Is it a bird or a plane? No It's headless NASSeedboxMan

superczar said:
this box just keeps getting better

I added a anonymizer page to the server...and now I can access blocked sites from behind a proxy (read workplace)

I can ftp to the box to fetch any files from an external location

I can run torrents/download files from an external location

best of all, using ssh, I can gain access to the linux terminal from an external location to create and run any script to do whatever I want (or whatever a PC can do)

I can ssh/telnet or even vnc (albeit slow) to the box from any other pc, symbian phone or iphone
tried on all three device types mentioned above and works like a charm (except VNC which runs slow on gprs...not that i need vnc,,I typically keep the gui disabled anyway and start it only if really needed)
Linux FTW :devil2:

Very very nice! Now thats what i call innovation! :cool2:

Do put up a guide. I would love to do something like that. Currently I am running a file server on a windows machine. :ashamed:

Interesting.. this inspires me to try something similiar, I have always wanted a low power downloading machine/NAS type of rig :)

Incidentally, how would the power consumption of slower, older processors compare to current Semprons/Celerons? I have a couple of MHz era Celerons which could really find good use here :)

@ czar - Why is there a box of pot pourri lying in your power cables?

LOL :ashamed:

Incidentally, how would the power consumption of slower, older processors compare to current Semprons/Celerons? I have a couple of MHz era Celerons which could really find good use here

the newer merom cores are very power efficient for the computing power they give you...

but having said that, there is no reason why a Celeron 600-700 consume any more than a Celeron 420 at 1.6ghz

(and even a celery 300-400 is more than enough to keep a CLI-only machine chugging happily)

Vaise I did the original setup in KDE environment as a pure CLI configuration would have been painful so having at least a 600-700 mhz + setup would not hurt...

That way, you can always enable KDE/GNOME (orr Xfce if KDE/GNOME are slow) if and when needed

I'll put up a guide for this for sure..perhaps by this weekend

gr8 , and the next HEADLESS RIG OF THE MONTH goes to : you again ..

great setup dude. :)

really innovative .. looks all cool and nice. i need something like that .soon will be great to have a guide setup .

Back