Is plugging a surge protector into a UPS too risky?

Greyfalcon

Disciple
Hi

I have an APC X600C-IN UPS which only has 3 outlets at the back. I can use one of them for my CPU and one for the monitor. The last one I can use for my Belkin surge protector onto which I can plug my modem, WiFi router and speakers. So this will ensure that even if the power goes, my Modem and WiFi router will be still running for quite some time.

But the APC FAQs page says that plugging the surge protector to the UPS can cause it to overload the UPS and even hinder proper distribution of power an cause reboots. I'll post the link to that page:-

So what are my options here? Will it really not be okay if I plug in the surge protector to the UPS outlet even if it only has a router and speakers attached to it? Or should I have just bought a more expensive UPS with more outlets?
The page mentions that its okay to use Power Distribution Units with the UPS instead but I'm not sure what they are and on google they look like something that should be fitted into or mounted on walls. I have used cheaper (150-200rs) off-brand "surge protectors" before just to plug in multiple devices but they killed my modem adapter twice.

Should I risk it? Or should i just use the 3rd UPS outlet for the modem only, which will keep me online while playing a game but will make me stay without wifi whenever im off the pc and power cuts off?

Hi

I have an APC X600C-IN UPS which only has 3 outlets at the back. I can use one of them for my CPU and one for the monitor. The last one I can use for my Belkin surge protector onto which I can plug my modem, WiFi router and speakers. So this will ensure that even if the power goes, my Modem and WiFi router will be still running for quite some time.

But the APC FAQs page says that plugging the surge protector to the UPS can cause it to overload the UPS and even hinder proper distribution of power an cause reboots. I'll post the link to that page:-

So what are my options here? Will it really not be okay if I plug in the surge protector to the UPS outlet even if it only has a router and speakers attached to it? Or should I have just bought a more expensive UPS with more outlets?
The page mentions that its okay to use Power Distribution Units with the UPS instead but I'm not sure what they are and on google they look like something that should be fitted into or mounted on walls. I have used cheaper (150-200rs) off-brand "surge protectors" before just to plug in multiple devices but they killed my modem adapter twice.

Should I risk it? Or should i just use the 3rd UPS outlet for the modem only, which will keep me online while playing a game but will make me stay without wifi whenever im off the pc and power cuts off?

The belkin you have is most probably just a power strip with minor circuitry, not a real surge protector. It should work just fine plugged into the back of the UPS, especially with such a small load.

Share the model number of the belkin.

A PDU is just a fancy extension box with multiple sockets.

Why not plug the surge protector to the UPS instead? This is how it is to be used in first place..

Well that's what the whole post is about :D
I think writing too much has made it a little confusing.
The APC website says that plugging the surge protector into the UPS can overload the UPS.
Post automatically merged:

The belkin you have is most probably just a power strip with minor circuitry, not a real surge protector. It should work just fine plugged into the back of the UPS, especially with such a small load.

Share the model number of the belkin.

A PDU is just a fancy extension box with multiple sockets.

This is the one I have. Are you sure its just a power strip masquerading as a surge protector? I read somewhere that Belkin surge protectors were pretty good

I dont think so. Right now not using any UPS but used APC 1500 usb model for few yrs in area prone to very frequent powercuts and no issues faced. Just to make sure if on one outlet behind the UPS you are connecting the surge with already got devices connected to it, just don't add more devices behind the UPS outlets. This will help balance the load. I also used to monitor the usage in their software which used to give a brief idea.
What people does it use the ups outlets as an extension box and then blame the product.

This is the one I have. Are you sure its just a power strip masquerading as a surge protector? I read somewhere that Belkin surge protectors were pretty good

This is a very basic model, it probably doesn't even have a basic MOV. Shouldn't be an issue.

"Many power strips have basic surge protection built in; these are typically clearly labeled as such. However, in unregulated countries there are power strips labelled as "surge" or "spike" protectors that only have a capacitor or RFI circuit (or nothing) that do not provide true (or any) spike protection."

Tom's has done some very detailed teardowns and testing of power strip. Good read even just for the heck of it.

@adder please chip in

You should be fine with connecting a surge protector, I have been doing so since a decade on my APC smart UPS. Infact up until last year the Smart UPS was powering the entire house(minus heating circuit or heavy appliance), now I have a 5kva inverter.

Generally even your PSU will have a tiny mov inside. Most cheap surge protectors will just have one cheap mov inside and they will not have any RFI filtering. If you still want to connect more devices and go by what APC says, you can always use a externsion box which just as switches and socket, they mostly have better switches and sockets vs a surge protector which have those mult pin socket, which causes poor contact, creating arc.

You should be fine with connecting a surge protector, I have been doing so since a decade on my APC smart UPS. Infact up until last year the Smart UPS was powering the entire house(minus heating circuit or heavy appliance), now I have a 5kva inverter.

Generally even your PSU will have a tiny mov inside. Most cheap surge protectors will just have one cheap mov inside and they will not have any RFI filtering

Which smartups were you using (for the house) and with what batteries? and why (before the inverter)?

Which smartups were you using (for the house) and with what batteries? and why (before the inverter)?
I have two identical SUA1000UXI it was powered by 2x exide EL40, which are 40ah tubular batteries with 5 year full replacement warranty, the batteries lasted 9 years, its now powered by a SMF 20AH battery and its now only powering my pc(only because of its super fast switching). While the larger inverter powers everything else.
At the time in 2010, I didn't want to get a inverter which doesn't have AVR and also inverters back then had slow switching time. APC smart UPS 1000UXI allowed me to connect external batteries, built like a tank and was rated at 800watt load vs a APC 1000va inverter rated at only 600watt load.

I have two identical SUA1000UXI it was powered by 2x exide EL40, which are 40ah tubular batteries with 5 year full replacement warranty, the batteries lasted 9 years, its now powered by a SMF 20AH battery and its now only powering my pc(only because of its super fast switching). While the larger inverter powers everything else.
At the time in 2010, I didn't want to get a inverter which doesn't have AVR and also inverters back then had slow switching time. APC smart UPS 1000UXI allowed me to connect external batteries, built like a tank and was rated at 800watt load vs a APC 1000va inverter rated at only 600watt load.

The SUA1000UXI is line-int not online right? I can understand the AVR bit, but I had a su-kam falcon (650 i think) around that time (bought 2008-10-ish) till 2014 or 15, and the switching was fast enough not to reboot my corsair CX400. Had a su-kam 150Ah non tubular which lasted 4-5 years. For the total low cost of the system it was an awesome deal.

But yeah 800W is impressive.

This is a very basic model, it probably doesn't even have a basic MOV. Shouldn't be an issue.

"Many power strips have basic surge protection built in; these are typically clearly labeled as such. However, in unregulated countries there are power strips labelled as "surge" or "spike" protectors that only have a capacitor or RFI circuit (or nothing) that do not provide true (or any) spike protection."

Tom's has done some very detailed teardowns and testing of power strip. Good read even just for the heck of it.

@adder please chip in

Wow! Those were really interesting articles. Quite entertaining at times too :D

Generally even your PSU will have a tiny mov inside. Most cheap surge protectors will just have one cheap mov inside and they will not have any RFI filtering. If you still want to connect more devices and go by what APC says, you can always use a externsion box which just as switches and socket, they mostly have better switches and sockets vs a surge protector which have those mult pin socket, which causes poor contact, creating arc.

You're right. Extension boxes DO have better sockets. I have to reseat the plugs in the surge protector anytime my cats walk by it to stop the arcing and the buzzing sounds. But since everyone including you has said that the one i use wont cause any problems with the UPS, I'll just use that so that i wont feel like i wasted my money. :p

Thanks to everyone who replied for helping me out with this:)

I've either had very good luck or my picky-ness unconsciously makes me choose good ones, but I've always had good power strips. I have an old zebronics one which is basic but has perfect contacts. And recently bought a GM one which is incredibly good quality, in fact the box and packaging is even better quality than the contents! Definitely intended for export i think.

This one. I bought it from a retail store for about 500 bucks but dmart had it for 299. Total steal

I've either had very good luck or my picky-ness unconsciously makes me choose good ones, but I've always had good power strips. I have an old zebronics one which is basic but has perfect contacts. And recently bought a GM one which is incredibly good quality, in fact the box and packaging is even better quality than the contents! Definitely intended for export i think.

This one. I bought it from a retail store for about 500 bucks but dmart had it for 299. Total steal
Really?! I've used 3 power strips/surge protectors so far in my life and my speaker plug, modem, router adapters always fit very loosely in every one of them. But that's more due to the thin pins on the plugs and not because of the strips being of poor quality or anything.

Oh yeah! I think I saw one of these conversion plugs fitted onto the old speaker plugs a long time ago when i was a kid. God knows where that thing went.
Thanks for reminding me of this. Its pretty irritating when the speaker keeps losing power and i have to keep fiddling with plug to get it to work again.
Might buy a couple. Or....might call it a jugaad and look away. After all I'm an Indian.

https://www.dmart.in/gm-41-power-strip

LOL, it's 4 sockets controlled by a master switch and everyone's calling it a 4+1 :banghead:

@Greyfalcon It just occurred to me, if all you want is to plug 2 or 3 devices into the ups and want to avoid any potential issues with the surge protection circuitry, you can skip the power strip and use a multi-plug like these:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, it's 4 sockets controlled by a master switch and everyone's calling it a 4+1 :banghead:

@Greyfalcon It just occurred to me, if all you want is to plug 2 or 3 devices into the ups and want to avoid any potential issues with the surge protection circuitry, you can skip the power strip and use a multi-plug like these:

Yes I can use those too i guess. But the thing with the power stip is the ease of acces it offers. I can just bend down to plug or unplug anything i want on the neatly laud out sockets.

I mean, i dont keep removing plugs from it all the time but it's still better then trying to reach the back of the UPS behind the desk anytime i wanted to and fighting with a tentacle monster.

I have used a UPS on an inverter line. I have used this UPS to connect to a desktop system. Is it safe for the UPS since it is on an inverter line. Earlier I had used the desktop system in the inverter line itself but due to fluctuation the system used to reboot once in a while. I have connected the UPS now to the inverter line and the system does not reboot now when there is fluctuation but not sure if it is safe to connect the UPS to inverter line and will that drain out the battery in the UPS soon.

Back