Is it really worthy to extend budget to get Nexus S or Galaxy SL

lak2004mi

Disciple
Urgent..What to choose..3 days to go..

Hi to all.. since i am planning to buy android mobile in the range of 15K (keeping defy in mind) i came across lot of suggestion in many post saying to extend a bit and go for Nexus s or Galaxy SL..

This is confusing much because i don't have problem in extending my budget but is it really worthy?! considering defy's performance & feature at that price..

Since i am in engineering field i may not have soft handling of device all the time..is Nexus s and Galaxy SL can handle me :huh:

Nope I do not think I9023 has only 256mb RAM.

Source: Helped my cousin buy one through my friend who is working in Samsung Labs in Bangalore. Only difference I can think of between SAmoled and SLCD is the screen.

It doesn't make sense for Samsung to include the same Cortex A8 hummingbird processor and cut the RAM to 256mb. It just does not make sense. They tried to make SLCD because of SAmoled shortage or possibly to make cheaper version for people to buy.

@Lak2004mi: Don't get confused. Trust me, sometimes we all have gone through this phase. With current options it is always confusing and makes us think if we are betting our money on wrong product. One of the member in this forum recently bought a Nexus S from Flipkart. He was asking for suggestions between Galaxy S and Nexus S. So try Flipkart. Also one piece of advice, since Nexus S has plastic body please buy a body gel case or body skin because the body can get scratched quickly even upon careful usage. Also do not remove the front cover because that itself acts as an excellent screen protector. Or you can put a better one. Also do not remove the back cover until you find a good case or protection. When I got my SAmoled Nexus S back plate scratched and went to Samsung service for replacement, it cost 500 rs. Why? Because NFC Chip is on the back panel. Nexus S has such a beautiful design and does not look good when scratched :)

aradhakr84 said:
@Lak2004mi: Don't get confused. Trust me, sometimes we all have gone through this phase. With current options it is always confusing and makes us think if we are betting our money on wrong product. One of the member in this forum recently bought a Nexus S from Flipkart. He was asking for suggestions between Galaxy S and Nexus S. So try Flipkart. Also one piece of advice, since Nexus S has plastic body please buy a body gel case or body skin because the body can get scratched quickly even upon careful usage. Also do not remove the front cover because that itself acts as an excellent screen protector. Or you can put a better one. Also do not remove the back cover until you find a good case or protection. When I got my SAmoled Nexus S back plate scratched and went to Samsung service for replacement, it cost 500 rs. Why? Because NFC Chip is on the back panel. Nexus S has such a beautiful design and does not look good when scratched :)
Thanks.. I will wait till this Saturday.. Hope stock will arrive at letsbuy. Since i am planning to use discount coupon my preference goes to letsbuy over flipkart.

Any idea it normally takes for stock to arrive??:gap:

Honestly it is based on your preference. SLCD has accurate whites and light colors whereas SAmoled has accurate blacks and dark colors. It depends on how you like it. My cousin has super lcd nexus s version and I have super amoled nexus s version. He prefers super lcd while i absolutely love super amoled :)

Also know this, some people feel super amoled to have over saturated colors, hence dark accurate colors.

Just to have alternate choice,...If nexus s not available for long time( No response from letsbuy ) What will be your suggestion between these mobile Defy, Desire & Salsa.

I don't want to waste much time....:no:

Then I would suggest Galaxy S as it can be bought for the same price of 19870 from Letsbuy. Why? Because of similar hardware as Nexus S and is currently updated to 2.3.4.

If between Defy, Salsa and Desire. I would choose Salsa first because it has 2nd generation MSM 7230 processor with Adrenos 205 gpu. The processor, even though rated at 800 MHz can be overclocked to more than 1.5 ghz. Even if you are not into overclocking, it is fast for your needs. Only cons are that it has 3.4 inch screen which will be considered small by some people. Hardware wise it is faster than Desire and Defy. Also has gorilla glass. Excellent screen and BIGGEST SELLING POINT IS FRONT CAMERA. So impressive model from HTC. You will not go wrong with this also.

I would recommend Defy only if you are into modding because you can buy that for 14.5 k and mod it to get the 2.3.3 update and also 720p recording. Else just go with Galaxy S or Nexus S because these two will have tremendous experience right out of the box. Or Salsa which will also give better user experience out the box.

Desire - Grossly outdated with 1st generation processor which will limit you in games or other gpu intensive tasks

So to summarize - Galaxy S = Nexus S > HTC Salsa > Defy > Desire.

Only recommending Galaxy and Nexus S first because of screen size and also better gpu for gaming.

EDIT:

I AM SORRY FOR THIS POST AS THERE IS SOME MISINFORMATION. IT SEEMS SALSA ONLY HAS MSM7227T PROCESSOR WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE ADRENOS 205 AS GPU. SO I RETRACT MY STATEMENT STATING THAT SALSA IS NOT A BETTER OPTION THAN DEFY. IN THIS CASE, DEFY WOULD BE BETTER THAN SALSA AND DESIRE. I MAY ALSO BE WRONG ON THIS BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE DIFFERENT SPECS AROUND THE INTERNET.

Nexus S is of course smoother because of vanilla android. But it is missing some key features that might change people's mind to go with Galaxy S. Me personally I like both of them. Features missing in Nexus S - No 720p video recording, No FM Radio and also no dedicated video player. You can only access videos through gallery or install any third party video app. Not that it is a big deal, since there are lots of video apps in the market ;)

aradhakr84 said:
Then I would suggest Galaxy S as it can be bought for the same price of 19870 from Letsbuy. Why? Because of similar hardware as Nexus S and is currently updated to 2.3.4.

If between Defy, Salsa and Desire. I would choose Salsa first because it has 2nd generation MSM 7230 processor with Adrenos 205 gpu. The processor, even though rated at 800 MHz can be overclocked to more than 1.5 ghz. Even if you are not into overclocking, it is fast for your needs. Only cons are that it has 3.4 inch screen which will be considered small by some people. Hardware wise it is faster than Desire and Defy. Also has gorilla glass. Excellent screen and BIGGEST SELLING POINT IS FRONT CAMERA. So impressive model from HTC. You will not go wrong with this also.

I would recommend Defy only if you are into modding because you can buy that for 14.5 k and mod it to get the 2.3.3 update and also 720p recording. Else just go with Galaxy S or Nexus S because these two will have tremendous experience right out of the box. Or Salsa which will also give better user experience out the box.

Desire - Grossly outdated with 1st generation processor which will limit you in games or other gpu intensive tasks

Only recommending Galaxy and Nexus S first because of screen size and also better gpu for gaming.

Thanks.. Just confirming Salsa is better than defy in hardware( CPU, GPU) ..ok... Only thing 3.4" screen is down side for me.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

aradhakr84 said:

Thanks.. Just confirming Salsa is better than defy in hardware( CPU, GPU) ..ok... Only thing 3.4" screen is down side for me.

^^^ Thank you for letting us know about the deal. That is an excellent deal for Nexus S given that it has free shipping and also brand new with 1 year warranty. Also the 7 day return is not bad either. It is about the same price as HTC Salsa. For that price, Nexus S is worth to buy given that it will get priority updates from Google for its life cycle of 18 months which is from December 2010 to June 2012.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Lak2004mi:

It seems SALSA only has MSM7227T Processor Which is Impossible to have Adrenos 205 as GPU. Only Adrenos 200 GPU is possible with MSM7227T processor. So I correct my statement by stating that SALSA is not a better option than DEFY. In this case, DEFY would be better than SALSA AND DESIRE. I may also be wrong on this. In this case your choices should be

Galaxy S = Nexus S > Defy > Desire > Salsa

Desire has 1 ghz processor as opposed to Salsa's 800 MHz 1st gen snapdragon processor.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Hi all.. concluded and ordered my defy at letsbuy @ 8pm

So as per their saying at website it will reach me 2 to 4 working days.. location Surat.

Hoping to get it by Sunday... I am assuming letsbuy will ship my defy tomorrow by som xyz shipper and the shipper don't have holidays in weekend (Saturday..Raksha Bandhan & Sunday)

This weekend has additional 2 days(Sat & Mon) leave....Any idea how long this will take for my situation ...???

lak2004mi said:
Hi all.. concluded and ordered my defy at letsbuy @ 8pm

So as per their saying at website it will reach me 2 to 4 working days.. location Surat.

Hoping to get it by Sunday... I am assuming letsbuy will ship my defy tomorrow by som xyz shipper and the shipper don't have holidays in weekend (Saturday..Raksha Bandhan & Sunday)

This weekend has additional 2 days(Sat & Mon) leave....Any idea how long this will take for my situation ...???

Congratulations! I was under the impression that u were going to get a Nexus S. But Defy is an awesome buy. Dont forget to update us about the performance & ur opinion!

Nexus S. End of discussion.

Gets any Android update before any other handset in the market. Build is way better than that of the Galaxy S. You get a Camera Flash.

IT does support 720p recording with a modded camera.

I still dont understand why people are even considering any other devices over the Nexus S , specially for the price it retails at.

Also the Cortex A8 based -Hummingbird / SGX540 combo is by far the most powerful single core Soc, on the market.

Also the Audio quality on the Cortex based devices is miles ahead compared to that on the Qualcomm based ones.

Same goes for the Video decoding capabilities. And this is from first hand experience.

So honestly, fix a budget first, if you can stretch it beyond the 20k mark, then wait for a bit and get the Optimus 2x or the Atrix. Or even the Galaxy SII.

Else the Nexus S, hands down.

Oh and did anyone here even consider the amount of internal memory available for installing apps?

Nexus S : Roughly 1-1.2 GB (After all the System stuff)

Galaxy S : Around 1.2-1.5 GB (Depending on the ROM)

HTC Salsa : Specs state 512 MB ROM. I can bet on it that after all the system stuff, max available memory is going to be around 300 MB MAX! (Im being very generous and optimistic here)

Motorola Defy : Under 1 GB (Again depending on the ROM)

Also the Galaxy S and the Nexus S are same down the basic hardware only. But the Nexus S, is way better overall. NFC capabilities, and the much better build being the major highlights.

PS: I have used the following phones (And turned them inside out) : Google Nexus One -> Motorola Milestone -> Samsung Wave/Samsung Spica (Backup phone) -> HTC Desire Z / G2 -> Samsung Galaxy S -> Nexus S -> Samsung Vibrant -> T-Mobile G2x (Current Phone) / Optimus 2x

And mom is using a Motorola Defy, Sister the Galaxy S. Dad is on the Sony Ericsson Arc. (Crappiest Phone ever)

aradhakr84 said:
How about this website in ebay. It has Nexus S for 18.9 k plus free shipping and brand new with 1 year warranty. It was referred by "MaRKiV" in this thread. If you did not already see it:

NEW SAMSUNG GOOGLE NEXUS S i9023 16GB ANDROID2.3 Mobile | eBay

Even I want to buy a Nexus S, but no stock in LB or Flipkart, local shops quote the fone at 27k, which is atrocious... Dont know how online retailers can give it 9-10K cheaper?

I am just thinking if I should go ahead and book one from the ebay link or wait for the sites to restock it. 12 peices have been sold till now from the ebay shop. Would it be a genuinely good deal or not, I am unable to decide..

I know. Went to sammy store to check the price for my cousin who bought one recently. They said 28k. I laughed and showed them the online price, their response was "Go there and buy it" :( I thought they would try to match it like in US. But given the cold shoulder. Maybe price matching is not possible in India.

Also important thing is when I hooked my cousin a discounted Nexus S using my friend's employee information (He works in Samsung Labs as Android Tester in Media) The price he got was 19,540. That was few weeks ago. So 18,990 seems to be a great price and a good deal since that is the same price Samsung employees buy the phone for.

Back