CPU/Mobo Intel Sandy Bridge-E Discussion Thread

Hades. said:
news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-X79-Is-50-More-Expensive-than-the-Z68-Brings-Almost-No-New-Features-227237.shtml

Yup, but this has already been told in the media.

Also, these i7 are for those who need the extra PCIe lanes solely. But in performance, yeah, LGA 1155 is all ya need now.

THe more interesting Sandy Bridge(I don't think anybody will give a damn for a LOCKED 4 core Sandy Bridge E at 300$, when you can get the i7 2600k instead)

Core i7 3930k - 550$ review Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition and Core i7-3930K processors for LGA 2011 Platform - X-bit labs

I think this is the only interesting SB-E right now, and it too overclocks to the 4.5GHz that Core i7 3960X for 990$ does. Overclocking, overall, is a disappointment on SB-E, with higher clocks taking a HUGE(read review) hit to power consumption, like 200W for 4.5GHz, meanwhile a i7 2700k would take half for 5GHz and come to terms with performance, all for 1/3rd of the price.

Overclocking, overall, is a disappointment on SB-E, with higher clocks taking a HUGE(read review) hit to power consumption, like 200W for 4.5GHz, meanwhile a i7 2700k would take half for 5GHz and come to terms with performance, all for 1/3rd of the price.

What performance are you referring to? the SB-E chips scale well in multi threaded environments.

I mean overclock a i7 2700k and enjoy near identical performance to the 990$ chip

Firstly, I feel the $990 chip is going to be redundant, with the $550 chip. Now the people interested in these chips largely work in multi-processor environment, where applications take full utilization of the extra cores and L3 cache. Where a simple Ocing the SB chip is not going to help. Imagine video rendering farms where you also require support for extra PCIE bandwith, and RAM at disposal. Do not just look at game performance to gauge performance (unfortunately a lot of folks here tend to look at game performance only)

If Toolius is reading this, he can explain more on the application for these processors.

Its better to wait for another 6 months and go for ivy bridge ,it is also backwards compatible to current generations motherboards.

Back