Ipad pro with mini led display upto 16 GB RAM launched

The main issue is that the iPads are being bought for consumption and studies. Doing any sort of actual serious work on it is practically a non starter.

The pandemic will continue, but how many people will buy tablets? Some of my work colleagues got iPads for their kids, because they thought it would be better for studies, and they could reuse for themselves later, but in the end nearly 30-40 percent of the study stuff is being done on a computer.
iPads nowadays are much more than just for 'studies & consumption'.

For starters, I'd suggest taking a look a at how Apple is supporting digital artists with Procreate.

If you only use iPad for Netflix, doesn't mean that others do the same. There's a shifting trend and the Apple Pencil & robust keyboard support has brought a lot of it.

iPads nowadays are much more than just for 'studies & consumption'.

For starters, I'd suggest taking a look a at how Apple is supporting digital artists with Procreate.

If you only use iPad for Netflix, doesn't mean that others do the same. There's a shifting trend and the Apple Pencil & robust keyboard support has brought a lot of it.

Yep for digital artists it great. But apart from that nopes.

The shifting trend is not changing because of the iPad pencil etc - its because of the changes in workflows.

The main issue is that the iPads are being bought for consumption and studies. Doing any sort of actual serious work on it is practically a non starter.
Serious work is a relative term. A Hollywood movie editor is a pro and a wedding video editor is also a pro. YouTubers, video editors, photographers, film sets already use iPad for a lot of work. One major limitation was the ability to edit files from an external drive which is addressed by thunderbolt port. Hopefully external display native resolution support also comes to iPad.
The shifting trend is not changing because of the iPad pencil etc - its because of the changes in workflows.
Actually it is also because of a pencil and a touch interface. Most people using iPad are actually mac users and they love it so much that they want a Mac OS inside it. People are ready to ditch their Mac for iPad but cannot that's why iPad receives so much hate online.
Whenever we talk about iPad pro we need to remember that it is primarily designed for creating content. We cannot call it useless for everyone till we see what Apple has to offer in WWDC. If nothing substantial comes to the software, only then we can say that iPad is still for content creation and nothing more.

Exactly.

But for most use cases where all you need to do is reply on mails, it works well. Plus you have the price factor AND pro tag ;)
I think more and more people find touchscreen devices more convenient, that's why they are ready to compromise. Personally I use my MacBook Air 90% of the time and my iPhone only 10% and that too for only chat and phone calls. Once you get used to typing on a real physical keyboard there is no going back plus the trackpad which I also find very convenient.

I find people are betting a lot on future, let's see and before I annoy any more iPad users here. I only wanted to have meaningful discussion and not otherwise. People get lot more passionate over devices these days be it mobiles or their favourite brand. I don't find it worthwhile to get involved in those.

The thing which some people are calling 'crippled' is not even available in the market yet, not even for a pre order. It will arrive in May end and the expected software updates will come in WWDC June. Still there seems to be a hurry to pass an early verdict. We have two awesome devices from one brand and instead of picking the one which suits them the best or buying both or none they are hell-bent on proving that the other one is an expensive useless machine.

Exactly. You would be using the device mainly for consumption, and for work, if the workflow is that way.

I think its more to do with the better hardware and software. Using an older iPad with a janky keyboard was a PITA. Now, with Apple embracing this and getting better hardware its improved by light years. Then the software has finally caught up. You don't want one screen only - you might want a bit of multi tasking.
I think the A12X (or arguably the A10x) was the first chip where they finally got to a point where chip performance got at par with mid range PC hardware
So while my expectations were different when i got the device, I soon realized it works very well for - well, work.

So for home usage, for the times where I would use the laptop (in a slightly uncomfortable stance) on the bed/ sofa for say browsing/ reading/ordering, I shifted to using the ipp+ KB instead as the UI experience was more or less the same but the device more comfortable to use.

For work purposes, when doing serious work, I use external monitor + laptop in dual screen mode. A somewhat unusual way I use it at desk is to add the ipad as a third screen .
More importantly, if i need to continue working on emails/ docs but want to get away from the desk, I just pick up the ipad and walk away.

I would not use it when working on something serious - like working on a complex xls - but will gladly use it to review /edit a mail or deck that needs to go out
I would not use it when doing something very involved at home (e.g. tinkering with a linux system over terminal) but will gladly use it for generic home chores - if you see what I am saying.

As for the M1 ipad, I expect it to be a lot snappier than the M1 macbook (which is super snappy to begin with) due to the highly optimized nature of ios
However not looking to upgrade this cycle as the A12X still offers plenty of performance , and some

Serious work is a relative term. A Hollywood movie editor is a pro and a wedding video editor is also a pro. YouTubers, video editors, photographers, film sets already use iPad for a lot of work. One major limitation was the ability to edit files from an external drive which is addressed by thunderbolt port. Hopefully external display native resolution support also comes to iPad.

Actually it is also because of a pencil and a touch interface. Most people using iPad are actually mac users and they love it so much that they want a Mac OS inside it. People are ready to ditch their Mac for iPad but cannot that's why iPad receives so much hate online.
Whenever we talk about iPad pro we need to remember that it is primarily designed for creating content. We cannot call it useless for everyone till we see what Apple has to offer in WWDC. If nothing substantial comes to the software, only then we can say that iPad is still for content creation and nothing more.

I have actually never seen anyone who does video editing with multiple layers to use an iPad Pro with touch/pencil. Here serious work means someone for whom its a primary source of living.

Back