Is it really worthy to extend budget to get Nexus S or Galaxy SL

lak2004mi

Disciple
Urgent..What to choose..3 days to go..

Hi to all.. since i am planning to buy android mobile in the range of 15K (keeping defy in mind) i came across lot of suggestion in many post saying to extend a bit and go for Nexus s or Galaxy SL..

This is confusing much because i don't have problem in extending my budget but is it really worthy?! considering defy's performance & feature at that price..

Since i am in engineering field i may not have soft handling of device all the time..is Nexus s and Galaxy SL can handle me :huh:

if you are crazy about display and all,then bother about amoled stuff.

but as you said you are in engineering and i suppose you are in fields and all,I suggest motorola defy.

I have both motorola Atrix 4g and samsung galaxy s 4g.

I find both of them attractive but motorola has survived two hard crash on floors in hand of my my nephew and it came out clean.

not even scrathes.

but I cant say same for galaxy.i dont think samsung can survive two hard crash due to super delicate build and all.

SAMOLED is more of thing to flaunt.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and day to day use,samoled is too bright and even with lowest brightness.I prefer to use Atrix more than galaxy.

I would suggest looking either for a Samsung Captivate/Vibrant or getting a Nexus S..

Don't go for Galaxy SL.

As for the Defy, it's a good phone and VFM too, but I would put my money on either a Nexus S or a Captivate/Vibrant.

Why?

Super AMOLED is gorgeous(It is indeed a matter of personal preference)

The build quality may be plasticy but I personally find the Captivate to be awesome.

As for the drops or so, any phone has a tendency to give up if you are unlucky. Why not take precaution and buy a case. Although, nothing beats taking care of the phone while it stays in your palm though.

I don't have anything against Defy but I do think that the options are better with just a slight increase in the budget.

Oh and yes, I am aware Nexus S in India doesn't come with S.AMOLED. Nevertheless, it is still VFM and an awesome phone for that budget.

Vanilla Android FTW.

^ - WTF? Galaxy SL has SAMOLED? Since when? Even SL has super clear.

Edit: I thought dhruvrock2000 mentioned that "Nexus S doesn't have SAMOLED like Galaxy SL", but now i get it. He meant that "Nexus S doesn't have SAMOLED. It has SC-LCD like Galaxy SL"
And IMHO, one can never find the difference between S-AMOLED and SuperClear unless seen side by side.

@OP - what dhruvrock2000 said about screen is wrong. what pratikb thought (galaxy SL has delicate build, so it won't survive crash) might be wrong.
Cause I'm having Galaxy S and it has fallen more than 10 times, few of the times on concrete from waist height. Except for tiny smudges on back cover, there isn't any problem. The GLASS is intact - smooth and clean.

But Nexus S won't be like that, i guess, as it doesn't have GORILLA Glass that's present in DEFY, Galaxy SL and Galaxy S.

But I'm still recommending you Nexus S over DEFY and GALAXY SL. The phone is really great, but it is not worth the extra 4000 rupees....

If you want to stick to your budget, yet get a better phone (in terms of performance | not in terms of brand name and ruggedness), look for Spice mi- 410 @ 13,000 INR (after discount)

Ruggedness, Brand Name & Budget - Defy (14.5K)
Performance & Budget - Spice mi-410 (13K)
Performance & Brand Name - Nexus S (19K)
Ruggedness, Performance, Brand Name - Galaxy SL (19K) (Inferior in gaming performance)
Ruggedness, Performance, Brand Name - Galaxy S (21.5K)

Note: Defy's ruggedness is better than others and added along with dust proof (i dunno what that means) and water proof....

emmarbee said:
^ - WTF? Galaxy SL has SAMOLED? Since when? Even SL has super clear.

And IMHO, one can never find the difference between S-AMOLED and SuperClear unless seen side by side.
Nobody said Galaxy SL has S. AMOLED. Infact, I suggested not to go for it.

It is not as slim as its successor and has poor performance over Nexus S which falls in the same price band.

If you cannot stretch your budget to Nexus S, I would suggest getting a Captivate or Vibrant from States.

They will fit your budget and are awesome phone IMHO.

sorry i wasn't mentioning you... i was talking about what "dhruvrock2000"said. BTW, i have mentioned that in the edit.

viditkalra said:
Nobody said Galaxy SL has S. AMOLED. Infact, I suggested not to go for it.
It is not as slim as its successor and has poor performance over Nexus S which falls in the same price band.

If you cannot stretch your budget to Nexus S, I would suggest getting a Captivate or Vibrant from States.
They will fit your budget and are awesome phone IMHO.

One question from my side will you be able to use touch screen properly i mean when i am in field touch screen makes lot of problem for me because of sweat i can't use touch screen without cleaning it off . Now i am going back to classic mobile with physical keypad so do think before buying

nexus S is 18.5K on ebay with easily available 1K off coupons.... much better than SL - flash/16 gb internal memory/better GPU .....

the point is whether u can increase ur budget from 14K to 18.5k ? if yes go for nexus else defy or mi-410

First of all mention what your requirement is....

As in desktop it is really importnant these days to metion what ur primary and seconary usage would be because even if you buy an android an dont use it's features and apps then it is waste of money.

Also most of the androids give an average of 1 day battery life.

so please specify ur usage requirement then proceed accordingly.

Rugged + WaterProof+ CM7 + Defy = Excellent VFM phone @15K

Hardware and software wise going with Nexus S or Galaxy S would be a good thing. Since they have similar hardware. But Galaxy SL is totally different. But the one thing with these phones is that they have plastic body and sometimes it looks fragile for rough use. Even with proper handling they tend to get scratched easily.

"sg3707" is right. It all depends on your requirement too. Sometimes for normal usage, defy is better than anything else in the market. Not Only due to its ruggedness, it does have all the required functions to handle daily requirements.

killmastern3 said:
Go for Defy. IMO, it is the most rugged phone out there. Have dropped it several times, washed it, totally messed with its software and it is still alive and kicking :).
Thanks for the suggestion. To your point I am not that kind of person who mess with software at least for 1 year..

I don't have that much confident on me. Now still you recommend me?

comp@ddict said:
It all depends on what you really want, and your willingness to spend more if need be.
Sorry for not mentioning my needs ..

- Better video recording is must (not necessarily 720p HD) at least above average quality.

- Like to play HD games flawlessly

- Wants to have new look for my phone every day..themes etc

- Browsing is most important

- Have to survive at least couple of fall monthly because i know who i am:ashamed: --- If you suggest me case please mention how much it cost me

- Lot of apps installation

- No specific need for front facing camera

^ - Spice Mi-410 meets all your above requirements except for the monthly falls.
For withstanding falls, Galaxy S is the only one (also that meets above requirements).
Defy is okay with falls, but not sure about browsing experience and HD games.

Back