iPhone 5 from Canada through FedEx?

tranceinside

Disciple
Hello Readers,
My brother has has pre-ordered unlocked iPhone 5 which are expected to reach between 21-23th. My question is how much duty is charged on cellphone? Where is the custom paid? I have a Airtel micro sim.. So i can cut it further to use it. Please share your experiences of previous iPhone purchases! Thanks

Just a word of caution. The Iphone5 uses a nano sim which is still not available in India...

^ Was about to say that. Micro SIM won't work on iPhone 5

Guys! Micro sim is available at airtel and i believe all the carriers. You can cut them further to use as nano sim like we did for iPhone 4 and 4S by cutting normal standard sim to micro size. Micro sim has the same size of digtal chip like nano sim unlike standard.
Check this video below and we all can use Iphone 5 in India by cutting Micro sim further-

Guys please tell me whether customs is paid by FedEx itself or not? I have been reading many blogs where Indians have posted that FedEx paid their customs to avoid delay and later owners were asked to pay the customs and brokerage charge to get it out of customs.. Is it true or not? My phone will reach on 21st according to the tracking..Secondly someone has posted that the sender is required to get the following documents thats worrying me-

Abhishek:
So I called in FedEX australia and got following info..
——————————————————————————————————————-
1) Consignee must provide an authorization from the Ministry of Post, Telephone and Telegraph for Radio equipment.
2) Import Permit from the Ministry of Commerce required of consignee for shipments of TELECOMMUNICATION and RADIO COMMUNICATION products. Expect up to 7 days delay to secure this Permit.
3) Communication jamming equipment is prohibited. Satellite equipment may need government approval.
4) Fedex International Airway Bill (Consignment note)
5) Commercial Invoice (3 Copies)
For the item 1,2 and 3, you need to advise your contact person in India to check with the Customs.
——————————————————————————————————————-
* 3rd is not applicable for iphone.
* 4 will be prepared but Fedex and Original Invoice will be sent attached.
* But if the iphone is for my personal use, so will customs ask for item 1 and 2?
Plz let me know.I dont want the shipment to stuck in customs.
Thanks

Later he messaged on the same thread that he got the phone and paid 800rupees.. But i cant find any way to contact him on that blog.

^ Fedex will usually clear the item and pay the duty on your behalf. At the time of delivery you will have to pay the customs duty plus Rs 300 + tax as their handling charge.

If they need any additional documents for customs clearance, they will contact you, but in most cases it should be fine.

Guys! Micro sim is available at airtel and i believe all the carriers. You can cut them further to use as nano sim like we did for iPhone 4 and 4S by cutting normal standard sim to micro size. Micro sim has the same size of digtal chip like nano sim unlike standard.
Check this video below and we all can use Iphone 5 in India by cutting Micro sim further-

Wow, Cut the Ordinary simcard, and it becomes Micro Sim, cut Micro SIM and it becomes nano SIM. :p I thought it's Apple's new invention :p

@ Rahul, You cant cut ordinary sim to make nano. The size of the ordinary sim chip is larger then the nano sim card itself. You can only use the ordinary sim card to use it as micro.
For Nano sim, You need a micro sim which has a smaller chip and then cut it further to use in iPhone 5.

- - - Updated - - -

^ Fedex will usually clear the item and pay the duty on your behalf. At the time of delivery you will have to pay the customs duty plus Rs 300 + tax as their handling charge.

If they need any additional documents for customs clearance, they will contact you, but in most cases it should be fine.

Thank you so much! This was the only doubt in my head because i dont want to struggle with the customs. I will prefer FedEx Express for my shipment and update everyone soon with the package and new iPhone.

@ Rahul, You cant cut ordinary sim to make nano. The size of the ordinary sim chip is larger then the nano sim card itself. You can only use the ordinary sim card to use it as micro.
For Nano sim, You need a micro sim which has a smaller chip and then cut it further to use in iPhone 5.
That may not be true, you can cut even your regular size sim to Nano sim, just a quick search of ebay.com

@paarkhi you need to read reviews online! Nano sim is 40percent smaller then Micro sim. And if you cut a standard sim with the larger chip.. You will cut your chip aswell..It cannot be used.. Only micro chip (Micro Sim) can be cut further.

Last edited by a moderator:
GUYS NEED HELP:hail: I called FedEx Hyderabad regarding the customs and clearance process and they asked me to call 18002096161. I explained everything to the girl about my shipment. She asked me the total value of the package including the shipping and i sad Rs.40000.. She said that FedEx would itself clear the item from customs and deliver you on the mentioned date.

She told me to get the package marked as gift instead of personal use else it would be put on hold and sent back. She also told me that the customs duty on new cellphone is around 21.8percent on the total value and i will be asked to pay 25-30percent on the total value by FedEx at the time of delivery... 25-30 percent is way too much guys! 10000-15000 Rupees Customs:scared14: Everyone said 2-4 percent????:scared14:

Is it worth getting this phone through FedEx?

guys need help:hail: i called fedex hyderabad regarding the customs and clearance process and they asked me to call 18002096161. I explained everything to the girl about my shipment. She asked me the total value of the package including the shipping and i sad rs.40000.. She said that fedex would itself clear the item from customs and deliver you on the mentioned date.

She told me to get the package marked as gift instead of personal use else it would be put on hold and sent back. she also told me that the customs duty on new cellphone is around 21.8percent on the total value and i will be asked to pay 25-30percent on the total value by fedex at the time of delivery... 25-30 percent is way too much guys! 10000-15000 rupees customs:scared14: Everyone said 2-4 percent????:scared14:

Is it worth getting this phone through fedex?

please reply someone???

I really hope you are not charged exorbitantly.. Wow 10k for customs?? *Faints* I've been charged duty once for a modchip. I was charged 3k for a 6k modchip :( I decided to use HK post thereafter..

Anyway GOOD LUCK brother keep us updated...

Hey guys! Here is the update-

Got Iphone 5 with 25percent customs on invoice and additional clearance charges of Rs.500 to FedEx.
* 16GB cost 750$ including tax from Apple Store.
* FedEx charged 200$ under 2 pounds for 3 days express delivery.
* Customs knew that Iphone 5 is selling out at 100percent Premium+.. So they charged 25percent on total invoice value because the phone is not available in Indian market yet and they have a good reason to make their earnings.. If it was available officially it would had been 5-12percent only.Secondly, I have contacted all the sellers on Ebay regarding the customs and they all had paid almost the same duty and some did setting with customs guys.. A dude brought 8 Iphone 5 last week and had paid 7000 on each even after having the IEC... And many paid 25percent like me.... They also said that the prices would fall after 20th october between 50000-60000 in Indian grey market for 16GB.. Keep your patience high and wait for a month.. Iphone 5 will be officially announced by November end with 20% premium by Apple starting at 50990...

Best way is to get the phone through anyone coming to india else through DHL or FedEx in India because they pay the custom itself and deliver you on the mentioned date safely with additional clearance of 300-500. Both FedEx and DHL has their custom clearance agents in India.. I believe they have internal setting with them and gets the item cleared on the same day with unreasonable duty...

Hey guys! Here is the update-

Got Iphone 5 with 25percent customs on invoice and additional clearance charges of Rs.500 to FedEx.
* 16GB cost 750$ including tax from Apple Store.
* FedEx charged 200$ under 2 pounds for 3 days express delivery.
* Customs knew that Iphone 5 is selling out at 100percent Premium+.. So they charged 25percent on total invoice value because the phone is not available in Indian market yet and they have a good reason to make their earnings.. If it was available officially it would had been 5-12percent only.Secondly, I have contacted all the sellers on Ebay regarding the customs and they all had paid almost the same duty and some did setting with customs guys.. A dude brought 8 Iphone 5 last week and had paid 7000 on each even after having the IEC... And many paid 25percent like me.... They also said that the prices would fall after 20th october between 50000-60000 in Indian grey market for 16GB.. Keep your patience high and wait for a month.. Iphone 5 will be officially announced by November end with 20% premium by Apple starting at 50990...

Best way is to get the phone through anyone coming to india else through DHL or FedEx in India because they pay the custom itself and deliver you on the mentioned date safely with additional clearance of 300-500. Both FedEx and DHL has their custom clearance agents in India.. I believe they have internal setting with them and gets the item cleared on the same day with unreasonable duty...

Congrats with your purchase. So how much did you finally pay in INR?

Approx 63000. There is a guy name Parin Daulat from Kolkata on Ebay selling Iphone 5 16gb for just Rs.60000 and he had already sold 34 in two days...Yesterday he had 20 phones and they were all pre-ordered on ebay and sold out.. He said all the guys buying after the first 20 would be getting by the end of october.. But today he mailed me that he can deliver it by next saturday... So its an awesome deal and i will buy 1 for my wife.

Check his link here and place your orders guys- Just got his e-mail confirming next saturday-http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280976731782&_qi=RTM1234539#ht_9328wt_1033

He is a well known seller in Kolkata dealing on iphones from many years!

Update: Yesterday he had sold first 20 iPhone 5's in his stock for 58000 only and today increased to 60000 to get them quick for all the next batch.

- - - Updated - - - Please check the attachments- Good luck with your purchases! I have provided the best info and deal available for Indians at the moment. Singing off!

Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 7.22.43 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-26 at 7.23.37 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-26 at 7.23.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-09-26 at 7.31.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-26 at 7.24.25 PM.png

Back