Is the new Mi 55 inch QLED worth buying?

XproXd

Disciple
As the title suggests I am planning on buying 55 inch tv and qled at this price seems to be a really good deal.
But I am a bit concerned about the panel quality. Can someone share their thought?

As the title suggests I am planning on buying 55 inch tv and qled at this price seems to be a really good deal.
But I am a bit concerned about the panel quality. Can someone share their thought?
Mi tv have decent panel. There are a few reviews on YouTube. Good vfm

I have a 49" version. The brightness issue is non existent. Some have fixed their setting my turning off adaptive brightness. But its more than sufficient for me even with that setting on and backlight at 60-80%

Wait for reviews. They have conveniently ignored some key specs - QLED TVs are known for their brightness, yet they don't mention typical or peak brightness. What's the point of HDMI 2.1 if the panel is 60 Hz? HDMI 2.0b had eARC and ALLM is a pointless feature, one can choose mode with press of a button.

Wait for reviews. They have conveniently ignored some key specs - QLED TVs are known for their brightness, yet they don't mention typical or peak brightness. What's the point of HDMI 2.1 if the panel is 60 Hz? HDMI 2.0b had eARC and ALLM is a pointless feature, one can choose mode with press of a button.
Yeah almost no Youtuber mentioned peak brightness in their videos. So it has to be low, hence Xiaomi might be hiding those numbers.

A TV is invariably a long-term asset. I would suggest that you spend a bit more and get one from a reputable brand whose panel parameters are well known. Mi might be using a panel from a local Chinese manufacturer or the entry-level ones from TCL, HiSense or like. The entry level TCL QLED panels in India have a peak brightness of something like 300 nits which is ridiculous for HDR.

It may actually be worse compared to the specs but most informed reviewers don't review entry-level panels apart from the top-end ones sold in the US. Unfortunately, almost all reviewers on Indian websites and YouTube are clueless and provide only a subjective opinion since they don't have the tools needed to measure objectively. What's worse is that there subjective opinion is based on products reviewed at different times as provided by the manufacturers, since none of them own any of the products.

Also, the upscaling algorithms and image processing of almost all the Chinese OEMs is rubbish and nowhere near Sony or Samsung. They do a good enough job though of 1080p and higher content. Also HDMI 2.1 is pointless with a 60 Hz panel.

Lastly, TCL TVs, even in the US, have been constantly found contacting servers in China and it is guaranteed that Mi would be doing that as well since it is mandated by the Chinese government for data mining. You can alleviate this somewhat by never connecting the TV to the web and using a TV box from a non-Chinese manufacturer.

On the whole, just don't go by the spec list as there are other things to look for in a TV, specifically pertaining to the image quality.

Last edited:
A TV is invariably a long-term asset. I would suggest that you spend a bit more and get one from a reputable brand whose panel parameters are well known. Mi might be using a panel from a local Chinese manufacturer or the entry-level ones from TCL, HiSense or like. The entry level TCL QLED panels in India have a peak brightness of something like 300 nits which is ridiculous for HDR.

It may actually be worse compared to the specs but most informed reviewers don't review entry-level panels apart from the top-end ones sold in the US. Unfortunately, almost all reviewers on Indian websites and YouTube are clueless and provide only a subjective opinion since they don't have the tools needed to measure objectively. What's worse is that there subjective opinion is based on products reviewed at different times as provided by the manufacturers, since none of them own any of the products.

Also, the upscaling algorithms and image processing of almost all the Chinese OEMs is rubbish and nowhere near Sony or Samsung. They do a good enough job though of 1080p and higher content. Also HDMI 2.1 is pointless with a 60 Hz panel.

Lastly, TCL TVs, even in the US, have been constantly found contacting servers in China and it is guaranteed that Mi would be doing that as well since it is mandated by the Chinese government for data mining. You can alleviate this somewhat by never connecting the TV to the web and using a TV box from a non-Chinese manufacturer.

On the whole, just don't go by the spec list as there are other things to look for in a TV, specifically pertaining to the image quality.
Can you suggest a 55 inch Tv within 50K-60K please?

Can you suggest a 55 inch Tv within 50K-60K please?
The lower series from Samsung/LG/Sony will all have some compromises at the price. But thankfully, for the big brands, the models are nearly equivalent across the world with slightly different model numbers.

Take a call based on the reviews at Rtings.

Consider investing that much of a sum in a trustworthy brands like Sony, Samsung, Lg etc.
Chinese etc. tv are good for sub 25k budget where you get a bmw engine albeit in a maruti variant or vice versa...just imagine! Its just a compromise either ways.

I have a 49" version. The brightness issue is non existent. Some have fixed their setting my turning off adaptive brightness. But its more than sufficient for me even with that setting on and backlight at 60-80%
It's bad to keep your backlight at the peak brightness anyway. If you keep it at full the tv's backlight will die in 10 years. keeing at 75-80 percent will have much greater longevity.

I have read that Qled filter will reduce the light path even more and thus lead to low brightness. Further more my living room does have quite a bit of sunlight, hence I was a bit hesitant.

i was just searching for tvs today at local shops , i can say if you are on budget and if you have space for 65 inch go for 65 . Go for Samsung QDot tv`s they are offering 10 years warranty on their panels and look good better than the all those budget 4k also do consider Lg`s nanocell (i didnt query about their panel warranty) ,don't get fooled by that sticker price attached to tv ,they do some fancy calculation and pricing will be dropped by some 30-40k (i enquired for LG oled (with sticker price of 1.90 BX series ) and there are some sbi ,hdfc idk what other banks emi benefits on EMI tv by around 6k -7k . i dragged him and he almost came to 1.3 something. So i would recommend let 2020 pass take along with you low ballers with you like your mom ,wife or anyone who negotiates hard you will get a good tv at good price.

that same tv`s price online is on its online store

https://www.vijaysales.com/lg-oled55bxpta-55-139-7-cm-4k-oled-smart-tv/13794 << 1.30 .so you can still hammer them down from this pricing

check the reviews of tvs before hand of Samsung's lgs sonys ,note down exact model number and make ,don't get trapped with the latest shit just shamelessly check model no. online and catch his bluff if he is bluffing.

you can go now and do a initial check out current prices and by the end of JAN prices

Jan end and February could be the best time to get home appliances. Buy last year model in next year you will get the discount.

The lower series from Samsung/LG/Sony will all have some compromises at the price. But thankfully, for the big brands, the models are nearly equivalent across the world with slightly different model numbers.

Take a call based on the reviews at Rtings.
I heard Samsung displaying Ads on their TV OS now. Otherwise the samsung frame TVs looks good.

i was just searching for tvs today at local shops , i can say if you are on budget and if you have space for 65 inch go for 65 . Go for Samsung QDot tv`s they are offering 10 years warranty on their panels and look good better than the all those budget 4k also do consider Lg`s nanocell (i didnt query about their panel warranty) ,don't get fooled by that sticker price attached to tv ,they do some fancy calculation and pricing will be dropped by some 30-40k (i enquired for LG oled (with sticker price of 1.90 BX series ) and there are some sbi ,hdfc idk what other banks emi benefits on EMI tv by around 6k -7k . i dragged him and he almost came to 1.3 something. So i would recommend let 2020 pass take along with you low ballers with you like your mom ,wife or anyone who negotiates hard you will get a good tv at good price.

that same tv`s price online is on its online store

https://www.vijaysales.com/lg-oled55bxpta-55-139-7-cm-4k-oled-smart-tv/13794 << 1.30 .so you can still hammer them down from this pricing

check the reviews of tvs before hand of Samsung's lgs sonys ,note down exact model number and make ,don't get trapped with the latest shit just shamelessly check model no. online and catch his bluff if he is bluffing.

you can go now and do a initial check out current prices and by the end of JAN prices

Jan end and February could be the best time to get home appliances. Buy last year model in next year you will get the discount.
It's a bit offtopic but if you have some knowledge do share some..
How much difference do you expect between last year's model and the latest ones? I wanted to get a new washing machine by Feb-March and as JMP pointed out prices for consumer goods will increase.

2 years back i got a lg refrigerator (my first buy for home electronics/equipment) ,the shop was quoting 60 or something , pulled them lower lower to around 52 or something than later on checked flipkart and showed him that this model is now 2018 and flipkart was also is selling for 47 so he was now willing to go further down. Eventually what happened my mom choose a latest model and all efforts went to drain.But i got a lesson that you can pull hard in Jan end Feb end.

Dont get fooled by star ratings (energy star ratings ) suppose a 5 star Ac of 2019 would depreciate to maybe 4 Star in 2020 ,thats how maybe india rating works
Dont go for exchange of old equipment with new always bargain without exchange .after you are satisfied with the bargain throw in your old equipment to bargain more or sell it somewhere else

dont talk emi /exchange etc just pure give and take.

And when the shop keeper says aapne toh news mai dekha hi hoga k 10 % price hua hai ,slaughter him ,yeh last year ka model hai 10% reduce kar instantly

I heard Samsung displaying Ads on their TV OS now. Otherwise the samsung frame TVs looks good.
I had purchased the Frame 55" during Diwali for 77k (before its price was reduced to the current MRP of 79k). The panel is between a Q70T and a Q80T in terms of quality with the compromise being the lack of FALD which I can live with as I am not a TV buff. Normally, the Frame does not fare well in reviews as it is priced close to the Q80T internationally. However, in India, the Q80T 55" has a MRP of 1.5L and sells for 1.2L after bargains/discounts with the Q70T selling close to 1L in the least.

In that sense, the Frame is a good value buy if you can live without FALD and may be just about average peak HDR brightness. It has superb contrast at over 8000:1 and HDMI 2.1/FreeSync support. While motion smoothing may not be for everyone, personally I like it as it makes great use of the 120 Hz panel. Samsung does a really good job here along with Sony and this is where I have seen all Chinese TVs struggle immensely.

I tuned the Movie Mode for colour accuracy which doesn't get as bright as the Dynamic mode in general. It works well with HDR 10+ content but not so with Dolby Vision. Hence, 4K Prime Video content looks great but Netflix content relying only on Dolby Vision are a bit muted. However, it is still better than most of the budget panels that cannot get anywhere close to 500 nits of peak brightness.

Lastly, I was a bit circumspect about the viewing angles of the VA panel but I end up watching it at 45 degrees in a lot of cases and the colour shift isn't really that bad. I didn't observe any ads as such but I think it may be referring to the promoted apps. But I use a Fire TV anyway, so I never come across the Tizen interface at all.

Overall, a good VFM buy if you are not looking to go over 1L for a X95 or BX.

Last edited:
Back