CPU/Mobo Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion Thread

Intel 7-Series Z77 Extreme Motherboards Revealed

Source : http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-7-Series-Z77-Extreme-Motherboards-Revealed-255055.shtml

Intel has unleashed quite a few motherboards over the past week, like the Media Series and the Executive 7-Series, all part of the 7-Series, and now we get to look at the high-end models too.

According to VR-Zone, there are two high-end 7-Series motherboards on the way, powered by the Z77 chipset.

Like them, we aren't exactly sure why it has taken to launching so many motherboards, knowing that the consumer base will more than likely gravitate towards companies that specialize in such products and have proven their brands' worth over and over (ASRock, ASUS, MSI, etc.).

Nevertheless, Intel has released the DZ77GA and DZ77RE for the high-end market.

The former has the Gasper codename and comes with two PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots, two PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots, one PCI Express 2.0 x4 slot and a pair of PCI slots.

There is also USB connectivity (four 3.0 and four 2.0 ports at the back, plus some more via headers), FireWire connectivity, eSATA and dual Gigabit Ethernet, plus 7.1-channel audio with optical S/PDIF.

Furthermore, the chip giant implemented an HDMI connector, but this begs the question of why Intel isn't enabling support for multi-display setups.

After all, the bundled LucidLogix Virtu software lets discrete graphics signals pass through the integrated GPU, allowing for more than one monitor to be managed by the mainboard directly, provided there are enough display ports to plug the panels in (which there aren't).

The second motherboard will possess Thunderbolt at least, but more or less the same other specifications as its sibling.

Keep in mind that the PCI Express x4 slot may have to be disabled while Thunderbolt is in use, though.

Intel has been doing its best to extend its reach beyond the CPU market, entering not just the mainboard but also the SSD business. Neither outlet has seen as much success as its primary focus, and with the upcoming Ivy Bridge CPUs supposedly getting cheaper (by $60-70 / 45-53 Euro) this situation can only persist.

the ivy bridge is not at all worth an upgrade from sandy!! the cpu would be at max around 5% better than sandy. most likely less. the igp has just reached llano level while the chip is still a good 3 months away.. and further when a guy is capable of buying a 350 dollar cpu, wouldnt he buy a discrete gpu?? so when in totality the cpu is hardly faster than current sandy, why would anybody consider an upgrade to ivy??

the ivy bridge is not at all worth an upgrade from sandy!! the cpu would be at max around 5% better than sandy. most likely less. the igp has just reached llano level while the chip is still a good 3 months away.. and further when a guy is capable of buying a 350 dollar cpu, wouldnt he buy a discrete gpu?? so when in totality the cpu is hardly faster than current sandy, why would anybody consider an upgrade to ivy??

For the following reasons:

Lower TDP so better for overclocking.

Better IGP compared to SNB. Do not bring Llano into this. My own friend has a i7 2600K and is running on the IGP because he will splurge on a Quadro later on.

Slightly faster than SNB.

QS 2.0 and some more features.

Sure, from Sandy to Ivy doesn't make lot of sense unless you really have money to splurge. But from 1st gen Core processors to Ivy, is a big leap. I'm still holding on my Q6600 and decided to skip Sandy once stuff about Ivy started floating around the net. It's that exciting to make it worth the wait.

Even from Sandy to Ivy is a big leap if you overclock. And overclocked Ivy will beat an overclocked Sandy by 20-30%+ on an average even real in world benchmarks, and some stuff a lot more. That is as much difference as you get from going from a 6970 to 7950 at stock.

For the following reasons:

1.Lower TDP so better for overclocking.

2.Better IGP compared to SNB. Do not bring Llano into this. My own friend has a i7 2600K and is running on the IGP because he will splurge on a Quadro later on.

3.Slightly faster than SNB.

4.QS 2.0 and some more features.

TDP is good i agree, but oc'ing is more related to its higher multiplier than its TDP.. Even though the TDP of BD is 125w it achieved a world record right and reached 5ghz on many comps inspite of higher TDP.. secondly, the max multiplier for sandy is 59.. but majority even struggle to reach 5ghz... ask #thebanik and he will tell you.. majority reach only 49x stably(not my words but oc.net's). so even though 70x may be the max multiplier, 5 - 5.5ghz(51-55x) will be the max on air and 5.7ghz(57x) on water no matter what..

IGP is useless and can only act as backup.. ask your friend
<
Even he is investing in a quadro right.. So apart from mobile computing the IGP is more or less useless.. moreover who would upgrade from sandy for an IGP??

Intel quicksync has absolutely no support for major programs used by developers or for that matter general public.. The entire adobe suite, TmpGenc, Xillisoft, etc., have no support for it.. So its usefullness is limited to a very few programs numbering about 10 in all!!

Slightly faster it is.. more expensive it is also
<
once again 3-5% faster does not warrant an upgrade

Even from Sandy to Ivy is a big leap if you overclock. And overclocked Ivy will beat an overclocked Sandy by 20-30%+ on an average even real in world benchmarks, and some stuff a lot more. That is as much difference as you get from going from a 6970 to 7950 at stock.

There is no proof absolutely to the above statement.. all mere speculation and rumours.. where will you get 20-30 percent more performance when overall the improvement is single digits??

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com...locked-to-7-GHz-Core-i7-3770K-Jumps-100-2.jpg

It was just a few days ago that we wrote about the Intel Core i7-3820 getting overclocked to 5.666 GHz and, now, we are looking at something farther off and much more powerful.

The news of an Intel Ivy Bridge central processing unit being overclocked 100% is a bittersweet pill to swallow at the moment.

After all, with the CPU launch delay to June confirmed, hearing about how great the chips can be will only make the wait harder.

Long story short, the 3.5 GHz Core i7-3770K was pushed all the way up to 7.063 GHz, reports say.

That is 100% overclocking and, since the nature of the cooling system was not disclosed, it is possible that Ivy Bridge can go even higher.

The current overclocking record is 8.58GHz, achieved by the AMD FX-8150. AMD gets to brag about that much at least, since its FX series hasn't proven to be very competitive in most other situations.

Intel Ivy Bridge CPU Overclocked to 7 GHz, Core i7-3770K Jumps 100%

It is common sense. Never has Intel failed to deliver this much additional performance in the recent past.

You will see when it comes.

Intel does it again. HD4000 is only included with all i7 models and one i5 model. They should know better
<

8a.jpg
8b.jpg

They should have included the low end i5's with the HD4000 IGP, the overclocked ones have zero to negligible use for an IGP.

heyy guys check this out .... the overclockers managed to get the new ivy bridge 3770...all the way up to 7ghz.... plus there are 8 version of windows 8....and new ipad 3 will be coming this week with a powerful quad core proccy and a retina display of a very high resolution...check this video out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ZvOaZU6c8

Ooh, what we have here?

The Ivy Bridge Preview: Core i7 3770K Tested said:
Based on these early numbers, Ivy Bridge is pretty much right where we expected it on the CPU side. You're looking at a 5 - 15% increase in CPU performance over Sandy Bridge at a similar price point. I have to say that I'm pretty impressed by the gains we've seen here today. It's quite difficult to get tangible IPC improvements from a modern architecture these days, particularly on such a strict nearly-annual basis. For a tick in Intel's cadence, Ivy Bridge is quite good. It feels a lot like Penryn did after Conroe, but better

http://www.anandtech...w-core-i7-3770k

... and then some more...

ASUS Intel Z77 Motherboard Preview: P8Z77 said:
Recently Legit Reviews was invited down to Texas for a technical briefing on the next generation Intel 7 series chipset with ASUS. While we can't share the information, we can take a peak at some of the new LGA1155 motherboards we saw there. Since we can't go into details on too much, we will copy/paste what was told in this mornings press release and then skip to the pictures that we took during the seminar.

http://www.legitrevi...article/1872/1/

Seems the wait wont be for too long
<

Definitive Retail Launch Date for Ivy Bridge Core Processors Surfaces[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

While we're fairly certain about the launch-schedule of Intel's "Ivy Bridge" Core processor family and 7-series chipset from an older article, which pin-points at April 29 to be the day full-fledged reviews (including overclocking performance, and benchmarks that cover new features) can be published, there's still a looming doubt over that day being the one on which you could buy say, a Core i7-3770K off Newegg.com. A latest slide, probably sourced from Intel's Retailedge, lays that doubt to rest. April 29 is indeed the day you will be able to buy most significant "Ivy Bridge" Core i7 and Core i5 models. Certain other models are slated for June 3. Dual-core Core i3 and Pentium processors based on Ivy Bridge silicon are slated for "Holiday". As on April 29, you also be able to buy motherboards based on 7-series chipset, which support Ivy Bridge processors out of the box.

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source: [/font]DonanimHaber

http://www.techpowerup.com/162074/Definitive-Retail-Launch-Date-for-Ivy-Bridge-Core-Processors-Surfaces.html

IB is 5-15% faster IPC compared to SB according to AT. On an average around 7-9%, but goes up to 15% IPC. With a Z77 mobo, that difference will be avg 10-12% compared to SB + P67, this is IPC.

Even if it overclocks 5-10% better, that would mean a net difference of 15-20%, just a little lower than what I had predicted.

I suppose a more significant information would be price and then availability ... any leads on India pricing and the expected reduction in SB CPU prices ?

Back