Issues with newbies only here for Market

I would also like to know any rules I missed. I m also shown as Market banned. But I didnt do anything to violate any rules as per my knowledge.

If Mods can please link us to new rules if any. I would not like my credibility to go down due to any bymistakenly rules broken if any

Thank you

PS : I have never had any bad purchase history and never did I sell anything yet.

Your thread WTB Canon 50mm or 35mm prime lens, EF or EF-S was deleted. Reason: Market Closed to New Members
What are the requirements to post in marketplace? I thought I had reached disciple so I could post now. I posted in WTB section.

So as of today I am "Market Restricted" and I don't know why.

The only thing I did was bump my post after several days and mentioned a lowered price without accessories.

Why can't we have phone number verification or something like that. I'm having to make low quality comments just to get out of recruit status so I can use the marketplace.
Are you aware you can get FREE mobile SIMs? Scammers don't even have to spend money on buying a new SIM for every scam.

You will not get any reply just more of this passive aggressive snarky stuff
I think you will be happier at Olx, FB, etc. This isn't a marketplace primarily, it's just an extra feature for forum users. If all you want to do is buy/sell stuff, you have lot of existing options, no need to worm your way here with "low quality comments". That limitation exists precisely to discourage such behaviour. With new SIM + new account, scammers will be able to scam unchecked if we follow your logic.

Are you aware you can get FREE mobile SIMs? Scammers don't even have to spend money on buying a new SIM for every scam.

I think you will be happier at Olx, FB, etc. This isn't a marketplace primarily, it's just an extra feature for forum users. If all you want to do is buy/sell stuff, you have lot of existing options, no need to worm your way here with "low quality comments". That limitation exists precisely to discourage such behaviour. With new SIM + new account, scammers will be able to scam unchecked if we follow your logic.
You need some sort of ID proof for it and in case of someone scamming, if you want to file a police complaint, a mobile number is a lot more proof than a forum username. Writing comments is even easier than getting a SIM card especially these days with ChatGPT. If you want to avoid scammers by making people write comments that is obviously going to reduce the quality of the forum. If I hadn't outright said it that I was making comments only for marketplace, you wouldn't even know, because the comments weren't actually low quality and I've genuinely tried to help people. That's how I got into teambhp too, they have these rules like "fill out this form and write an essay to prove you are a real enthusiast" and most people just spam some gyaan to get in, these kind of rules just don't work. Anyway I'm not here to tell you guys how to run the place.

Wasn't there an option of paying to get some "Patron" tier here? I would be happy to do that.

Am I dreaming or did all these comments get moved out of the Sticky Thread into this? If so.... "Newbie" is a weird way to describe me who's been registered since 2019

Am I dreaming or did all these comments get moved out of the Sticky Thread into this? If so.... "Newbie" is a weird way to describe me who's been registered since 2019
Don't think/restrict this place to make only a buy/sell sewage.

Primary focus is discussions/help related to hardware/software etc.

If you join with primary intention of only buy / sell, you will always have difficulty understand primary focus of this site and might never understand.

Well, to be honest, I'm sure there are a lot of people like me here who just lurk about the forum reading different posts without having any substantial input to offer. I think the current patron system is good only, it offers a valid blocker to discourage scammers. However, there have been multiple times where I have made perfectly reasonable comments on forum posts/for sale posts which have gone into "waiting for moderators to approve" bracket and never been approved. I feel a lot of these messages get rejected by the mods without even proper verification because that's the only thing that makes sense. If there was an achievements system here which can tell the newbies like me what I have to do to get out of recruit jail, would be really a nice target I can aspire towards. Otherwise, recruit jail feels like shit. I get the patron when I need to buy/sell stuff and other times I am forced to keep shut because most of my messages don't get approved anyway. It's not a big deal but the only thing I really dislike about the forum here.

"Newbie" is a weird way to describe me who's been registered since 2019

Age of the account doesn't appear to have much weight here, we've seen members with 10+ year old accounts that have forgotten about or didn't bother reading point #2 of the guidelines for the marketplace and ended up with a temporary ban.

The restrictions are likely in place for people who haven't been active in discussions. From what I've gathered in my short time here, the forum exists for the exchange of knowledge, ideas and opinions and the marketplace exists to offload unwanted/unused hardware to like minded individuals. The mods/admins are steering the forum's membership into forming a community more than anything else.

Post Covid/GPU mining there has been some relaxations with regard to dealers and resellers but the main focus of the forum hasn't changed.

I'm sure there are a lot of people like me here who just lurk about the forum reading different posts without having any substantial input to offer.

That used to be me, I didn't feel like I had anything of value to offer to a discussion because I didn't really have any strong opinions or interest. This changed when I started asking questions and wanted to learn about things, even if they had no bearing in my day to day life.

However, there have been multiple times where I have made perfectly reasonable comments on forum posts/for sale posts which have gone into "waiting for moderators to approve" bracket and never been approved.

But that's to be expected:

Classifieds & PM is closed to New Members (Recruits)

Recruits Posting permissions will be disabled soon to avoid confusion.

If you posted outside the marketplace, those comments might take a few days to be approved since all the mods/admins are volunteers here. I've had comments by new members show up well after the topic's interest died out, but that only happens when your post count is low (more encouragement to take part in discussions). It's possible if you're issued a temporary ban, all of your unapproved posts might be discarded — I don't know how that works around here.

I also have quite a few tech-related things I want to know more about and hobbies I want to dabble in. But I'm always either too lazy or too apprehensive to start asking questions. Resolution for 2024 lol.

Don't think/restrict this place to make only a buy/sell sewage.

Primary focus is discussions/help related to hardware/software etc.

If you join with primary intention of only buy / sell, you will always have difficulty understand primary focus of this site and might never understand.
Age of the account doesn't appear to have much weight here, we've seen members with 10+ year old accounts that have forgotten about or didn't bother reading point #2 of the guidelines for the marketplace and ended up with a temporary ban.

The restrictions are likely in place for people who haven't been active in discussions. From what I've gathered in my short time here, the forum exists for the exchange of knowledge, ideas and opinions and the marketplace exists to offload unwanted/unused hardware to like minded individuals. The mods/admins are steering the forum's membership into forming a community more than anything else.
Listen, I understand your point, it's to separate scammers and newbies from people who are here for more than just spamming the marketplace section and enjoy discussions, but we can all see each other's post history so feel free to see mine. I don't see how exactly I challenged the spirit of the forum. Granted I may not have a whole lot of posts here, but I don't go around making sale threads every day either.

I've been here for 5 years now and I've only ever made TWO sale threads in that entire time so you can't say I'm here just for the "buy/sell sewage". If that was my primary intention then why did I only ever try to sell 2 times in 5 years of membership? Being wary of new members I understand, but punishing people with older accounts just because they lurk instead of respond to everything. Even in my introduction post, I specified that I am a long-time lurker that doesn't post do you think I did all this 1 year ago just to pull a long con?

So, I don't see any reasonably explanation for why I've got sent to this jail suddenly but more importantly I don't know if this is a permanent status or what is expected to 'trust' me again so to speak. It appears that if I had just pressed that little bump button, then things would go on as before but I typed a message and someone on staff saw I posted in the buying section and I don't have tons of posts in the past few months and therefore I must be punished.

The 29 posts you've made so far averages out to one post per two months, so yeah it's expected you'd be restricted from the marketplace. It's not a punishment forced upon you, it's a precaution for other members.

There's trust issues with such a sparse posting history, what if you disappear? What if you take forever to reply to messages and send updates? Without a post history, no one can vouch for you or consider you trustworthy.

Think of the marketplace as a bonus section of the forum, and see if that's enough to either motivate you to participate in the discussions here or if something like Facebook or OLX is better suited with what you want to do with your time.

The 29 posts you've made so far averages out to one post per two months, so yeah it's expected you'd be restricted from the marketplace. It's not a punishment forced upon you, it's a precaution for other members.

There's trust issues with such a sparse posting history, what if you disappear? What if you take forever to reply to messages and send updates? Without a post history, no one can vouch for you or consider you trustworthy.

Think of the marketplace as a bonus section of the forum, and see if that's enough to either motivate you to participate in the discussions here or if something like Facebook or OLX is better suited with what you want to do with your time.
Respectfully you're making decorum based assumptions there of how you believe things here work or should work which is fine but, that doesn't tell me if it's actually how it is since no reasons were given, no message to the mods has been replied to, no nothing.

It's not "expected" otherwise I would have gotten restricted when I tried making a thread in the first place, but it was allowed and it's been up for almost 2 months so you can't retroactively justify this as something I should expect.

It got restricted today because someone decided I was "untrustworthy" as you say, because I made a post in my own thread mind you, and suddenly out of the blue, with no prior notice, no warning I find out my thread got closed and I have this mark of ostracisation on my profile that declares to anyone that reads that I am untrustworthy everywhere I go on the forum with no clue if it's a permanent status or how this 'brand' I now wear is treated by other people.

I was apparently quite trustworthy for the entire duration my thread was up for the past ~2 months, no doubt the mods saw it more than once in the past 2 months and never objected but something suddenly changed today. This is what confounds me.

You're taking it personally when it's really not, it's just to protect the other members here. You're not being targeted, you're not being told that you're unwanted here. It's just a precautionary label for others to see based on (presumably) your posting history.

The mods/admins volunteer their time here and it's generally acknowledged by most other members that they don't personally respond to every question or decision they make regarding their moderating/administrating responsibilities here. If there's a prior precedent, it's expected that you search it out and find the answers/reasoning behind their decisions. For example:

Exhibit B: https://techenclave.com/threads/una...-upgrade-to-patron.209073/page-2#post-2428133

Exhibit C: https://techenclave.com/threads/classifieds-is-too-difficult.212054/#post-2438914

I've been here a few years and that's the first time I saw those posts linked above and they were just a search query away.

If it helps, think of them as babysitters and the rest of us as unruly kids. If we don't advise/govern ourselves, they step in with a (often temporary) ban hammer.

You're taking it personally when it's really not, it's just to protect the other members here. You're not being targeted, you're not being told that you're unwanted here. It's just a precautionary label for others to see based on (presumably) your posting history.
Even if one buys Patron they will continue to be Market Restricted. There is no criteria it seems, is kind of arbitrary.

Back