Kerela Trip : urgent advice needed

Hello Guys,

We made a sudden plan of family (me, mom, dad) trip to Kerela after my father got a appointment for check up at Shree Chitra Tirunal Institute in Trivandrum.

Its just like its decided now and we would be starting journey day after tomorrow, reaching trivandrum probably by 26th or 27th

Thus, quick advice is needed about visiting good places around the area. Check up/ Tests etc would be going around for 1 week thus we will be staying in Trivandrum for around 1 week however could roam to near about places where one can travel and return in a day itself for next day check up schedule.

Also, we plan to have dedicated 3-4 days after checkups just for travelling. What are the places advised to visit in south so that a schematic travelling could be done.

Heheeh. My aunt works there as a nurse.
<

Good places in TVM. Well you can go to the Beach, Veli, Meuseum&Kanakunnu, Ponmudi hill station, Vizhinjam Aquarium etc

These are all I can come up now. Will post more later.

Any more detailed info shoot.

Let us use proper terminologies, shall we?
<

Shankhumugham Beach

Veli Tourist Village

Napier Museum (or Museum as it is plainly known as over here) and Kanakakunnu Palace

Kovalam Beach

Ponmudi Hill Station

Heheeh. My aunt works there as a nurse.
<

Good places in TVM. Well you can go to the Beach, Veli, Meuseum&Kanakunnu, Ponmudi hill station, Vizhinjam Aquarium etc

These are all I can come up now. Will post more later.

Any more detailed info shoot.

Thanxx for the help.. Are these places in and around Trivandrum?

Let us use proper terminologies, shall we?
<

Shankhumugham Beach

Veli Tourist Village

Napier Museum (or Museum as it is plainly known as over here) and Kanakakunnu Palace

Kovalam Beach

Ponmudi Hill Station

Thanx.. again same query, are they near ones to Trivandrum to be travelled in a day?

don't miss out on Varkala !

Sure. Thanxx
<

Don't miss Varkala & Kovalam. You should be able to cover all the places in 1 week.

For places inside the City you can easily travel by an Auto. Don't know if they use a Meter.

Outside places like Varkala (north of TVM) & Kovalam (south of TVM) you'll have to take a Taxi. Buses can be uncomfortable with family & timing problems.

If you havn't decided where to stay, check out International YMCA. Its just next to the Secretariat & right in middle of the city. The rooms are huge & affordable rent. Call them up for more details. Don't know how far it'll be from your hospital.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Thiruvananthapuram

Btw. make sure the days you come don't have any Hartals or Bands. Entire Kerala will be dead on those days.
<

Well, I just noted some places close to Trivandrum for daily explore under the circle of 50km.. Here are what I found

Nedumangad

Poovan

Shencottah

Varkala - already recommended
<

Kovalam

Nagercoil

Tenkasi

Among the list, which are good ones to be included in travel list???

Also, we are not understanding which places should be included for a dedicated 3-4 days south seeing so a nice circular trip could be made.

Father friend recommended Rameshwaram to be there in list

BTW, where is backwaters located?? Backwater is the name we northies surely know
<

#greenhorn : I see so many places being mentioned here.. Why were we shown only to Kovalam beach, Peppara dam and the only CCD in TVM, when we visited about 2.5 years ago
<

@OP

Last 2 u mentioned.. well no one says those are the places to go from TVM exactly. So didnt mention.
<

Nedumangad? for what?

Backwaters is Alapuzha.
<
IMO, just go there.. spend 2 days and a night, rent a house boat, have some awesome food. worth it.
<

#m-jeri.. Some xyz site mentioned those names saying you might be interested. thus pasted the names here for guidance
<

Also, any places for jain pilgrimage?? My parents will be convinced about my smartness if I include some jain temples visit in schedule
<

Rameswaram is in Tamilnadu roughly 400 kms from TVM. You have to get to Madurai and then get to Rameswaram. BTW it will take 2 days to tour Rameswaram properly.

My suggestion is to visit the places mentioned as above in TVM and plan separately the south tour. Its worth it.

About Jain temples, there is one in Chitharal and heard about one in Mattanchery. Try them. I have no other idea.

Your family likes to visit temples...then get them to visit temples...else places where you can relax...else be a tourist visiting ancient places and Important places.

Iam from Alappuzha.The Backwaters you mentioned.If you are interested i can arrange a couple of days on the houseboat for you here.

And to all others visiting Alappuzha,if you need any help you can contact me.

More info on the backwaters at http://www.greentours.info/

Well, I just noted some places close to Trivandrum for daily explore under the circle of 50km.. Here are what I found

Nedumangad

Poovan

Shencottah

Varkala - already recommended
<

Kovalam

Nagercoil

Tenkasi

Among the list, which are good ones to be included in travel list???

Also, we are not understanding which places should be included for a dedicated 3-4 days south seeing so a nice circular trip could be made.

Father friend recommended Rameshwaram to be there in list

BTW, where is backwaters located?? Backwater is the name we northies surely know
<

Stay at Varkala . I have never enjoyed a more pristine beach than that.

If you can find the time, a trip to Munroe Island is another must-do. ( Munro thurath is what they call it ..)

Thanxx for the detailed help friends.. all points are noted
<

BTW, we are landing to TVM on 26th morning and have 26th and 27th totally free day.. Should we go to kanyakumari in these two days or anything other recommended???

Back