is mcafee virusscan ok?

jith77

Adept
another noob question to annoy u all:bleh: .....am using mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0...is it good enough or should i switch to smething else( free is the key word here)

Mcafee Enterprise 8.0 edition is quite good for virus scanning if it is updated till latest definations.

If you something free, then look out for latest Avast!

I had Trend Micro Virus Scan 2005 . AVG detected one harmless virus from the system :eek: . so uninstalled Trend Micro 2007 . either NOD32 or AVG these days ... I know I know .. they are average but so what? :p

Its definitely not ok. Its definitely not among the top 5.
I would rather go for Avira AntiVir Classic which is free. It has a much much better detection rate. If you want free you can also go for AOL Active Virus Shield. Or, go for Kaspersky if you can afford it. AOL AVS doesnt have web traffic scanning, but uses Kaspersky engine, so has a good detection rate.

Also, dont get blown away by AVG and Avast fans. Check out the tests (at Av Comparitives and also Virus.gr). AntiVir outperforms both of those.
Nod32 has a weak database and its detection rate is lower than Kaspersky and Antivir.

thnx guys:hap2: ......checked out some tests as adviced......looks like its better to switch something better...think i can lay my hands on norton 2007; which might be available with someone i know

norton 2007 is good but i geuss sophos antivirus is also nice to give it a hand to hand,basically it depends on definations with which the antivirus searches for viruses in your pc if the virus you have got in your pc and corresponding defination in your antivirus you would only then be able to remove the virus perhaps i prefer sophos antivirus becuz nod32 doesnt has that much of definations and kaspersky is expensive to buy and run too,avast is nice very good indeed

Also you can run both avast as well as norton because if you are looking for antivirus suit then avast is free as it doesnt a shit of memory and you can hope that norton does the same too hehehe

Sophos sucks. In a now-removed documentary of Sophos' performance at AV-comparatives, it scored below the Standard required to be part of the regular testing at AV-comparatives. It was removed due to complaints from Sophos about it.

Trust me, detection rates are not everything. Anything that scores above 90% in tests will give decent protection. If you are the type of guy to go around suspicious sites, THEN you need an AV that gets 95% or better. :)

removed mcafee and added avira antivir classic...so now using antivir and windows defender...should i add anything more for security??

jith77 said:
removed mcafee and added avira antivir classic...so now using antivir and windows defender...should i add anything more for security??

If you can afford it use Spyware Doctor. But dont enable the real time scanning for multiple software.

bottle said:
i think using more than one anti virus software at a time is not recommended

Right. Usually a good antivirus software recognizes that another antivirus program is installed if it exists on the computer. If not recognized, the multiple background scanning system will cause huge performance decrease. If still needed, they can always be installed with one of the antivirus real time scan turned off and making sure that the other integrating modules like email etc does not conflict with each other. I think 1 antispyware program, 1 antivirus program and 1 firewall should be good enough security for normal users.

Here's the reason why multiple AV programs are not recommended:

1) Conflicts of real-time drivers, i.e. each driver will fight for getting first access to the file that needs to be scanned

2) Boot up time conflicts

3) Even when running a full system scan from one AV, there is a possibility the real time guard of the other AV will intercept these calls and scan the files that are being scanned by the on-demand scanner before the on-demand scanner actually scans it. This leads to scanning delay as well as crashes. Most real-time guards are now configured to exclude most on-demand scanners from reputed companies, but still, there could be a possible delay if say a new version was released etc. :D

So you see, its not just a problem of resources, it will cause problems with virus detection, disinfection, removal and even scanning. :)

Yeap and thats why i recommended sophos perhaps , but what i liked about Sophos is that it will be very less on memory and takes around half an hour to scan, it is among the antivirus which looks in all files from system information files to windows to hidden to not accessable files,

If you can afford Spyware doctor then dont think of anything else just go for it lol.

Back