CPU/Mobo Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion Thread

Well, just spoke to Ingram Micro, and there is no stock of any of the K processors and only 3550 is available. They say stoxk is expected only next week end or the week after that, they DONT KNOW...

Anyway, found one seller on SP road who insists on selling it with an Intel board bundle, which i dont need. Only CPU price is being quoted at 15.2-15.5k for the 3570k. Sad but true...guys from other cities can chip in with news as well.

cant find any chips here at all. even prime doesnt have them.
i have decided to get a second hand 2600k instead. i guess thats a better buy looking at the current situation

By the way, can anyone confirm, the "K" series CPUs do NOT have virtualization (VT-d etc) instructions, meaning they are not as good for running VMs?

By the way, can anyone confirm, the "K" series CPUs do NOT have virtualization (VT-d etc) instructions, meaning they are not as good for running VMs?

The "K" series CPUs doesn't support "VT-d" . But it does not mean that they are not good for running multiple VMs. The "K" Series IVY Bridge CPUs support the "VT-x" feature, this would suffice for running all kind of Hypervisors(Xen, VM Ware, Hyper-V, etc) on a host OS. The "VT-d" comes into picture only when you need to map a I/O device directly to the VM(by passing the host OS), this would reduce the latency in the bandwidth between the VM & the I/O Device. If you are going to run a couple of VMs in your home for testing/simulation/whatsoever, the VT-d feature is irrelevant. The VT-d feature will factor in a Enterprise Server, where the Direct I/O mapping can play a major role. Rest assured that, if you are into gaming & overclocking and experimenting/learning/tweaking with VMs, you can go for the "K" Series - Eyes Closed.

As a seller I can confirm that no one as of now would have stocks as they haven't arrived in India yet. They were supposed to but then you know how everything gets "delayed"

Back