Linux KDE 4.x discussion thread

I'm getting an idea for a new thread, will post in a few minutes... perhaps make the new thread sticky? lets see... :eek:hyeah:

just now updated my arch desktop install... gotta update arch on tablet and karmic and fedora too... got quad boot now you see :eek:hyeah: (show off)...

note there is a new login kdm theme which "oxygen-air" or something which is better than the ugly black one, so run "kdesu systemsettings" in the desktop and go into the login manager applet to change it :)

edit: also just now noticed the menu levels/structure is cleaned up and flattened/reduced so you click less to start an app.

hmm one simple question, which kde distro for no frills usage, something like ubuntu which is well integrated and has good repos, i find many people complaining that kubuntu is not that well integrated with kde..

basically want to try the new kde 4.3 :p, the last kde version i used was 3.x or something...lol

also how much memory is it hogging compared to earlier versions? any chance it has reduced/speed is better?

i was also one of the "complainers" about kubuntu earlier but when i tried 9.04 with KDE 4.2 it is very good. it gives a clean KDE experience without too much modification/customisation like the other distros give you. So go for Kubuntu 9.04 but it only has KDE 4.2

If you want KDE 4.3 you can still install stable kubuntu 9.04 and add the unsupported repositories mentioned in the kubuntu.org homepage and you will get KDE 4.3 which is cool

Or you can run Kubuntu 9.10 alphas if you are brave hehe.

Another very good option (but lot more work/risk) is running Arch Linux but I would say stick to Kubuntu.

will be running in virtual machine only but still will use kubutu 9.04 with the backports available in lauchpad :D

arch linux maybe later, is it a derivative of slackware?

Check out this blog post: Few things about kdm that do not make much sense to me | David Vignoni Visual Designer Blog Archive

So one of the devs responded: QML to KDM! Presto!! | Enrico Ros

Some awesome videos of QML animations, one even on the Nokia N900, sweetness! :eek:hyeah:

[youtube]5hgcLxAJ6hM[/youtube]

[youtube]U7IgwNrcln8[/youtube]

[youtube]3VKqwDN6P6o[/youtube]

I'm running 4.4 beta 2 on Kubuntu 10.04 alpha and I can see it starting to come together... the task preview/popup sliding from one task to another is now super smooth. Although progress bars still are not smooth, so got to see what up with that... I don't have this "animations" tab as seen in the screenshot from polishlinux review, so will try installing nvidia driver to see if I get it...

Wooo - just now completed compiling basic KDE 4.4 RC1 (4.4 branch latest) stuff from source and have the desktop running on Arch! Progressbar has smooth increases but abrupt decrease. Still not as polished as Win7 but I'm sure it's easy to improve. The source checkout took TWO weekends ahahaha...

Chrome beta runs quite smooth.

Looks awesome! now, KDE desktop is ages ahead of gnome or any other DE.using other desktop's Like gnome feel like back to stoneage. KDE 4.4 looks tempting too, But I would wait for a proper release instead.

Currently, Even KDE3 has hell of customization options which I haven't tried yet. still KDE is not stable for me, I get a few random crashes every now & then.

the bugs which made it crash were:

* Dolphin Qt-dbus random crashes (Nepomuk integration?)

* Plasma Workspace (kdeinit4),Segmentation fault.

I just wish KDE people focus more on bug fixes than adding new features. as stability is more important to me:)

Back