Is it really worthy to extend budget to get Nexus S or Galaxy SL

lak2004mi

Disciple
Urgent..What to choose..3 days to go..

Hi to all.. since i am planning to buy android mobile in the range of 15K (keeping defy in mind) i came across lot of suggestion in many post saying to extend a bit and go for Nexus s or Galaxy SL..

This is confusing much because i don't have problem in extending my budget but is it really worthy?! considering defy's performance & feature at that price..

Since i am in engineering field i may not have soft handling of device all the time..is Nexus s and Galaxy SL can handle me :huh:

emmarbee said:
^ - Spice Mi-410 meets all your above requirements except for the monthly falls.

For withstanding falls, Galaxy S is the only one (also that meets above requirements).

Defy is okay with falls, but not sure about browsing experience and HD games.
Games and browsing are pretty good with Defy. Have played Brothers in arms and some others and they were smooth and without lag.

@OP, Buy Defy, mess with the software just once ;) and install CM7 and it will meet all your above requirements with ease.

Note that Spice does not have Gorilla glass and would scratch easily if handled normally.

I own Defy and I'm extremely satisfied. But if you're willing to stretch the budget, nexus s is really worth it. Hacking Defy is fun but you won't find any need to tweak nexus s since the ui is so satisfactory :).

Also, if you want to play HD games (like you REALLY want to play them), then a phone with capacitive buttons sucks imo. It really gets in the way. From personal experience, gaming on my ipod touch is waaay better than on the defy.

Guys I lost my mind.. still not able to make any decision.

I approached several retailers & they were always against Motorola..stating that you will not get proper services in India. Not trusted brand etc... this keeps me away from defy.

I have only 3 days to decide... please help. Any other mobile has better performance at 13 to 17 K range.

Mobiles available in your price range 13-17k

1) HTC Desire Z - This would be a better fit for your requirement. Cost - 17k. Full Qwerty Keypad, 3.7 inch Super LCD screen, Second Gen Scorpion Processor 800 MHZ (easily overclockable to 1.8 ghz) and adrenos 205 gpu. It has faster and better performance. But check out Igyaan review because they had some problems with signals. But other than that it is good since it is HTC. 5MP camera/720p Video/LED Flash. Already news of Desire Z upgradable to 2.3 official from HTC.

2) Acer Liquid Metal - Cost - 17k. Now this has better hardware than Motorola defy. But from the looks and feel of it I disliked it instantly. While the metal on the back is good. The screen is bad. It has 3.6 inch capacitive screen. Hardware wise it has second gen scorpion processor 800 MHZ (capable of overclocking to 1.8 ghz) and adrenos 205 gpu. This same hardware is found in Desire Z. 5MP camera/720p Video/LED Flash. Do not know if upgradable to 2.3. Currently running 2.2

3) Huawei X5 - Cost - 15k. This also has same processor/hardware/camera/specs as Desire Z minus the qwerty keyboard. 3.7 inch screen. I believe this also comes with 2.2 froyo. But do not know if it is upgradable to 2.3

4) Motorola Defy - Cost - 14K. I am baffled as to why retailers are against motorola. Lots of members here are buying Defy and are happy with it. Given the ruggedness and also being water/dust proof. It will last you longer than any other models you buy in the market. Motorola service is ok and I am surprised as to why they say it is not trusted. Also with custom rom and overclocking you can easily tweak it to suit your need. Already custom modded to run 2.3

5) Spice Mi-410 - Now I was recommending this product before. But the past few days some problems have been propping up. Please check this forum. But for the 13k price and hardware it has. It is absolutely the best VFM. The other models with same hardware costs 25k or above (Arc/Desire HD/Desire S/Incredible S) Currently running 2.2 Froyo, but upgrade to 2.3 will be available from Spice at the end of the month or soon.

We have already discussed about Galaxy S, SL and Nexus S. Please do not choose Galaxy SL as it is not worth to spend 19k for a phone with such inferior hardware. It has same processor and gpu as Defy. While defy processor speed is 800 mhz, galaxy SL is 1 ghz. But that is it.

If you are still hesitant, then just go for Nexus S because of faster updates from google. Also since it has same hardware as Samsung Galaxy S but cheaper in price. Anyways good luck.

Increase the budget a bit and go for the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 ~ 19.8k from letsbuy after discounts.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

But if you cant extend your budget then the HTC Desire Z is a good choice since it has a 2nd gen snapdragon. 800MHz CPU and a Adreno 205 GPU. But this device also has a slide out qwerty.

If you can put up with a cheaper GPU then even the HTC Desire @ 15.5k is a decent choice.

HTC Desire Z A7272 | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com

HTC Desire | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com

lak2004mi said:
I approached several retailers & they were always against Motorola..stating that you will not get proper services in India. Not trusted brand etc... this keeps me away from defy.
That's one more reason to go with DEFY. If retailers are against it, it means they are getting less margin for DEFY (and Motorola in general). That means you are getting more of your money's worth.

Motorola Defy - 10/10 -- I wanted it right from the day I first heard about it. Yes all these other phones mentioned here are all flashy and what not but at the end of the day you want it to be reliable and survive the rigors of every day usage. I got my Motorola Defy last week and I flashed right when I opened the box straight to CM7. I am very clumsy with upgrading the firmware and what not but I haven't managed to ruin my phone yet. Any of these other phones are not as forgiving as the Defy should you choose to flash a custom rom and then screw up somewhere. My Motorola defy has fallen down a flight of stairs, was dropped by my gf from a height of over 1 meter, purposely immersed in water and there's not a scratch on it to tell you what all I have made it go through in the last 7 days! You can resort to using it as a weapon and then use it as a phone after you are done.

All these other fancy phones may work their charm on you with their looks but the Defy will be with you forever! (Happy Defy user! :))

Thanks for the suggestions. Apart from Nexus S is there any devise in this list will get update to next android version(Ice cream..)I know i am asking too much for this price range:crazy:

I love to update everything.. whether it useful or not... but I afraid to do in the way....rooting.. at least not before 1 yr...:ashamed:

Unless you are into rooting, which you mentioned you are not. Then other than Nexus S, there is no other devices in the list guaranteed to get ICS. So you are into getting update for ICS official way, then NEXUS S is your choice.

sunny27 said:
. I got my Motorola Defy last week and I flashed right when I opened the box straight to CM7. I am very clumsy with upgrading the firmware and what not but I haven't managed to ruin my phone yet. All these other fancy phones may work their charm on you with their looks but the Defy will be with you forever! (Happy Defy user! :))

Thanks for sharing your experience with defy. Is that device comes preloaded with 2.2 & with BLUR..??
Still green lens is in the market..? & what do you have? If i decides to go with defy i will purchase only from letsbuy with coupon... what lens i can expect from them...?

sorry for lot of (????).. thanks for the answers...

My phone came with the red lens and Android 2.1 (You can upgrade to 2.2 from Motorola's Service center or at home using the software update tool via the internet). I don't think the Moto Blur version is sold in India (which I think is a good move on Motorola India's Part!) Almost all the phones available in the market now should have red lens. Letsbuy phones should have red lens as well.

^^ Actually one of the member who bought Defy recently had Green Lens. So there are still phones with green lens are lurking around in Market. I guess you are right that Letsbuy phones seem to have red lens.

Decided to go for Nexus S... comments are welcome.

Going to place order today evening(letsbuy)

One doubt before buying.. i know nexus s don't have gorilla glass, but is that display is scratch resistant to withstand normal usage?

vinaycm said:
Better use a screenguard.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW Nexus S is out of stock in letsbuy..

I didn't noticed before.:ashamed:

Now this is again confused me lot.. i don't know what to do now wait for stock to arrive or change my nexus decision.

lak2004mi said:
Decided to go for Nexus S... comments are welcome.

Going to place order today evening(letsbuy)

One doubt before buying.. i know nexus s don't have gorilla glass, but is that display is scratch resistant to withstand normal usage?

Not to instil any fear in you, but if the nexus s you are getting is Samsung Google Nexus S I9023, then it might MIGHT have 256MB RAM than the 512 MB on the Super AMOLED version

Can users of Nexus S please confirm this?

Back