iOS iOS 7 Jailbreak released [iOS 7.1 not compatible]

@avi

Yeah checked. Seems Saurik was not knowing this was going to happen.
Not sure if i should as well wait. I have an iPhone 4, 4S and iPad 2 and need to update to iOS 7.
Hope Apple does not release something and close window of iOS 7.0.4

What you suggest ? How much time before things settle and also does this mean nothing would be working at the moment ?[DOUBLEPOST=1387720499][/DOUBLEPOST]Or should i just update to iOS 7 now and then when things stabilize i should jailbreak ?[DOUBLEPOST=1387720554][/DOUBLEPOST]Also should i do this..

iOS 5.1.1 (current iOS) -> using iTunes take backup -> Update to iOS 7.0.4 -> restore backup ?

Now i want to restore backup because i cannot afford to lose my SMS, Contacts etc etc.

Wait for one or two days.

If you like current jailbreak & can't live without tweaks then don't update to iOS 7. If you can wait till things stabilize, then update it.

iOS 5 (jb-ed) > take back up > update to iOS 7 > jb > restore back up.

or a bit longer, but safer process:

iOS 5 (jb-ed) > take back up > update to iOS 7 > restore & take back up again > wipe phone > jb > restore back up.

@avi

The thing is last time i missed iOS 6 update due to the reason i kept waiting so i am bit scared because apple may push some new iOS 7.X.X which may or may not be jailbreakble.

^that could be possible, but I rather have a stable jailed device than a unstable jb-ed

Yes so that's what. I know i will miss jailbreak till things are stabilized and will miss my favourite tweaks but i plan to put iOS 7.0.4 now and be there WITHOUT jailbreaking it for now.
This i want to do just so that i am on a jailbreakable iOS 7.x.x version.

Updating my iOS 5.1.1 iPad 2 now using iTunes and it says 6 Hours remaining to download the update. :eek:
Probably will have to keep laptop ON entire night as i cannot let my internet b/w get used for the download tomorrow as i have other stuff for which i want internet.

I guess u won't be able to restore your backup file of iOS 5 on iOS7 as I tried the same bt it failed.

Try if it works for u.. I was desperately waiting for ios7 jb.. Need to jb iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 3..

Christmas task.. Jailbreak all apple products... :d

If restoring iOS 5 backup on iOS 7 is not possible then i have to follow the second method mentioned by @avi

iOS 5 (jb-ed) > take back up > update to iOS 7 > restore & take back up again > wipe phone > jb > restore back up.

Because i believe that between updates of iOS, the data would most probably remain intact even if i was not able to backup.[DOUBLEPOST=1387767337][/DOUBLEPOST]@avi @anuragjiwrajka

If i simply do this..

Connect iPhone to iTunes using cable -> The itunes page says update 7.0.4 is available for my device -> Click Update and let it update my iOS

So after iOS 7 is installed, in "ideal" circumstances, do i expect that my SMS messages, contacts and everything will still be intact. Please note and assume that i never backed up my device at all. Just simply updated the device.

On a side note, this update is gonna take time. I think iPad 2 setup file for iOS 7.0.4 (for someone coming from iOS 5.1.1) is almost 1.5 GB.
Wonder how much bandwidth it will eat for iPhone 4 / 4S.

Last edited:
This is turning out to be a big mess. Things are getting ugly. This always happens when money comes into picture. Not that i do not want jailbreak devs to get compensated.

On another note, twice has my download got interrupted using iTunes for my iPad 2 and now i am downloading the IPSW separately and will do a SHIFT+ Update in iTunes after the IPSW is downloaded.

Guys to be more specific on the issue...

I had iPad 3 with ios 5 jb.. i went to dubai and it gave me ios 7 update.. thinking about the free wifi in my hotel with an amazing speed i upgraded it bymistake..
It got updated in less than 15 mins.. when it rebooted it gave me a sign to plug my ipad to itunes..

The moment i connected my ipad it said new update is available for itunes.. I updated that.. After that it said new update is available for your ipad.. I again updated my ipad to iOS 7.. After all this was done.. i found that my iPad was as good as new with MY PREVIOUS DATA...

I tried to reconnect to the itunes dont know how it restored all my data(applications) back in place..

Now what i had was iOS 7 without JB and all my previous data was deleted (eg: my score in Temple Run, Subway surfers, Themes etc).

So i would suggest better be ready for the consequences :d

Updated iPad 2 to iOS 7, for some stupid reason all my iBooks are gone. No idea why. When i opened iBooks for first time after installing iOS 7, the books appeared and just that in front me all of them disappeared :O
Now will download IPSW of iPhone 4 and 4S.

Btw while installing iOS 7 on iPad first time it gave me some error that cannot be updated due to some issue and i got a dreaded USB cable and iTunes sign on iPad.
Connected to iTunes and it said iPad is in recovery and need to be restored. I shift restored to IPSW i downloaded and it restored fine and then restored the backup which seems to have done its job but no idea why the books in iBooks is gone.
I had done the transfer purchases to computer before i took the backup.

@avi

Want to be double sure before i update my main 4S Phone to iOS 7.0.4 so here are my queries..

1. How do i make sure all my data, especially SMS and contacts are intact AFTER the update ?
2. I updated my iPad and i saw many apps disappear after the update, i have no idea why they are not available anymore. I did restore my backup which i had taken before i updated the OS.
3. Is there any manual way to copy contacts and SMS to PC for the just in case scenario ? My contacts are mostly synced to google so that may be ok but i want to just be double sure so want to take manual backup.
4. Worst case, if i do update to iOS 7.0.4 and CANNOT restore back the backup, then only option is to setup everything as new ?
5. Should i be doing the "Transfer Purchases from iPhone" BEFORE i even attempt to take backup ? Because i always thought that transfer purchases is done so that when we sync the iPhone using iTunes, the apps we downloaded directly on the phone or installed from alternate sources they do not get deleted during sync.

1. taking back up, thats the only way. Or you can copy all files with iFunbox and restore them later, but I am not sure this would work.
2. No idea why. Where they pirated apps or bought with some different apple id?
3. Yes, you can. http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/14/manual-iphone-backup-data-locations/
4. Well, if you cannot restore back up then you have to set up as new. Keep notes, contacts on the iCloud. Take manual back up also and all the stuff which you can back up as explained in earlier link. By that way you will be able to restore most of the stuff. You can also take backup of app data, but you have to do that manually again. And there are many tools for taking back up of Photos also.
5. I don't know.

iTunes back up don't fail. and then there are tools which extract data from iTunes back up also. So don't fret, take back up before updating to iOS 7 and after. Everything will be fine.

tried to jb my iPad 3.. It went through the stage of rebooting and got stuck at rebooting... :(

Spent almost 5 hours getting things sorted out..

Understood this is not the correct time to jailbreak..

Back