CPU/Mobo Intel finds Bug in Sandy Bridge 6-Series chipsets, halts shipments

^Although on paper MS would have put it that way, within a span of 3 years, if anything goes wrong MS would accept the console for a replacement. Heck, the courier guy lands at the doorstep with the replacement and the only thing he looks for is the intactness of the warranty sticker in the console.

I think some of them in the forums happened to replace the Arcade Falcons this way and some of them got a Jasper as the replacement.

thebanik said:
I have been talking to Gigabyte over the recent announcement from Intel and here is their official statement.

GIGABYTE Technology India’s statement on the 6 Series chipset SATA port bug:

“GIGABYTE has always aimed to ‘Upgrade Your Life’ with the most innovative designs and impeccable quality and services. Our success can be attributed to our motherboards’ high-utility features, combined with our competitive pricing and distinguished support services, maximizing your (the customer’s) value for money. In line with this vision, we assure you of our fullest support in case you come across any GIGABYTE motherboard affected with the 6 Series SATA port bug. We assure you of a swap or replacement within the prescribed time frame of the revised motherboard availability, at your nearest GIGABYTE Service Center. As you must be aware, the chipset vendor has corrected the SATA port problem, and has already begun manufacturing an updated version of the support chip which they expect to deliver in late February 2011. Our advice to potential 6 Series motherboard buyers will be to keep their buying plans on hold till we announce the newer version of motherboards.”
Now the announcement from Asus, Seems to me because of Intels assurance, mobo makers would not have any issues in replacing the motherboards because in turn Intel is going to compensate handsomely.

Proactively responding to the Intel-identified Sandy Bridge chipset design error

Delivering a prompt recovery plan to customers, ASUS provides comprehensive return and replacement services for every product affected by this issue

Proactively responding to the Intel-identified Sandy Bridge chipset design error

Taipei, Taiwan (February 1, 2011) — Intel® on January 31, 2011 announced the detection of a design error in the new Sandy Bridge-based Intel® 6 Series support chip, also known as Cougar Point. The shipment of existing Sandy Bridge products has been suspended by Intel®, and the production of an updated support chip has commenced. The design error affects only the support chip, and not 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors such as the i5 and i7.

Acting on our philosophy and promise of inspiring innovation and persistent perfection, we've created a comprehensive response to this development to safeguard the best interest of ASUS customers around the world. We will provide total warranty services to maximize computing and usability, as each ASUS product is delivered with an uncompromising quality pledge. This includes the hassle-free return and/or replacement of all affected ASUS products. We’re doing all this effective immediately – and as a first step, shipments of current ASUS Sandy Bridge-based products have been halted. The suspension covers all distribution and retail channels — ASUS only sells quality-assured products, at all times and across all product segments.

For all customers who already own any ASUS product affected by the design error identified by Intel®, simply visit Proactively responding to the Intel-identified Sandy Bridge chipset design error for detailed warranty and service hotline information. We’ll be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have regarding this issue, as well as provide information on future updates to Sandy Bridge technology.

ASUS notebook and desktop products are covered by a warranty service that addresses the design error, with both swap and sales return offered as options to customers.

For motherboards, we’ve confirmed with Intel® that the Cougar Point design error does not affect SATA ports 0 and 1. Additionally, ASUS has been a pioneer in including extra SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s ports beyond Intel® specifications on a wide range of motherboards. These ports are not affected by this design error, offering customers an option for uninterrupted computing. However, we’re also offering you the option of returning any possibly affected motherboard for a swap or sales return. All warranties for affected motherboards will be reset to give you enough time to carry out any exchanges.

ASUS has also started an initiative to contact customers regarding this issue, and we’ll cover all channel partners, distributors and registered buyers of affected ASUS products. As mentioned above, you may opt to return any affected products to ASUS for a swap or sales return.

We’ll post updates through our official website and other channels regarding any developments or fixes to Sandy Bridge products. Thank you for your understanding, support and cooperation, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

ASUS

Thanks for the update.

I really dont mind getting a mobo now and replacing it with a newer as and when they are out, and till then only use the SATA 0, 1.

Or is simply better t wait it out?

Infected said:
Thanks for the update.

I really dont mind getting a mobo now and replacing it with a newer as and when they are out, and till then only use the SATA 0, 1.

Or is simply better t wait it out?
I may not be the right person to answer that query, :p since all I am interested is the overclocking performance of the platform. If you are someone who would be happy with 4.6-4.8Ghz overclock, I would say go ahead and buy it. Next platform from Intel is of highend, and will not effect SB's prices at all(ofcourse regular depreciation of prices always happen in Computers). From initial leaks of Bulldozer I dont think it will be able to match Intel's air overclocking as well as clock to clock performance. Price again thats something for which no point in speculating.

Coming back to overclocking, to go above 4.6-4.8Ghz you need a setting called CPU Pll Override(this is there in all Mobo's), this is something Gigabyte has not added in any of the public bios which has led people to speculate that there might be some sort of mobo/chip degradation. So a confusing time to say the least......

So the best solution would be to buy the Processor if and when the prices fall and get the motherboard once the revised version becomes available..?

yashchitale said:
So the best solution would be to buy the Processor if and when the prices fall and get the motherboard once the revised version becomes available..?
If you will wait for the motherboard, why not wait for the CPU as well???

Otherwise, go for the platform now, if and when you see degradation, change the motherboard. Remember it doesnt degrade your hard drive, so that is not the issue. Just the port would stop detecting storage drives.

^^ Point is since the production has halted and existing boards will be recalled, there is no point getting a CPU since you cannot pair it with a mobo ( unless of course, you go ahead and buy currently stocked ones). Hence the CPU might go overstock pushing the price down... It would make sense to get the CPU alone now, "if" the prices go down, and pair it with a fixed mobo later..

But Alas, I dont think that CPU price is going to go down. Infact Newegg and Tigerdirect have pulled the CPUs of the stores as well....

IMHO...best solution wait it out if you can,....really unless ofcourse one is bored and likes switching motherboards etc etc,..

^You can buy a board if it still retails although I doubt if the retailers are willing to sell them since they may be aware of the situation now. If you do, use the SATA 6Gbps ports with the drives. Come April, replace the board.

i.e if you cannot wait until then. I've decided to part with my present PC's core components and wait until then. :)

...well I believe one more month max, until then get everything else ready if needed...I dont know what I am gonna do though I should wait..... I am still looking for the ASUS Deluxe motherboard...

Well, The problem has been identified and fixed... once the recall is complete, intel shares will be back up again..

If anyone wants to get an intel share, this is the right time :D:D
and get the proccies too, if they are cheap... :D

Back