iPhone 5s, 5c to be sold by Reliance Communications at Rs 2,999, Rs 2,599 EMIs

Thinking of it as a 2 year EMI, I don't know why everybody thinks it's a bad offer. With the 2999 INR per month (*24), turns out to be nearly 72k at the end of contract. You essentially pay around 18-20k extra depending on the model (5S). Considering a processing fees of say 3k-4k for 2 years, one is paying 16k for 24 months for unlimited calls and messages (3000 a month) and 3G data. Not that bad an offer for those on Reliance.

Not at all a bad deal.
There are 3 things which require clarity
1. FUP on 3G data plans
2. Fair usage policy on So called Unlimited Voice and Sms (Remember 3000 sms/month Cap implemented by TRAI for postpaid)
3. ST applicable on monthly EMI of 2,999?

Not at all a bad deal.
There are 3 things which require clarity
1. FUP on 3G data plans
2. Fair usage policy on So called Unlimited Voice and Sms (Remember 3000 sms/month Cap implemented by TRAI for postpaid)
3. ST applicable on monthly EMI of 2,999?
I think the FAQ does not state any FUP, though it does write that above average or commercial use for the same might result in charges/suspension. And umm.. 3000 SMSs/month isn't enough in this era of WhatsApp/WeChat/BBM (shudders) ? My mobile bill hovers around 2-2.5k every month (roaming + 6GB 3G access) and at most I send 20-25 SMSs/month.
ST *might* not be a concern as they're treating it as EMI, so 2999 should be all inclusive.

I went to the showroom for some SIM problem today.... They didn't have any 5c/s on display. They are selling them though.

Folks, is it CDMA connection or GSM ?

And is the phone unlocked or locked to Reliance ?
GSM i suppose. Locked to Reliance Network for 2 years. As you're using under contract and using your credit card, there's no way you could run away by jail breaking the phone.

Because in the US, operators have margins to play with such bundling plans. In India, there’s a crisis of low average revenue per user. Indian credit system is also bad. In the US, it’s simple to track credit history. In India, people take the phone and run away.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...-begin-now-says-aircel-cmo/article4273466.ece

^^ No, no. It is unlocked (as mentioned in the FAQ). You're free to use it with any network, but you still need to pay the 2999/2499 to Reliance every month.

Please bother to post that link, Afaik there's nothing like that. http://www.rcom.co.in/iPhone/terms-conditions.html
http://www.rcom.co.in/iPhone/iPhone5s/faqs.html

LUE6H2i.jpg

Confirmation from an official link is Good. But again it's restricted to four Credit cards ICICI,HDFC,STANDARD CHAR, CITIBANK.
They planned it in a proper manner, they know the user will run away with the phone if it was not under Credit card.

^^ Obviously ! We don't have credit history tracking like SSN etc., nor is the identity tied to a single number, and knowing how fraudulent the market can be, it's in Rcom's best interest to get the amount locked. Not doing it would've been stupid. Now the sole onus lies with the banks, not with Rcom.

Last edited:
Confirmation from an official link is Good. But again it's restricted to four Credit cards ICICI,HDFC,STANDARD CHAR, CITIBANK.
They planned it in a proper manner, they know the user will run away with the phone if it was not under Credit card.

I guess the point is not to run away from the contract, but the ability to use it on a diff. network if required, like traveling or something.
So, the phone being unlocked and someone not respecting the contract are different propositions[DOUBLEPOST=1383461262][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, what is your opinion on Reliance GSM service quality in NCR ?

Recommendable or not ?

Last edited:
If the 3G is truly unlimited then I will definitely purchase this and sell of the iPhone.
I am already a Reliance CDMA user with unlimited 3G (don't ask me how) and my monthly bill is around 1200.
Even if I sell the iPhone for 50k my monthly bill will be reduced by Rs. 250.

The phone is definitely unlocked as the RCOM offer is not compulsory but complimentary. It is your choice if you wanna take it or not.

Edit - There is no contract. This is just like any other credit card EMI purchase but just not at 0%. You are not obliged to get a Reliance no and use it for 2 years. A hold will be placed on your credit card for 2999×24 and every month you will be paying 2999 as your credit card payment. What the company is doing is offsetting the interest by providing a complimentary service plan for 2 years.

Last edited:
If the 3G is truly unlimited then I will definitely purchase this and sell of the iPhone.
I am already a Reliance CDMA user with unlimited 3G (don't ask me how) and my monthly bill is around 1200.

The phone is definitely unlocked as the RCOM offer is not compulsory but complimentary. It is your choice if you wanna take it or not.

Buddy, any comments on the quality of Rel. GSM ? This offer is valid on GSM only.

Any idea on how to get the gold color ? Online store now has only silver and grey, though gold was there on Nov 01

Edit - There is no contract. This is just like any other credit card EMI purchase but just not at 0%. You are not obliged to get a Reliance no and use it for 2 years. A hold will be placed on your credit card for 2999×24 and every month you will be paying 2999 as your credit card payment. What the company is doing is offsetting the interest by providing a complimentary service plan for 2 years.

+1 I was thinking of exactly the same thing... I have an airtel connection with fup which I pay 2200 fir... I won't mind switching to this if it's unlimited... Will have to sell if the iPhone but this offer is good even if I sell it for free

They have explicitly mentioned in the FAQs that "Unlimited" data is subject to "average use". Any "above average" or commercial use is a violation of terms.

This is actually a pretty good scheme.
Assuming your current plan costs you 1000/- pm currently. You are affectively paying 1800/- extra pm for the phone for 24 months
If you discount these EMI's by a annual ROI of 10%. The current value of the phone comes out to be 40K.
Currently iphone costs $650 + $57 = $707 in NYC which comes to about 43.5K INR .
Hence cheaper than US. even more if your current monthly bill is higher.
Given the phone is carrier unlocked and has warranty in India , seems like pretty good deal to me.

Back