User Review iPad pro vs Galaxy Tab S7. Android TABLET or iPad only??

Has to do with how much of effort Apple puts into making iPadOS looks brilliant on IPS panels. Btw, how is RAM management. I purchased iPad Air 4 half a year ago and till now, I never had to 'clear all applications', something that we all had to do regularly on Android phones. More than 2 dozen apps are visible in app switcher and I never ever bothered to close an application. It is butter smooth and speed has not reduced a bit even after half a year. App quality is at a different level though there are these stupid apps (eg: WazirX) that are yet to release tablet native UI.
Probably.. The 12.9 mini LED is anyway in a different league so I had no misconceptions there.

I was actually surprised by two things:

Display - I had expected a significant difference between the ipp 11 ( 3 year old model from 2018) and the s7+.
Overall, the s7+ still does have a better display overall than the 11 but the color accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

HDR performance is acceptable , but is marred by a couple of odd glitches
a) HDR playback does not kick auto brightness so manual adjustment is required. The only app where this works as expected is Youtube
b) Pushing manual brightness beyond 80% or so turns the slider to Red (from blue) - not sure it if its a warning to avoid so keeping it in blue zone for extended actual video playback
c) At 80% , the HDR contrast/punch is significantly poorer than the ipp 12.9 (the mini-LED variant which is absolutely stunning in HDR)- but definitely better than 11 (which is paler)

Also, hotstar does not seem to be doing HDR at all - but that blame goes on Hotstar

Performance

This has been a surprise in the other direction.
I had expected the SD865 to be laggy to some extent, esp with 6GB Barring a few microstutters, it has been pretty solid so far.
Even connecting an external 4K monitor (although it seems to be driven at a lower res) for dex mode seems to yield a reasonably fluid experience.
While I do not have a major use for a docked tablet (i'd rather use my desk system when at desk) - but I can see it being far more useful than a docked ipad (which is pretty much useless) for someone who needs it

Do note that I do not use any of my tabs for anything very processing intensive like large video edits etc - but for day to day usage, I have not been disappointed by the s7+ performance

I am using oneplus 8 as primary phone.
So, do you clear the apps out of habit. In my case, average RAM use is 82%. And the phone is fine to be used with more than 1GB of free RAM available. With 8GB models, even more free RAM will be available.

The S7+ was available briefly for 41K on fk last week.
I decided to take a chance given the excellent pricing .

Having used it for a few days now, I will say this.
No regrets for buying it the price I got - At 41K, its almost at par with the pricing of the base ipad + apple pencil.

However - (and unless your workflow must use an android)
The much vaunted display is not even close to the 12.9 ipad pro (current gen)
Against the 11" ipad pro LCD (2018 model), it does better on black levels - but that's the only aspect where it does better.

How did you get one for 41k? Do you have the FK axis card ?

So, do you clear the apps out of habit. In my case, average RAM use is 82%. And the phone is fine to be used with more than 1GB of free RAM available. With 8GB models, even more free RAM will be available.
No.it was good with oxygen Os 10. With 11, Ram management is messed upphone hangs a lot

There is more to it.
The 2018 tab i was comparing the s7+ against is beat only on the display front.

For perspective, the competing tablet at the time i got the older tab was , believe it or not, Galaxy S4 !

@idestinytechlab If you are not worried about Benchmark scores or emulating PS on it, I cannot see any difference between that and the iPad Pro. My use case is different, and honestly I find the Android tablet more to my liking - the multi-tasking, the keyboard commands, and the seamless integration of LTE/5G services (where I can send SMSes and Calls from a standalone number) are all things that I really really appreciate.

As for lag and slowness, the last time I have experienced any sort of a lag was on my Tab S3 (bought used here on TE), but from Tab S4 onwards (along with S6, S7Plus, S8U, S7FE) I have never once noticed any lag. I never even bothered to restart or periodically close the apps in the background.

If you have any questions, you could definitely ask, but like @mutant most of my work gets done on the S6 (it is handy) and while I would LOVE to use the S8U more often my current situation prevents me from being able to do it on an everyday basis.

Should android tablets even exist with the vast superiority of ipad apps and power?
After being on a Spectre laptop for over five years now and moving from the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 tab I got in 2012

My framing of that question is why use a tablet when you can have a proper keyboard, a desktop OS with all its legacy app support and a bigger screen?

Cost ? yeah. But if that isn't a barrier. There is no match.

If you talk about weight iPad pro has an 11-12 inch screen so you're not sticking that in your pocket.

I think a 10-11 inch tablet is perfect size for daily use, the s7 plus is an amazing tablet but handy its not can't imagine handling the s8 ultra, if you want portability and handy use stick to 10 inch tablet and of course as an android user prefer the galaxy tabs over ipads anyday

Back