IT Ministry orders VPN providers, crypto players to store user data for five years

No perpetuity. Just want to watch some interesting sporting events in a better quality. And Jio/Sony LIV are utter shit!
Sony LIV ruined my Olympics watching experience. Not an exaggeration. Tv channels provided better quality and I don't have a TV.
Anyway that's all.
Works on SurfShark and this is through the browser extension alone. Also been using iPlayer for the last couple of years with SurfShark and it works fine as well.
1654764120980.png

Once vpn starts logging Indians data, IT ministry will prematurely die of heart attack seeing all logs and website we access and this been going on for a decade now...
VPN india tabhi to Access india...

Once vpn starts logging Indians data, IT ministry will prematurely die of heart attack seeing all logs and website we access and this been going on for a decade now...
VPN india tabhi to Access india...
They don't care about everyone, the data will be used when someone is on there target.

Just a suggestion - rent a VPS instead of subscribing to a VPN service.

Install wireguard (or l2tp or openvpn if you prefer) - and you are all set.
No one ever gets to know you are using a VPN in the first place.. neither the govt, nor streaming services or anyone else for that matter.

This is good, any VPN provider who's not complying with the CERT-In's stupid and ridiculous guidelines means they care for the privacy of their customers. Besides this doesn't mean we won't be able to use their services anymore. Only that the VPN server location as "India" won't be available. There are virtual Indian IP servers they can and are hosting which provides Indian IP but servers are actually located in other countries.

Besides, who here uses a VPN and connects to Indian servers to get a Indian IP anyways?
Just a suggestion - rent a VPS instead of subscribing to a VPN service.

Install wireguard (or l2tp or openvpn if you prefer) - and you are all set.
No one ever gets to know you are using a VPN in the first place.. neither the govt, nor streaming services or anyone else for that matter.
Who's ensuring that the activity of the VPS itself isn't logged? Actual VPN providers host RAM-only servers so data is not logged.

Who's ensuring that the activity of the VPS itself isn't logged? Actual VPN providers host RAM-only servers so data is not logged.
If you use a personal VPS, you are effectively flying under the radar.
You are out of Normal surveillance sweeps and the likes.
No one anywhere performs active surveillance on general purpose virtual machines

Of course, if you actually do something criminal and get caught otherwise (e.g sending out a ransom note ..lol ) , its a different story - but i don’t think this thread is about how to get away with crime :)

If you use a personal VPS, you are effectively flying under the radar.
You are out of Normal surveillance sweeps and the likes.
No one anywhere performs active surveillance on general purpose virtual machines

Of course, if you actually do something criminal and get caught otherwise (e.g sending out a ransom note ..lol ) , its a different story - but i don’t think this thread is about how to get away with crime :)
Not all VPS providers allow tunneling. Some still flag DMCA violations. Indian VPS solutions are very overpriced. If the idea is to access Indian servers, then it makes little sense as lots of sites will be blocked anyway due to the TRAI list.

If you are using foreign servers, then the government directive has no impact and it is always better to have multiple locations when using VPN.

Couldn't find anything pegasus, govt did not cooperate and the report may not be made public :bored:

What was the point of this exercise then? opposition fires off charges now govt can rebut. That's it (!) we learnt bugger all more...PR episode war over.

It has recommended that the country's cyber security needs enhancement while protecting the right to privacy to ward off unauthorised surveillance.
Yes

It said there has to be a special investigation agency for investigating cyber attacks and to strengthen the cyber security network of the country.
It also said private firms resorting to illegal surveillance should be prosecuted.
Makes me think some foreign agency was involved. Trial run was done on the opposition. The implicit message is next target will be govt and preferably the military.

Govt got screwed twice here. Nice one whichever agency you are.

There you have it

Last edited:
There you have it
Pegasus itself never refused the claims.

The thief itself never refused the allegations of theft. So what's the point of wasting taxpayers money and time to really check of thievery even happened or not.

Now govt will also set up another committee to write another clean chit about not being the second biggest customer of cambridge analytica.

This year alone has seen 5 different attempt/draft/laws to remove user privacy that I know and are discussed here. Now I've gotten used to it. Not just me, other people here too. Has anyone bothered to create new thread about how govt claimed citizens don't have basic right of privacy in HC against facebook for taking down whatsapp encryption? Or about the twitter whistleblower claiming indian govt officials coming to twitter offices and themselves shunning down critiques using twitter's official computers? It all happened this week. Now nobody's bothered about it.

I've been seriously considering deleting my accounts and contents from many other websites.

Pegasus itself never refused the claims.
All that means is they do not confirm or deny it was used. It does not say who the target was. And that is the crucial bit where the hide and seek is going on.
The thief itself never refused the allegations of theft. So what's the point of wasting taxpayers money and time to really check of thievery even happened or not.
Because the opposition is charging that. The Supreme court was moved they have to do their job and they can only do so much.
Now govt will also set up another committee to write another clean chit about not being the second biggest customer of cambridge analytica.
If govt services are using such tools it would be to track threats. Not the opposition. But if you could frame it that way then you can deny the govt the ability to track threats.

Tell me who benefits in that case. Not us.
This year alone has seen 5 different attempt/draft/laws to remove user privacy that I know and are discussed here. Now I've gotten used to it. Not just me, other people here too.
India is a rule of law country. It means we the people can challenge the govt in the supreme court whenever. So no need for this fatalist attitude.

Has anyone bothered to create new thread about how govt claimed citizens don't have basic right of privacy in HC against facebook for taking down whatsapp encryption?
Go ahead if you want.
Or about the twitter whistleblower claiming indian govt officials coming to twitter offices and themselves shunning down critiques using twitter's official computers? It all happened this week. Now nobody's bothered about it.
From what I've seen this govt has been weak on Twitter. They make threats but do not carry them out. So twitter tells them to get lost. Twitter gets away with more than it should. So we developed koo.
I've been seriously considering deleting my accounts and contents from many other websites.
My comments on youtube get removed on a regular basis. I don't know what the point of commenting there is. I've developed a dislike for social media over the past few years. I don't mind reading but taking part is not what I'm used to on forums.

If govt services are using such tools it would be to track threats. Not the opposition. But if you could frame it that way then you can deny the govt the ability to track threats.
Cambridge Analytica wasn't used to track. It was used on undecided users be feeding them a constant diet of fake news through facebook. That's how the Trump won. But Indian episode happened before that.

Either way, for our mental health, forum health, let's cheerfully agree to disagree. We are too old to have never ending streak of counter arguments. :oldman: If you ever come to Pune, I'll buy you a beer.

Back