iPhone 3G Official Pricing Out!!

deep_nx said:
HAHAHA now i am loling to see all those whu predicted the WRONG price in this thread >>>>>>>>>>

http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/exclusive-iphone-3g-out-india-next-115527.html

Where everyone called me foolish 2 buy the 2g version over the 3g and i explained y i bought the 2g instead

READ my posts in that thread 2 believe me :p

Dude, you made the right choice. If that makes you happy ;)
However, 26k is still too high a price to pay for a phone without warranty. I would rather pay 5k more when I am getting a newer model, warranty and piece of mind.

[posted the same message on the other topic]

only a stupid will buy at that price 20k:D was fine but 31k for 8gb:mad: :mad: wtf :mad:

5p/10kb is really bad and they are providing just 50mb free usage hope this changed with advent of 3g

yeah the price is same for airtel too chk out

Q: Where can I buy the handset?

The handset is available from 22nd August 2008 onwards at our Airtel Stores.

Q: What is the price of iPhone?

8 GB (Black) for Rs 31000

16GB (White & Black) for Rs 36100

And the phone would be locked to airtel but u can chose any plan

Q: Is the Handset locked to Airtel Network?

Phone3G from Airtel is locked to Airtel network.

Q: Can I use another SIM of Airtel with this Handset?

Yes you can.

whts the 2g market price now...they went as low as 15k earlier now whts the status?????

note::also on some news channel these idiots were promoting with installment of 8500 u can buy...hope the person gets the piece on 1st installment and flee

got a mail from vodaphone as wel as airtel today and yes they really have priced the 8gb at 31k and 16gb at 36.1k!!!!they are crazy!!!i really really doubt it will sell in gr8 no.s....i thought the whole idiea if the3g phone was"gr8 phone..at half the price"".....so were does tht steve jobs ,antra go???damn disappointed!!!!!:mad:

Got this through email:
To celebrate the launch of the iPhone 3G in India, we will be opening three of our Airtel stores, one each in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore at the stroke of midnight 12.00am (Friday Morning) on August 22nd

I don't think many people will come for this.. anybody planning from TE??

^^there will still be hoards of people buying it, cashing in on its snob value which will be further enhanced by this outrageous pricing

If they are going to open stores at midnight then i suppose it will be all in news and AAJ TAK and India TV will be showing this live all night.

"Airtel ke Mumbai ke store mein afra tafri ka mahool, Log iphone lene ke liye lambhi kataroon mein shaam se hi khade hain.....

Aaiye poochte hain inn bhai sahaab se ki unko kaisa lag raha hai aur iPhone kyun lena chahte hai"

Chaos said:
100 bucks for unlimited data here. This will only be bought by lamers with more money than brains :bleh:

yup, such people are called "apple fanboys".....

100 bucks? where/how? :O i think there a few plans like that earlier. but it isnt available anymore. a few lucky people still have it though.

Wow, that's a huge premium they are expecting. Personally I would have to see huge value for that price and no mobile device is going to deliver that. 15-20K is the most I can see.

The only way iPhone is worth that amount is if some individual sees some 'showoff value' in it beyond the phone itself ie 'I can afford something this expensive' in which case its nothing to do with the phone itself or its features. If there is 'snob value' attached to it and if the target market is a niche of showoffs then I don't see anyone who is remotely familiar with technology buying the phone for what it offers in terms of features or falling for this sort of mindless pricing.

So clearly both operators have decided on niche strategy with artificially inflated prices and premium plans to milk those who can afford it. They must be sourcing it at a max of $400 for 8GB and $500 for 16GB, probably less, plus taxes which are not much for mobile phones I think. That's a clean profit of about $200-250 just on the device let alone the premium data plans.

So you pay premium prices for the device, the data and YOU GET A LOCKED DEVICE. This is called getting royally jacked, I don't see how this can make sense for anyone.

Infact following up on that since Airtel and Vodaphone are NOT subsidizing the device, infact they are making profits on it, how can they justify LOCKING it? Seriously?

Since the whole idea of the locking model is the operator subsidizes the phone and hence to recoup the subsidy needs to lock it to its network, which keeps the deal out of the anti-monopoly and competitive trade practices legislation. Surely TRAI should look into this.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Apple to sell it through its stores as a retail device rather than going through the operators and giving them a hefty cut and making it more expensive for end consumers for no particular purpose? Since $400-500 is a niche price anyway we can reasonably speculate they would have got similar numbers through their stores and since they could have priced it less probably more numbers than what Airtel/Vodaphone combine will get at 31k plus premium iPhone plans blatantly designed to rip off customers for the exact same services.

Apparently AT&T now pays $400/500 upfront to Apple for every 8/16GB

Airtel/Vodafone may not have been able to negotiate that price, but even assuming it is 425/525 they pay, 31000/36000 is still obscenely high :(

Back