Is LastPass safe?

sauravghosh

Adept
As the title asks. I have all passwords saved there, including my banking ones as well. Are these safe? I cannot even imagine writing down these stuffs, it's just way too many.

bssunilreddy

Veteran
Don't ever use any 3rd party applications to save bank passwords or banking details at all, never. Period.

You can use Chrome to save any tech forums or non banking sites passwords to easily login without typing them every time.

cisco_tech

Staff member
Never ever save banking or any important login credentials in clouds or even in browser password manager. Your best storage is your own memory.

techno_funky

Adept
Can you share hack stories of Lastpass please as I was short listing Lastpass and Onepass to try out?

sauravghosh

Adept
Thanks all for your inputs. I've decided to remove all the banking passwords from Lastpass and note them down manually. Just contemplating it is giving me a depression but I'll do it, may take indefinite time. Main problem will arise when I'll be needing to change the password as I'll for sure forget to note down the new pass on the moment.

calvin1719

Disciple
It's far, far more likely that the security of any of your accounts would be compromised by shitty security practices on the provider's side, like passwords in plain-text or weak encryption, unsecured DB instances left open, unsecured S3 buckets with sensitive data (all of which have dozens of examples over the past few years) than by a breach of the infrastructure of a password manager service.

I've been using lastpass for a few years now, been thinking about switching to Keepass, but not because of any security concerns I have.

remove all the banking passwords from Lastpass and note them down manually.

That's just not a good idea. Remove them from lastpass if you feel more comfortable with that I guess, but noting them down isn't wise.