Is it worth buying a tablet ?

Desktop + Netbook (Good ones like HP DM1Z)+ a good smartphone is the best combination. Tablet can only be used for time pass and some web browsing. For real work you will need good input peripherals like a keyboard and preferably a mouse.

Why should we compare 30K tablets ?

Think about a fair priced tablet such as Ainol NOVO 7 advanced at 140 USD.

You for 7K, you can

1. read books

2. Browse

3. Watch movies on tab and on TV

4. Kids can play games

and so on.

So isn't it value for money ?

It is available on ebay.in for around 13K, I think the 140$ tag comes with a $60 S&H charge so adding customs, etc, 13K sounds like a fair price for the Ainol Novo 7 Advanced. I am also thinking of getting myself one, the only thing is that Samsung has dropped the price of the Galaxy Tab P1010 to about 14-15K on ebay and other sites. So I am confused between Ainol Advanced 7, Gtab P1010 and Viewsonic gtablet(for around 20K but with 10.1inch display and dualcore Tegra 2).

It is available on ebay.in for around 13K, I think the 140$ tag comes with a $60 S&H charge so adding customs, etc, 13K sounds like a fair price for the Ainol Novo 7 Advanced. I am also thinking of getting myself one, the only thing is that Samsung has dropped the price of the Galaxy Tab P1010 to about 14-15K on ebay and other sites. So I am confused between Ainol Advanced 7, Gtab P1010 and Viewsonic gtablet(for around 20K but with 10.1inch display and dualcore Tegra 2).

Check this link: http://www.pandawill.com/ainol-novo-7-elf-android-40-tablet-pc-hd-screen-7-inch-8gb-1gb-ram-camera-hdmi-p55274.html

And add customs to it.

^^ What you saying is your own prespective and one can't generalise it...

For some smartphone is waste of money as phone is just for making calls

For some HDTV is waste of money any TV will do as it is meant for entertainment

and i can go on...

Tablet at the end of the day comes to one's own personal choice..

I am sure in a year or two, Table will be a required commodity like a smartphone/laptop..

Check this link: http://www.pandawill...dmi-p55274.html

And add customs to it.
Thanks for the link, this one is new I guess, I hadnt read about the "Elf" Tablet before. On Ebay the "Basic", "Paladin"(both MIPS) and "Advanced"(ARM Allwinner) are listed.

Add shipping (40$) and customs to it and it would be closer to what the Samsung Tab is being sold at.

Anyone here who has used this tablet or the Viewsonic gtablet? Howz the gaming performance?

@Lord Nemessis - A tablet can replace your laptop, if you the made the right choice. I have seen that most of the people don't even know what all features they want in their tablet, because they just want to buy it and join that so-called techno lovers community. It's important to understand what all things are crucial in a tablet because these features can upgrade or degrade the performance of the device. I have recently read an interesting posts on things one should consider before buying a tablet and I hope you guys will agree to most of it - http://india-mobilewatch.blogspot.com/2012/01/buying-tablet-here-are-few-things-to.html

Seriously speaking I was intent on buying a Moto Photon when I got the Transforme rinstead and to speak the truth I find it quite useful.I would say for media consumption a tablet is way better than a phone.Try reading ebooks or graphic novels on a tablet and you will know what I mean.

I think phone, tablet and laptop have their own peculiar advantages and disadvantages. I have all of them and use them for different purposes. Tablets may be good for consumption such as reading ebooks, listening to music, watching movies, browsing net and email but when it comes to creating files, converting files into different formats, downloading heavy files from torrents, opening dozens of tabs, laptop is the way to go.

^ my ipad 2 handles quite a few tabs,i create files and presentations as well but i do not download torrents[i can but prefer not to]

what the tablet is for a particular person totally depends on what the particular person does with his laptop.does he browse,make presentations,social network,consume media and not do top of the line productivity stuff then the tablet is better than a laptop for all this tasks.

this is the main reason i have stopped taking my macbook pro with me now.it does all the tasks i was basically doing with my macbook pro.

it all depends on a person and what characterises a computer for him.

Thanks for the link, this one is new I guess, I hadnt read about the "Elf" Tablet before. On Ebay the "Basic", "Paladin"(both MIPS) and "Advanced"(ARM Allwinner) are listed.

Add shipping (40$) and customs to it and it would be closer to what the Samsung Tab is being sold at.

Anyone here who has used this tablet or the Viewsonic gtablet? Howz the gaming performance?

Actually, shipping is free when you buy from Pandawill if you select regular mail. However, just to be safe use Paypal only.

Now customs..would be based on your luck. I have heard that sometime Pandawill marks single shipments as gifts and you get it with no duty. Sometime, it can go up to 50%.

All the best

Actually, shipping is free when you buy from Pandawill if you select regular mail. However, just to be safe use Paypal only. Now customs..would be based on your luck. I have heard that sometime Pandawill marks single shipments as gifts and you get it with no duty. Sometime, it can go up to 50%. All the best

Yes I saw the "Free shipping" banner, but shipping by regular mail basically means no tracking and is too risky. Hopefully some ebay dealer gets a bunch of them and puts them up for sale.

^ my ipad 2 handles quite a few tabs,i create files and presentations as well but i do not download torrents[i can but prefer not to]

what the tablet is for a particular person totally depends on what the particular person does with his laptop.does he browse,make presentations,social network,consume media and not do top of the line productivity stuff then the tablet is better than a laptop for all this tasks.

If you are consulting 10 different sources for making a presentation with PDFs and browser tabs open, do you still do that on a tablet.

I think tablets will exist but more in the form of the Asus transformer form factor. In fact I think one day we will just dock our smart phones into whatever device we want to work/play on and continue from where we left off.

If you are consulting 10 different sources for making a presentation with PDFs and browser tabs open, do you still do that on a tablet.

I think tablets will exist but more in the form of the Asus transformer form factor. In fact I think one day we will just dock our smart phones into whatever device we want to work/play on and continue from where we left off.

yes i still do it and you know what? the multitasking is faster than my mac and its an absolute delight to be able to do it so interactively.

i cannot see tablets existing based on the asus transformer's form factor at all.if you need propriety to complete your tablet then its not a tablet to begin with.

sure its good to have something between in a laptop and a tablet but i dont think for one second that all tablets and smartphones will based on proprieties to make them complete and functional.

You have an ipad right?

this is from apples own site of ipad2. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

System Requirements
  • Apple ID (required for some features)
  • Internet access[sup]5[/sup]
  • Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
    • Mac: OS X v10.5.8 or later
    • PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
    • iTunes 10.5 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

In the Box

• iPad
  • Dock Connector to USB Cable
  • 10W USB Power Adapter
  • Documentation

dock connector is propriety, 10w usb cable is propriety. itunes is propriety. Infact apple should charge for itunes and give the electronics free.

Summary

Using iTunes 9.1 or later, you can copy files between your computer and apps on your iOS device that support File Sharing (for example, Pages for iPad supports File Sharing, so you can create a document in Pages on your iPad, then copy it to your Mac so you can open it in Pages for Mac OS X). This article explains how to copy files between your computer and your iOS device using File Sharing.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4094#

^^

Eh,the dock connector and everything does come free with the ipad itself.you know hat right?

apple doesnt charge anything and even itunes is free.main point is,none of these things are needed to turn on or function your ipad.

Your point was that i would need a propriety to make my ipad 2 function.well,it does not.i can sync itunes without needing a usb cable through wifi sync.

I dont think you understood what i said in my earlier post.it meant if a tablet needed a laptop dock(which you have to pay around 100$) to buy for the transformer and that in itself is its main attraction,then it loses the portable and intuitiveness of a tablet.

@Vantheman5211: you do realise that a thing can be proprietary and free at the same time, right?

But I will concede that I have never tried working on a tablet, so maybe your point is right. But I just can't imagine a virtual keyboard being more comfortable than a physical one.

For me- Tablet is for content consumption only

Laptop- For both Content creation and consumption

Back