Is the Vodafone Rs. 99 unlimited GPRS plan worth it?

CA50 said:
@raksrules, nothing special, just that it is unlimited for 98/-
Checked on aircel website, it is bit confusing but for prepaid at least it is 3GB in 98 rupees and somewhere it is mentioned that it is 98 rs unlimited for postpaid :S

But anyways, since it will not be primary connection for OP, 2GB/3GB wont be that relevant.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Failtel is better here if what you're saying about Voda is true.

AIRTEL's mobile office 2G RC98 GPRS plan (gives EDGE speeds) has 2GB (prepaid btw) data, use it any way you want. ANd yea, 240p youtube videos run fine on my 5230, no need to even buffer(wait). HQ takes a buffer but with 3G even thats gone.

boogeyman said:
Are these plans (98,111,89) Vodafone Mobile Connect plans? Also it seems they're all prepaid. The cheapest thing available on postpaid is Rs. 299 for 2GB.
I have a vodafone prepaid and I get 2GB net for Rs.99/- a month. And for postpaid, its Rs.99/- a month for 1 GB(go to a mini store, he will tell u). I can barely use 500 MB a month though i dont download any movies songs like some of my friends.

I also have airtel sim with 98/- a month for 2GB but its no good. The connection keeps disconnecting, pings are really bad though somehow i dont find any difference b/w airtel and voda when i connect to net using a laptop. In mobile, voda rocks.

Vodafone 99 Unlimited is the Vodafone Live Plan.VL is useless as half of the things wont work. Android doesn't even work with VL as its proxy based and all ports except 1 port is closed. Min VMC plan is VMC 99 2GB..take that

Supra said:
Vodafone 99 Unlimited is the Vodafone Live Plan.VL is useless as half of the things wont work. Android doesn't even work with VL as its proxy based and all ports except 1 port is closed. Min VMC plan is VMC 99 2GB..take that
I would happily take that 2GB plan if it was available for postpaid. Their website shows only these plans for postpaid:

82z3I.jpg

The CC didn't know any other plans. They just mentioned the above plans as if they were directly reading from the website. I've sent an email to Corporate.Assist@vodafone.com from my official email id requesting them about how much data usage is available in my company's plan. Also asked them about an updated list of 2G and 3G plans. Lets see what they reply.

If they also reply with only stupid plans, I'll get the damn thing converted to prepaid only. :mad:

^^Just threaten the CC by saying you will terminate the connection if they cannot provide 98/2 GB plan. If you are a long time user (> 6 months) it will be done. If this fails send request for port. That should definitely do it. I witnessed this with my friend who ported from airtel to vodafone. After I told them about Rs 98 plan the guy promptly called his boss and the charges came down to 149. He said he could have made it 98 if only the connection was active on their network for more than 6 months.
Give it a shot I say. Don't understand this stupid policy of Vodafone though. Probably milking unknowing customers the same way as with their iphone only plans.:no:

boogeyman said:
Hi Guys,

I'm just looking for a plan to use during my commute (surfing, emails, maps, chat) and also a kinda backup connection in case my home net goes down so that I can connect my phone to my comp and check mails/surf online and use the mobile net.

I'm currently on the pay as you go GPRS plan. I recently found out regarding this unlimited GPRS plan for 99 bucks a month and on finding out from the CC, only surfing is allowed. No downloading or video streaming. Is anyone using this plan and would you recommend it?

Do they make any false charges in the name of "downloading" like some other operators (*ahem* Failtel *ahem*)? Also, there is a Rs. 100 3G plan which allows 100 MB free. Which one would be better? TIA

surfing, emails, maps, chat also comes under Downloading.

Dhrubo said:
^^Just threaten the CC by saying you will terminate the connection if they cannot provide 98/2 GB plan. If you are a long time user (> 6 months) it will be done. If this fails send request for port. That should definitely do it. I witnessed this with my friend who ported from airtel to vodafone. After I told them about Rs 98 plan the guy promptly called his boss and the charges came down to 149. He said he could have made it 98 if only the connection was active on their network for more than 6 months.

Give it a shot I say. Don't understand this stupid policy of Vodafone though. Probably milking unknowing customers the same way as with their iphone only plans.:no:
Hmm interesting. I'll see what they reply and go ahead with it. I'm their user since more than 5 years and a postpaid user since more than 3 years. About time I "use" them properly instead of the other way round.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Emperor said:
surfing, emails, maps, chat also comes under Downloading.
Well of course, technically it does. But you never know with these providers as to how they define what actually "surfing" and "downloading" constitutes.

boogeyman said:
Are these plans (98,111,89) Vodafone Mobile Connect plans? Also it seems they're all prepaid. The cheapest thing available on postpaid is Rs. 299 for 2GB.
Not all. All are VL and all WAP based. VMC plans are much more expensive, although not as expensive the post paid ones.

I use it on my 5800. It is a great plan to offer decent mobile surfing speeds in Mumbai. Never crossed 400 MB with heavy surfing and Opera Mini :)

Also, fyi i have used it to logon to my office remotely and do work while my MTNL Triband modem died. It sucked like hell but still got the job done in like 4x time.

Neo.

The cheapest thing available on postpaid is Rs.99/- for 1GB. And its VMC mind it. I dont know about other circles but iam sure about mumbai.

neomustdie said:
I use it on my 5800. It is a great plan to offer decent mobile surfing speeds in Mumbai. Never crossed 400 MB with heavy surfing and Opera Mini :)

Also, fyi i have used it to logon to my office remotely and do work while my MTNL Triband modem died. It sucked like hell but still got the job done in like 4x time.

Neo.
Which plan are you talking about? The 99 unlimited one? Your scenario is exactly the one I have in mind if/when my primary net goes down.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Aladdin said:
The cheapest thing available on postpaid is Rs.99/- for 1GB. And its VMC mind it. I dont know about other circles but iam sure about mumbai.
But these idiots don't mention it anywhere. Neither on their site nor to their CC reps.

boogeyman said:
But these idiots don't mention it anywhere. Neither on their site nor to their CC reps.

Just go to a mini store and they will tell you. Actually i came to know when i was suggesting one of my friend to move to Prepaid to get a worthy data plan. So we went to a mini store and he asked us why we want to quit, we told him why and then the bugger told us about this Rs.99/- a GB plan.

I am confused :S
some say with the 99 we get true UL surfing with vodafone live.
Some say its not worth because it has only one port active.
Some say we connect to pc using VMC And to mobile through VL.
has anyone tried to connect to pc through VL by configuring your VL through their appropriate proxy ?

Aladdin said:
Just go to a mini store and they will tell you. Actually i came to know when i was suggesting one of my friend to move to Prepaid to get a worthy data plan. So we went to a mini store and he asked us why we want to quit, we told him why and then the bugger told us about this Rs.99/- a GB plan.
Cool. But now a question arises: Is the 99 for 1 GB plan better than 99 for unlimited - surfing only plan? I would think so as I wouldn't trust them regarding what is supported as surfing and what is not. What do you guys think?

Perfect, even I'm having the same Q.. need some 2G/3G plan as a backup for my Vodafone corporate postpaid connection.. looks like 99/1GB is good enough for me..

boogeyman said:
Cool. But now a question arises: Is the 99 for 1 GB plan better than 99 for unlimited - surfing only plan? I would think so as I wouldn't trust them regarding what is supported as surfing and what is not. What do you guys think?
You actually answered it yourself. Plus you cant surf from a computer/laptop using VL.

Aladdin said:
You actually answered it yourself. Plus you cant surf from a computer/laptop using VL.
what exactly happens when it is done ?
AFAIK i had a similar scheme with loop mobile(then bpl) complimentary free surfing on wap service. Many of us configured our browsers to wap proxies and it worked just as fine.

^ Why should i find out what happens when its connected to PC? :p

Just the fact that officially its not available is enough for me not to even consider VL. I think most of us use mobile internet on PC in emergencies or for lite surfing or as backup ISP. And if there is a way to configure browsers to work, its no goldmine. Maybe if the speeds were 3g..

And oh google services don't work on VL.

Back