMD system by using a chipset and motherboard - with an outdated bios - that no enthusiast supports.â€

While the test systems and circumstances surrounding these benchmarks of an unreleased Intel processor and an overclocked AMD processor are far from ideal, this question must be asked -- how often do you get the opportunity to test a fully functional, unreleased product six months in advance?

Rahul Sood has some serious problem with ATI (Not so Good relations may be) man :D I love the way he never misses to kick it. Well, the best thing one can do is wait which we all were going to anyways for say AM2 or Conroe.

TechHead said:
Architecture, not die size makes a CPU competitive.. all that 65nm means is that the distance between individual components on the CPU die is now 65nm. That's it.. allowing Intel to stuff more transistors onto the die. But if that's coupled with a 31 stage pipeline e.g. the P4 line, how is that going to help in, say, branch prediction errors?

I can't stomach all this jargon, so let's stick to our guns... you with AMD, and I, Intel ;)

kindly refer to what i had mentioned casually two months back ....
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/339169-post7.html

i just hope AMD maintains this momemtum and advantage that it currently enjoys and completely displaces intel from the desktop market.

Intel will continue to enjoy market leadership in the notebook sector due to its superior technology in miniaturising and lowering of power requirements etc ....

Back