User Guides "Kill A Watt" to measure power consumption for 220v !

Device to measure power consumption for 220v devices!

There seems to be a lot of interest in tech enclave for measuring the amount of power that is drawn by the various devices in the house. So Im reproducing a blog that I had written last year on how to make your own "kill-a-watt" device. Im still using the device that I had and it is a great help.

Here is the original blog :
Random musings...: "Kill A Watt" for 220v !

And the contents reproduced below for those who cannot access blogs from work :

I have been thinking a lot about how to conserve power. Part of this is driven by the ever increasing number of gadgets in the house which are leading to larger and larger electricity bills !

I did a lot on searching on the net to figure out if a device to measure the amount of current being drawn by any device is available on the net. Sure it was, "Kill a watt" is a much used, much loved device to do this exactly. Unfortunately, like most things American, it uses 120v and there is nothing for the 220v side of the world. And one 220v option available for Europe was just ridiculously expensive.

So that set me thinking that this should not be too difficult to build. With the help of a few friends who were good at circuits, I finally built it for just Rs 750 ($15).

View attachment 11427

Here is the circuit diagram of the same. Remember that the current has to flow in series through the multimeter. The current has to pass through the multimeter and the selected component in series to measure the current flowing through the circuit.

Now for some live photos and DIY steps of how I to made it.

Disclaimer : Remember that we are talking of live current here, so the standard disclaimers apply. If you electrocute yourself or burn down your house, it is all your fault !!! Be careful with the circuits and do not connect anything till you are reasonably confident it is all going to work.

What do you need ? A digital multimeter that can measure current, these are available for Rs 600 in any good electrical shop. Remember that the multimeter's available for Rs 200 cannot measure current. They only work on DC and measure current voltages. (If there is a doubt, check if there is a "A~" option among the options).

This is the one I used:

View attachment 11423

You also need a ready made switch box, again available in any electrical shop for Rs 50. Make sure you get a 5amps model as I would not be comfortable connecting a 15amps component to the multimeter.

Now, you are ready to connect the multimeter to the switch box. Chop off one end of the multimeter cable so that you can connect it directly to the switch box. Remember to cut the cable from the side which does not connect to the mutimeter (It will be a special molex cable on one end to connect to the multimeter and a sharp pin on the other side. Cut the side with the sharp pins). Current flows from the mains to the box and the multimeter wires are connected in series.

Here is the snap of the same.

View attachment 11425

Close the box and bring the cables from one side of the box so that no live wires are hanging out. This is how the completed box looks like:

View attachment 11424

Now connect the multimeter molex cables to the multimeter and leave it there. This is because current will be flowing through the molex ends and you do not want them to touch the ground.

That is it basically. Set the multimeter to the 20amps mode to make sure the fuse does not blow, connect ANY device to the box and plug the box to the mains. Switch on the current and the device and you can start seeing live data on how many amps are being drawn by the device. If you multiply the amps reading with 235, you get the number of watts being drawn by the device. Note that even though India claims to run on 220v, we actually get anywhere between 220v and 240v in the mains. I seem to be getting 235v almost constantly, hence I multiply by 235. You can measure the voltage in your house using the same multimeter at the precise moment you are taking the reading if you want perfect figures, otherwise 235 is a close approximation.

See the picture here of my old 17" TFT monitor monitor connected to the circuit.

View attachment 11426

The 17" TFT monitor is drawing 0.21 amps, which translates to 50 watts of current being used. Note that my new 22" LCD draws a similar amount of current which shows how electronic components are getting more and more power efficient !!!

That is it folks, connect any 5amps device to the circuit and measure the current being used. Not precise, but a pretty close approximation of power usage.

A homemade DIY "Kill a watt" for 220v at a cost of Rs 750 !!!

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 317
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 000.jpg
    Picture 000.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 364
I use Rs. 90 digital multimeter. Works fine for me as i use it to check continuity. The voltages displayed on it are ~20% + or -. A get a reading of ~270volts AC on my switch board.

One time i tried checking the amps on the 12v line of my psu. I connected the leads and the number went up around 15 amps. I felt something hot and noticed the plastic of the DMM wires were melting. All within 3 seconds of connecting the leads.

I have seen this kill-a-watt stuff in many places and it is largely overhyped. OP please don't misunderstand. It has its use primarily for comparison of similar devices. It does not measure power at all. I should know. I spent years designing stuff to measure true power when applied to the input of a SMPS.

Many members here have already expounded on the power factor issue so I'll not bring that up again. The most important thing here is to remember that we just measure current and nothing more. To say the meter measures power is wrong.

cranky, who's opinion I regard highly here, has also made an error in his first post here. He has mentioned RMS current and this circuit in no way measures RMS. These cheap DMMs actually measure average current but are calibrated to display RMS, the calibration holding true only if it is a pure sinusoidal current. There are DMMs that measure true RMS current but they are far more expensive.

blr_p is on the right track in what he has suggested. That is a far more accurate way to measure power though it would try your patience to use it.

The issue with the input power of devices like computers and many other gadgets like TVs is that there is a smps sitting at the entrance. I am not familiar with smps design in this millennium. When I worked on smps designs, there was no active pfc worth the name. The front end was basically a bridge rectifier feeding a capacitor bank. Any itsy bitsy filter before that was mainly to reduce emi/rfi and had little significant impact on the input current.

Those who are from the electrical/electronics background will understand this aspect of what I'm saying here. The input current to the smps current was certainly not even remotely sinusoidal. It consists of pulses of current near the peaks of the input voltage and near zero current the rest of the time. So the DMM that measures average current and is calibrated to display RMS is bound to get it wrong.

For most other loads you are not so far off the mark.

broadway said:
I use Rs. 90 digital multimeter. Works fine for me as i use it to check continuity. The voltages displayed on it are ~20% + or -. A get a reading of ~270volts AC on my switch board.

One time i tried checking the amps on the 12v line of my psu. I connected the leads and the number went up around 15 amps. I felt something hot and noticed the plastic of the DMM wires were melting. All within 3 seconds of connecting the leads.
+/- 20% is a huge difference. that's almost 1/4th of 100% and over time as the instrument electronics deteriorates the difference will increase. what device did you use to know (calibrate) the difference though?

BTW, I've seen Fluke true rms multimeters available here online. lost the link though. was in some site which makes the brand - APLAB i think.

^Fluke is a US brand while APLAB is a 100% Indian company. Fluke true rms multimeters have been available in India since at least 20 years if not more.

blr_p said:
Fluke is available in India ? where ?

Years ago Fluke was being represented in India by Hinditron. Not sure if Hinditron exists anymore. Try and google for them. Hinditron got maximum traction in the electronics instrumentation market because they used to sell HP (then Hewlett Packard) oscilloscopes.

Back