PC Peripherals Intel Quad NIC availability

Nappinggeek has recommended Xfurbish, so it can be trusted.
On another note, Is buying from such refurb sites good? I've found Xfurbish and other sites selling low cost and really old server parts...

Who is this rando nappinggeek? Based on what are they recommending the site? Do they have personal experience with buying from there?

This is what I have, they also have Realtek Nic too
https://shop.zimaboard.com/products/pcie-x4-to-4-port-2-5-gigabit-ethernet-card-intel-i225-chipset

91$ + import tax

1722359623073.png

I am presuming most people looking for multi port NICs are using 2 ISPs and not 3 or 4.
Out of curiosity - why not just get a dual port NIC which are readily available locally for cheap?

I am presuming most people looking for multi port NICs are using 2 ISPs and not 3 or 4.
Out of curiosity - why not just get a dual port NIC which are readily available locally for cheap?
You can use same machine for opnsense + other VMs without needing VLANs or bridges if you have more ports than xWAN + 1LAN

You can use same machine for opnsense + other VMs without needing VLANs or bridges if you have more ports than xWAN + 1LAN
eh, no. You dont need an extra port (or setup VLANs) for that.

All VMs are linked over a (typically) 10gbe virtual switch to the management port. i.e. The port that connects to your LAN side.
This includes your router VM (say opnsense) as well.
This is the standard (and recommended) topology for a proxmox/esxi setup or for that matter any other hypervisor . - Unless you want to do something exotic

In this standard toplogy, opnsense/pfsense etc will work as the router for all machines on your nrtwork (including other VMs on the hypervisor that opnsense is on
)
Thus if you have 2 WANs, all you need is a 2X NIC card (since your board will anyway have one for the LAN side).
And if you a single WAN, you just need a normal 1 port NIC card.

All VMs are linked over a (typically) 10gbe virtual switch to the management port. i.e. The port that connects to your LAN side.
This includes your router VM (say opnsense) as well.
Not all hosts have 10GBE default port. Most have gigabit, and sometimes even Realtek. Although I agree you don't really need, but it's nice to have.

Can you please share some links, recently purchased a x540-t2 off of ebay, and in my experience even decent gigabit dual port nics are expensive af here.
I am using reg gigabit.
My home network is gigabit and I dont see upgrading to 10gbe anytime in the near future :confused:
Unfortunately my topology is such that it would be ridiculously expensive to replace all the switches (currently 6X 8 port)

I had brought regular Pro 1000 dual card from Bharathi systems for about 2500/- and it works quite well. System IRQ usage on the hypervisor is well under 0.3% and WAN throughput hits 1000 mbps without issues.
if you Search for D33682 , you will find plenty of local options.

I also see many options here - checkout is via razorpay so should be a legit vendor

I am using reg gigabit.
My home network is gigabit and I dont see upgrading to 10gbe anytime in the near future :confused:
Unfortunately my topology is such that it would be ridiculously expensive to replace all the switches (currently 6X 8 port)

I had brought regular Pro 1000 dual card from Bharathi systems for about 2500/- and it works quite well. System IRQ usage on the hypervisor is well under 0.3% and WAN throughput hits 1000 mbps without issues.
if you Search for D33682 , you will find plenty of local options.

I also see many options here - checkout is via razorpay so should be a legit vendor
I stumbled upon Sai Retail when looking for an i225v/i226v single port nic (https://sairetail.com/product/2-5gb...-lan-controller-for-pc-support-windows-10-11/). This listing mentions an i225v chip, but does not mention the stepping (B3 stepping is the only one you should get, earlier ones had major issues at link speed > 1gbit). Found a model number, TXA109, and if you search for it, you get a bunch of listings across the world, all with similar photo/description. Figured this would be on alibaba, and managed to find one of the vendors, and asked about the stepping, and they never got back to me.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240801_144255_Alibabacom.png
    SmartSelect_20240801_144255_Alibabacom.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 12
I stumbled upon Sai Retail when looking for an i225v/i226v single port nic (https://sairetail.com/product/2-5gb...-lan-controller-for-pc-support-windows-10-11/). This listing mentions an i225v chip, but does not mention the stepping (B3 stepping is the only one you should get, earlier ones had major issues at link speed > 1gbit). Found a model number, TXA109, and if you search for it, you get a bunch of listings across the world, all with similar photo/description. Figured this would be on alibaba, and managed to find one of the vendors, and asked about the stepping, and they never got back to me.
Anything above gbe gets into niche territory and difficult to source locally.
However gbe equipment is far more readily available.
The Pro 100 82576 units on this site (as well as bharathi) are cheap and proven workhorses.

By the way genuine recommendation - Unless you have already upgraded your switches , clients and wiring , dont bother with 2.5/10 for now .
And even if you have done all of tthe above, In any case , the fastest WAN connection you can get is a gbe.

Swapping out a pci-e card when the equipment becomes more common place/net connections get faster will be a lot cheaper/easier than trying to find one today for the sake of futureproofing

Back