CPU/Mobo Intel Sandy Bridge-E Discussion Thread

Core i7 960 was for the premium segment, but 970 and 980X for enthusiast segment. In the history of computing, I doubt Intel ever priced an enthusiast CPU below $500-600 and another $300 or so for the motherboard. For if you need to buy an enthusiast setup in India, be prepared to shell at least 50-60k just for the CPU + MB.

So it basically means that 2600k will be the king for us all who don't want to splurge 2-3 times for just 10-20% extra gaming performance.

Intel X79 Chipset To Start Shipping In August

Source : http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-X79-Chipset-to-Start-Shipping-in-August-211799.shtml

Intel will start shipping its high-performance X79 Express chipset for motherboards supporting LGA-2011 and LGA-1356 processors in August, states a recent report that cites sources from Taiwanese motherboard makers.

As previous leaks have suggested, the first LGA 2011 processors will be available in the first quarter of 2012.

As many of you know, the chipset that will power the motherboards which support these processors carries the X79 designation, as Intel decided to skip right over the 6-series classification with this platform.

Just like the P67 and the P55 released before it, the X79 features a PCH (platform controller hub) design as most of the tasks that were handled by the X58 chipset previously, such as PCI Express connectivity, were integrated inside the Sandy Bridge-E CPUs.

However, the X79 packs an impressive array of features compared with its predecessors as it now supports no less than 10 SATA 6Gbps, while the PCH is linked to the CPU via a DMI 2.0 interface as well as through an additional PCI-Express 2.0 x4 link.

This can be enabled or disabled by the user in the motherboard's EFI BIOS and should bring a noticeable performance increase in systems that pack high-performance storage systems.

In addition, the X79 PCH also features an Intel Rapid Storage enterprise controller that enables RAID 0/1/5/10 support and eight of the available SATA interfaces can be configured as SAS ports by motherboard manufacturers.

The rest of the specs list includes an 8-lane PCI-Express 2.0 hub, which can be used to drive the x1 and x4 slots, as well as 14 USB 2.0 ports.

Sadly, the PCH doesn't feature native USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt support, which is an important omission considering its target market.

The first motherboard models to carry the Intel X79 PCH are expected to be announced soon after the chipset starts shipping. However, availability will be limited to 2012, although some server models could see the light of day in Q4 2011, provided that Intel sticks with its plans to release Sandy Bridge-E Xeon CPUs by the end of this year. (via DigiTimes)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sandy Bridge-E Model Numbers, Clock Speeds Surface

Source : Sandy Bridge-E Model Numbers, Clock Speeds Surface | techPowerUp

Here are details of the first three models of Intel's "Sandy Bridge-E" Core i7 processors in the LGA2011 package. Some of these details were made public as early as mid-April. It was then analyzed that Intel was driving two distinct lines of LGA2011 client processors: Enthusiast and Performance, and within Performance, there were BClk multiplier-unlocked six-core, and locked quad-core chips. With the new series, Intel will move to the 3000 series of processor model numbering, indicating that the new processors will be part of Intel's 3rd generation Core processors, even though they're based on the Sandy Bridge architecture.

Before we move to the model numbers, here's a quick run up of the brand extenders. "X" denotes Extreme Edition, "K" denotes "Unlocked" (BClk multipler unlocked). Leading the pack will be Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition. This six-core (6 cores, 12 threads with HTT) chip has a nominal clock speed of 3.30 GHz, Turbo Boost speed of up to 3.90 GHz, and features the full 15 MB of L3 cache present on the Sandy Bridge-E silicon. Expect this chip to have a four figure price-tag.

Next up, is the Core i7-3930K, with 6 cores, 12 threads, a nominal clock speed of 3.20 GHz, and Turbo Boost speed of 3.80 GHz; but 12 MB of L3 cache compared to 15 MB on the Extreme Edition chip. This chip features an unlocked BClk multiplier, making overclocking it possible.

The most affordable LGA2011 chip will be Core i7-3820, with 4 cores, 8 threads, nominal clock speed of 3.60 GHz, Turbo speed of 3.90 GHz, and just 10 MB of L3 cache. Unlike the other two, this one has its BClk multiplier locked. All three models feature quad-channel DDR3 memory controllers, but it is likely that the lower-end models could also have lower DRAM multiplier limits. All three chips will have other features in common, including a PCI-Express 3.0 root complex that gives out two x16 links to drive graphics.

Those graphs are good .... intel is steadily making improvements but nothing close to 47% improvement :p

Not meant for gamers at all really..... top end enthusiasts it will cater to (because it can its so beastly and enthusiasts want fastest regardless of actual usefulness in games) .

2600K is an absolute gamers dream anyways its going to be a while before you need anything more than one of those chips north of 4ghz. Heck its going to be a while before anything is going to need more than my almost 2 year old 920 setup. Besides if any game came out that would be close to even making any of these chips sweat I dont think anyone with a AMD setup would be able to play that game :p

Sandy Bridge-E comes in Q4 2011 after all

Source : http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/23672-sandy-bridge-e-comes-in-q4-2011-after-all

35d6ypi.jpg

Three models paired up with Patsburg-A/B chipset

There has been a great deal of rumours lately regarding of the possible Intel Sandy Bridge-E launch and although some of them were pretty solid regarding the info that Sandy Bridge-E will wait for the next year, Donanimhaber.com managed to score couple of Intel slides that show that we'll see three LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E models in Q4 2011.

According to the latest leaked slide, Intel will launch three models based on socket LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E including six-core Core i7-3960X and Core i7-3930K as well as the quad-core Core i7-3820. All three models are placed in Q4 2011 column. According to some rumours, the first wave of motherboards will be based on Patsburg-A/B chipsets that have less SATA 6Gbps ports compared to Patsburg-D chipset, but hopefully we won't wait too long for the top chipset as well.

According to another set of slides, the upcoming Core i7-3960X will be a bit faster than the Intel current high-end Core i7-990X EE CPU in at least some benchmarks including the Cinebench 11.5, POV-Ray 3.7, 3DMark 11, ProShow Gold 4.5, SPEC CPU2006 and Sandra 2011B. These results doesn't come as a surprise considering that the Core i7-3960X EE has an increased memory bandwidth, a bit more cache (15MB compared to 12MB on the Core i7-990X) and features Intel AVX.

Gigabyte Prepares LGA 2011 Motherboard with 8 DIMM Slots

Source : Gigabyte Prepares LGA 2011 Motherboard with 8 DIMM Slots - Softpedia

Even though there is still quite some time left until Intel officially releases the X79 chipset for Sandy Bridge-E processors, a new picture of an upcoming Gigabyte LGA 2011 motherboard featuring eight DIMM sockets has recently hit the Web.

This is most certainly not going to be Gigabyte's most advanced board based on the X79 chipset, but it gives us a pretty good idea on what we can expect from future LGA 2011 workstation motherboards.

The first thing that one notices when taking a look at the GA-6PXSV is the fact that the board comes equipped with no less than eight DIMM memory sockets, which enable up to 64GB of system memory to be installed in a quad-channel configuration.

Right to the left of these, Gigabyte has placed the board's expansion slots, which include a pair of PCI Express x16 slots, one PCIe x8 slot, one PCI Express x4 slot as well as a legacy 32-bit PCI slot. Both the x8 and x4 PCIe slots are open ended.

Storage is provided by no less than six 6Gbps SATA ports, driven by the X79 PCH, and the GA-6PXSV also features two SAS 6Gbps ports placed right near the board's left margin.

Other features include USB 3.0 connectivity, support for the enterprise version of Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (IRST), and a six-phase CPU PWM with DrMOS MOSFET transistors.

On the back of the GA-6PXSV, outside of the regular connectors, users will also find a pair of KVM network ports.

Intel's Sandy Bridge-E processors are expected to debut in the forth quarter of 2011 and the initial CPU batch will include three chips, two featuring a six-core design and a quad-core model. The Gigabyte GA-6PXSV is also expected to debut in Q4 2011. (via XtremeSystems)

"Sandy Bridge-E to ship without cooler"

Exclusive: Sandy Bridge-E to ship without cooler by VR-Zone.com

... The upcoming Core i7 processor from Intel, the 3820, 3930K and the 3960X will all ship without a cooler in the box ... On top of this, we're hearing that although the rated TDP is 130W these beasts are consuming closer to 180W and that's without even overclocking them. In fact, according to PSU design guidance we've seen, Intel is telling power supply makers to make sure their Sandy Bridge-E PSUs can cope with a peak current of 23A on the 12V2 rail and based on an 80 percent or better efficiency rating of the PSU ...

Sandy Bridge-E gets priced, Extreme Edition model goes for $ 999

Source : Sandy Bridge-E blir prissatt, Extreme Edition-modellen går för $999

5494s4.jpg

VR-Zone said:
When it comes to pricing, Intel is a very predictable company and although we're not quite sure why the company is sticking to the exact same prices over and over again, it's just how it is. One of our very reliable sources have come through with the pricing for Intel's upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processor and although there were whispers of a price point over US$1,000, well, let's just say that there aren't any big surprises in store.

In fact, Intel has stuck with its regular tiered pricing, so in other words, the Core i7-3960X will be priced at US$999, just as pretty much every other Extreme Edition desktop CPU since back in the Pentium 4 days. That said, as you're not getting a CPU cooler thrown in this time around, you're actually paying a bit more than you do for the current Core i7-990X, at least if you use the stock cooler.

The Core i7-3930K will end up replacing the Core i7-980 and it'll also end up with the same price, US$583. Finally the Core i7-3820 should be replacing the lower-end Core i7's and as such we're looking at US$294 price point. As such the Core i7-3820 will be cheaper than the Core i7-2600K, the question is how it will perform in comparison to Intel's top of the line LGA-1155 CPU.

On a related note, if you look at recent Intel roadmap leaks, you'll notice a little symbol that looks like this ≥ and it's suggesting that Intel is about to replace, or at least add a faster Core i7 K-SKU sometime this quarter which happens to corroborate some whispers we've been hearing. As to why Intel would be doing this is anyone's guess, but it's possible that the new model will have additional multipliers unlocked compared to the Core i7-2600K. We'll just have to wait and see how things develop, but right not it's not looking good for Intel's Core i7-3820, unless it can really outperform the LGA-1155 by some margin.

Intel Sandy Bridge-E CPUs Can Overclock Up to 9.5GHz in Theory

Source : news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Sandy-Bridge-E-CPUs-Can-Overclock-Up-to-9-5GHz-in-Theory-224534.shtml

Seems like Intel is not doing proper QC. First the B3 issue and now this:

Sandy Bridge-E VT-d Broken In C1 Stepping, Fixed In C2 Stepping, Shortly After Launch

PC enthusiast customers and companies running corporate datacentres looking to buy into the new Sandy Bridge-E platform may want to wait a little while before handing over their hard-earned money to Intel. The initial batch of C1 revision Sandy Bridge-E processors have a bug – “errata” in Intel terminology – in them with VT-d, which means that hardware accelerated virtualization doesn’t work properly with them (software only mode is unaffected). The feature when working properly, allows all hardware acceleration to work on the hosted operating system (virtual machine). This would allow things such as hard drive controllers to work, plus applications such as high-powered 3D games, typically First Person Shooters, to run at nearly full speed and the full Windows Aero desktop to be displayed on the hosted OS, as the hardware features of the graphics card can be used. Therefore, working VT-d is a critical feature for these kinds of applications.

Production of the C1 stepping should have already started, or is about to start. However, the C2 stepping isn’t expected until next year, as the qualification process isn’t expected to be complete until the end of this year.

Intel will only certify the Waimea Bay platform for PCI Express 2.0 at launch, since there aren’t enough third party cards to test with. Some PCI Express 3.0 devices are still likely to work, but Intel doesn’t guarantee compatibility. This doesn’t bode well for the current 6-series motherboard with gen 3 switches actually working properly once cards and especially, Ivy Bridge processors arrive. Waiting for full qualification before purchasing is therefore advised, or an expensive motherboard replacement may be required in the not too distant future.

There is some good news however. For those wanting to continue using Windows XP, the Waimea Bay platform will be compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the operating system. However, Intel won’t be providing Rapid Storage drivers for 32-bit XP, which means that the basic Windows drivers will be handling drive access, which may not be optimal. Unsurprisingly, the upcoming Waimea Bay platform will also be supporting the upcoming Windows 8, when released.

It’s not so good on the chipset front, either. Intel has increased the price of the X79 chipset by 20% compared to the X58 chipset, putting the X79 chipset somewhere in the region of $70. This is the list price, so the discounted or “street” price should be a lot lower. However, we are looking at a chipset that offers no new features over X58 and it’s the same size as the 6-series chipsets – it should be cheaper to manufacture than the X58 chipset which only consists of the I/O Hub and the ICH10R. We wish AMD well with their new processors and chipsets, as competition can only be a good thing here and is clearly needed.

It's one thing for "errata" to be discovered some time after a product has been released and then to manufacture a revised processor, but it doesn’t seem right for Intel to release processors with a known major feature fault like this, especially as most buyers are unlikely to know about it and Intel is even less likely to shout about it. Therefore, buyers would be wise to wait for the bug-fixed C2 version before upgrading, unless they are absolutely sure they won’t need this virtualization feature. After all, are Intel going to offer a free replacement to the fixed version for customers of the initial C1 versions? Only this gesture can make releasing such an obviously flawed product right. Intel have offered such a free replacement recently with the faulty SATA controller, so there's hope yet they'll do the right thing. And just as importantly, it's worth keeping a close watch on what significant errata C2 might harbour, before upgrading.

Link : Sandy Bridge-E VT-d Broken In C1 Stepping, Fixed In C2 Stepping, Shortly After Launch | techPowerUp

mrcool63 said:
Absolute non existent QC!!!!:mad: They are pumping out products with known issues.. the 1156 fiasco then their SSD then this.. what exactly does the QC department in intel do???

How about spreading rumours about AMD? :rofl:

Also forgot about the SSD bug.

Back