iOS Is Apple India discontinuing International warranty?

As far as I remember, iPhones previously only had international warranty if the country where you are seeking warranty has offical apple store but now I guess that has changed.
But if you would have bought apple device in India, you could have got warranty in say US. I had done this back in 2015. I had Indian bought iPhone 6 which was replaced in US due to the touch disease issue.

repair is different from warranty.
Not in this case. Apple always said that if you can get an iphone/ipad/ipod repaired in any country, the warranty will be valid. They never mentioned it explicitly 5-6 years ago because they did not launch their entire product range in certain countries or launched products in different months (which affected spare parts availability and suitable diagnostic tools and machines) which could cause someone to have a "poor experience" or some BS.

I went to an apple store in mangalore with a friend to get his US bought ipod touch replaced for free (under warranty) in 2012. The issue earlier was that people used to take an imported iphone 4/4s to a store in India for repairs before its official launch so apple stores refused to take any foreign bought devices for a while (unless you had applecare+). This got fixed with the launch of the 6/6S

It was very much available ( I was using a ip5, bought from India and got it repaired rather replaced in Switzerland in 2016)
However Apples is going really off limits everywhere..
Even in Europe their service sucks completely..I'm buying the M1 Air today from a store located @ city centre of Praha, know most of the people working there. Called one of them yesterday ( personal phone, store was closed yesterday)
She suggested NOT to buy Apple Care!! Don't know the exact deal, will update. .and I trust her.

Last edited:
This is what pisses me about Apple, and how people deny their own experience and defend a brand.
Yes, M1 is fantastic, but the port situation sucks and they could have redesigned the M1 MacBook Pro/ Air to make them little lighter.
Just bought an Air without Apple care, if it ****s up and Apple refuses to repair/ replace it I'm going to break it on the manager's head.
I have no special love/ hate for Apple.
But I've spent a lot more money compared to my last Windows laptop and expect slightly better trackpad/ general performance ( yes, just slightly...as I have used it before, it's good but definitely not what reviews made it out to be)
If it doesn't perform, will just return it. Never denied my own experience, never will.

My MacBook Pro’s ₹6K faulty charger got rejected while it was under ₹18k apple care extended warranty because it has few scratches. They said new Apple India rule. lol.
Try a different store/AASP. I've seen broken cables being replaced for free under apple care so a charger should definitely be covered.

This is a problem in India purely because there are no official service centers and AASPs have discrete authority on a lot of cases.

If that doesn't work, get on phone with Apple. Be consistent. Once you get an authorization from apple, no AASP will be able to refuse the service.

Try a different store/AASP. I've seen broken cables being replaced for free under apple care so a charger should definitely be covered.

This is a problem in India purely because there are no official service centers and AASPs have discrete authority on a lot of cases.

If that doesn't work, get on phone with Apple. Be consistent. Once you get an authorization from apple, no AASP will be able to refuse the service.
You also need to haggle around a lot, take help of the Apple support etc to get them to do anything. Indian Apple service centres, at least the ones in Bangalore are super annoying as is, I really hope the International warranty on iPhones and the like are not removed. But I won't be very surprised if these so called authorised service centres do it

Even official service centers are no better. There are plenty of authorised ones all across Europe.
Yes, most issues eventually got resolved after a lot of phone calls, but it was not this bad earlier. Things gradually got worse from 2016, at least in Europe. I was using Macs from 2009/2010. There wasn't a single Apple Store like thing back then in Kolkata, but a company called Macintel used to sell and repair Macs. And their service wasn't bad.
In Europe Apple is viewed as a company which only makes phones and ipads. They make very few overpriced computers only the creative types buy.
And the service for computers really sucks in our country (Czech Republic)
Why do we pay Apple tax then?

Last edited:
My bro just came over to my place in the city after giving his iPhone 7 Plus for repair. It's showing a laptop+cable icon with text at the top saying Apple.com/restore.

The authorised service center took 1400 bucks from him to say it's a hardware issue, not software and will cost another 34k to repair. He had bought the phone almost two years ago for 36k in an offer, it was 40 something retail at the time.

I told him to sell it for scrap and buy a moto g or Samsung or something

IMG-20210621-WA0001.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Or try local mobile repair stores. Get the " hardware fault" thing in writing on official letterhead...they are supposed to give a proper inspection result (not sure about the terminology though) as they took the money as inspection charge.
Happened to me so many times ( not with iphone but MBP/ MBA)...they will either refuse to give anything in writing ( a phone call will bring them back on track) or write a very vague report about malfunctioned logic board ( if he got that already)
is for Mac, there must be similar a similar page for iOS devices. He will get an automated response with some docket number or something.
1-800-275-2273 is the US support number, once he gets the docket number, call them and escalate the issue without giving any explanation ( just mention security issues)...it will go through quickly to a human. And they do listen patiently.
If it's a genuine hardware issue, they will give some semi decent options.
I've dealt with these assholes so many times in past...

This is India mate.

Going to a local repair place tomorrow. I don't have the patience to follow up on my brother's stupid Apple phone.

He himself has decided to never buy Apple again.

I mean for whatsapp, calls and chrome how does a 10k phone do much worse than a 100k one?

Unfortunately motherboards do cost a lot.
My friend got LG G8x for 19k from flipkart.
Broke screen the second time (1st time free replacement) and it cost around 10k.
He asked there if mobo breaks down what will be the charge and he was told 23k lmao.
23k for 19k phone on sale.

My bro just came over to my place in the city after giving his iPhone 7 Plus for repair. It's showing a laptop+cable icon with text at the top saying Apple.com/restore.

The authorised service center took 1400 bucks from him to say it's a hardware issue, not software and will cost another 34k to repair. He had bought the phone almost two years ago for 36k in an offer, it was 40 something retail at the time.

I told him to sell it for scrap and buy a moto g or Samsung or something

View attachment 107556
Reminds me of a Louis Rossmann video about apple genius guides. Their solution for every problem, if it isn’t resolved by scanning on the spot, is motherboard replacement. Not sure if they actually do actual diagnosis or just follow some apple protocol from a script. (I feel it’s the later)

There has definitely been shift in Apple's warranty policies a while back only. I am not aware of the new policy yet but a friend who imported iPhone 12 Pro from US developed a screen issue with vertical green and pink line running down the screen.
No physical damage. Assuming Apple still carrying usual paperless international warranty, he went to B2X SC which was closest to him here in Mumbai. They asked for invoice and informed him that their new policy requires original purchase invoice if its not Indian retail unit and refused to entertain the repair under warranty. Unfortunately the relative who got the phone from local shop in US had misplaced the receipt during their travel back to india and took the phone back to US with them just before 2nd lockdown here.

This same experience was repeated with 4 more people in Apple india telegram group from different cities for various apple products and not just iphone but even accessories and ipads. With 3 different AASPs B2X, Aprtonix and Unicorn.

At the same time one guy got lucky and were able to get service without needing those invoice. So if buying in grey market, definitely be careful going forward. All these instances happened after launch of iPhone 12 in india and before SCs shut down again during second wave.

There has definitely been shift in Apple's warranty policies a while back only. I am not aware of the new policy yet but a friend who imported iPhone 12 Pro from US developed a screen issue with vertical green and pink line running down the screen.
No physical damage. Assuming Apple still carrying usual paperless international warranty, he went to B2X SC which was closest to him here in Mumbai. They asked for invoice and informed him that their new policy requires original purchase invoice if its not Indian retail unit and refused to entertain the repair under warranty. Unfortunately the relative who got the phone from local shop in US had misplaced the receipt during their travel back to india and took the phone back to US with them just before 2nd lockdown here.

This same experience was repeated with 4 more people in Apple india telegram group from different cities for various apple products and not just iphone but even accessories and ipads. With 3 different AASPs B2X, Aprtonix and Unicorn.

At the same time one guy got lucky and were able to get service without needing those invoice. So if buying in grey market, definitely be careful going forward. All these instances happened after launch of iPhone 12 in india and before SCs shut down again during second wave.

Same thing happened to my cousin he bought a Global 12PM (after me stopping him t buy it) locally from grey market to save 35k his phone died and visited B2X and he was denied warranty without the invoice now he have a paper weight worth 95k

No warranty for international Apple products if u don't have the invoice from the Origin of purchase u don't get warranty, This new policy came into effect from April 1st 2021.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a Louis Rossmann video about apple genius guides. Their solution for every problem, if it isn’t resolved by scanning on the spot, is motherboard replacement. Not sure if they actually do actual diagnosis or just follow some apple protocol from a script. (I feel it’s the later)
Years ago there was some diagnostic tool available for everyone ( if the computer could boot) Don't remember the name.
Once I somehow messed up the sleep image of a macbook Pro which was producing Kernel panic. Macintel told me it's definitely some hardware issue, but a genius on some Apple forum ( forgot the name again, ? Macrumours) helped to fix it within 10 minutes.
Now things are completely different, those old guys are not active anymore, to the new users Apple is like their religion ( being in the " ecosystem" for just couple of years) It's always the user's fault!!
Even after so many years, Apple couldn't make a spill proof keyboard. If you leave your laptop in a hot and humid room without actually dropping anything on it, the indicators may turn red and the "geniuses" won't even listen to anything if they can find a single red dot!!
Most people are decent and don't scream at them and get screwed over and over, year after year.
But if you are indecent like me and don't give a flying **** about your "classy" image and stop taking their bullshit, they usually buckle under pressure.
This is just not acceptable...I fought with almost everyone in the largest Apple store in Praha right from security to the GM of that store.
The GM lady is an older woman and her husband is a patient of mine. She told me that they are also disgusted with Apple's newer policies. I bought one M1 machine yesterday without any Apple care. She literally checked 5-6 new Air and gave me one, to avoid future troubles.
So far it's working fine with Logic, but I haven't installed all the 3rd part plugins except Slate's.
But must install Addictive Drums 2 as most of the pending projects have it. Even XLN audio is not sure if the latest update will work properly or not ( most of their test M1 machines are working fine, but not all) and it's bothering me.
The software is much more important to me than a laptop. I'm actually downloading all the adpacks all over again. If it misbehaves, the "bleeding edge" of technology is going back to the store. Opening few hundreds tabs in Safari is of no use to me.

it’s been a year at least now. last year in june i was told by this reliance resq guy that there has been a change in policy. i didn’t take it seriously because on the apple page it still said they need only the serial no. , the box or the bill. i had to provide bill to replace my airpods pro too.

With iPhones they need invoice now in Delhi as well although it varies from centre to centre, but it’s only for phones not for other devices which still carry the usual paperless warranty. From what I came to know the Indian dealers were pressuring Apple to go for this as many started getting iPhones from Duabi.

Back