It's a boy, and his name is....

RiO

Skilled
...Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (L627A872), and he just arrived in the mail :)

Gonna pop it in the P5N32-E SLI one of these days and see what it's capable of... hopefully 4GHz @ 1.5v and 50C, maybe lower :D

I guess that's a random statement, but anyway, get quad and do what? Do you have any idea how they clock or how hot they run? :p

LOL...nice title. titillating...:bleh:

and congrats you old enthu you...Loads of cash being blown by the gentleman with the guitar :p

@ why didn't u go q6600? Priced around the same na???? even less if I'm not mistaken...
anyways have fun! :hap2:
benchies...pronto!!

^^^Cost wasn't the issue, *what* I'm getting for that cost is... QX6700 was tempting but it runs like a b**ch on heat, even under water. True quads are around the corner, will be worth the wait and this will hold me up for another year. Plus, Q6600 has locked multis - no fun at all.

RiO said:
I guess that's a random statement, but anyway, get quad and do what? Do you have any idea how they clock or how hot they run? :p

Sorry to double post. rio I've tested the qx6700. Doesn't heat much up to the 3.4 odd GHz I clocked on it. That was on a 680i too. I'm sure with better cooling (I ran stock) you'd get close to 3.8....

vandal said:
Sorry to double post. rio I've tested the qx6700. Doesn't heat much up to the 3.4 odd GHz I clocked on it. That was on a 680i too. I'm sure with better cooling (I ran stock) you'd get close to 3.8....

At 3.6 or so, with a Scythe Infinity (modded) and liquid metal, the QX6700 reaches roughly 70 degrees. There's no way it can do 3.4GHz at sane temps on stock cooling :p. Plus clocking a kentsfield is way harder. The 680i SLI doesn't manage it at all... max of arnd 350FSB while the P5B manages ~400FSB.

vandal said:
That's pretty much how fast the chip can go, unless you get lucky. Btw, what temps were you getting in TAT or Coretemp @ 3.4ghz? Your idle temps would have been north of 65C and load would have been a scorching 80C - no kidding. I'm not in the mood for this kinda chip - I'd rather wait for K8L/K10 and when quads can be put to some use during daily computing.

Chaos said:
At 3.6 or so, with a Scythe Infinity (modded) and liquid metal, the QX6700 reaches roughly 70 degrees. There's no way it can do 3.4GHz at sane temps on stock cooling :p. Plus clocking a kentsfield is way harder. The 680i SLI doesn't manage it at all... max of arnd 350FSB while the P5B manages ~400FSB.

Will post screenies of the same here...watch!

Back