Graphic Cards Kind of an old question but....

Hello guys,

I was planning to purchase an interim graphics card to hold me till the DX10 games arrive. I've finally come at two choices:

1)GeForce 6800XT at 11.5K
2)Radeon X800 vanilla at about 14K

Which of these is better? Which is more future proof?

Thanks,
Infernus :)

Where did you get those outrageous prices??? !!!!!!

Get a 7600GT for 11k :S. Quoted today @ Prime.

Edit : Nikhil beat me to it :p.

Actually, I need an AGP card, and the prices are high possibly because of lower stocks of AGP cards. Either case, I found only these two, so which one is better?

Or perhaps I can get an AGP 7600GT?

I will consider the used 6800 NU, but I would prefer getting a new one anyway. Strange thing is that the 6800XT AGP8X has 512MB memory while the Radeon X800 has only 256MB (though I expect the memclocks are higher than the 6800).

The questions to be asked are:

1)Will 256MB memory suffice for current games?

2)Will the lack of SM 3.0 in the X800 affect my gameplay significantly?

Since the X800 has 4 more pixel pipelines than the 6800XT, I'm leaning towards that for the moment.

6800XT is a 6800GT with clock speeds reduced and pipelines cut by half, the XT has four vertex shaders and a 256-bit memory bus, which are the main advantages over the GeForce 6600GT series.

Radeon X800 vanilla has 12 pixel pipes and 6 vertex shader units.

Yeah 512MB seems a lot for the 6800XT, I was kinda surprised myself to see an XT with 512MB.

exactly...it performs just comparable to 6600GT...

at 11.5 not worth at all...even if its AGP...

if u r gng for oldddd technology on oldddd platform for a small timeframe gng for a good sec hand isnt a bad idea...maybe....

hunt3r said:
Firstly where are you buying from?

A Lamington Road store in Mumbai. I refused the Zebronics crap 6800XT, and now I'm being offered a PowerColor Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 (12 pixel pipelines, 6 vertex processors, 400MHz core, 490MHz memory and AGP 8x of course) at 11k. Is that an OK price?

I just cant find a 7600 AGP, they just released in the US so it will take time to come to India.

Also I'm a bit adamant about buying used cards, have lots of doubts:(

Back