Kitchen Chimney

One of my local friend has bought a new flat and was asking which kitchen chimneys as regarded as premium and so on. I have absolutely no clue in the matter. So those here who have experience in the matter please suggest which chimneys perform the best (durability, performance, price) for Indian kitchens.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the size of the kitchen and also the kind of food that will be cooked. Mostly Indian food consists of smoke, oil, frying and grilling. Atleast 1000 m3 suction capacity is required to keep the kitchen stain, smoke and odour free. I've used Elica and Glen before and both had their pros and cons. However be prepared to clean/replace the filter depending upon the useage. They cost areound Rs.1200 depending upon the model. There are also filterless model now that cost from 10K upwards.

Has anyone used silent Chimneys where the extraction fan/ motor is mounted outside. I've heard they are not as efficient as normal ones, which is logical, but I would love to have a silent kitchen to work in.

I am using a Cata Chimney since 2007. The filter baffles are made of steel. It does collect a lot of grime. I am supposed to replace them when they get dirty. I have instead been putting it in the dishwasher every month and it comes out spanking new. Still on the original filter. Hence, these kind of models have very low running cost. In fact, I have not had the need to call for service so far. The only issue I had once was to replace the bulb in the chimney. I might have to call them for service now as some of the buttons are getting stuck.

I believe this the model I have been using. https://www.cataindia.in/products/kitchen-appliances/kitchen-chimney/designer-hoods/c-glass-h-900/

None of these are premium chimneys. If you want premium, look at Bosch/Siemens/Miele or Gaggenau or Wolf in order of increasing prices.

The bare minimum if you want something premium is Bosch. Rest are all junk.

I bought this recently.

If on a budget, this can be had for around 30-35k depending on where you look

None of these are premium chimneys. If you want premium, look at Bosch/Siemens/Miele or Gaggenau or Wolf in order of increasing prices.

I bought this recently.

@Chaos What is it that we would get with these "Premium Chimneys" that I did not get with my "junk" Cata which I have been using in my open kitchen for the past 14 years?

@Chaos What is it that we would get with these "Premium Chimneys" that I did not get with my "junk" Cata which I have been using in my open kitchen for the past 14 years?
Primarily better build quality and aesthetics, easier cleaning, lower noise, availability of spares for a long time,

I have never tried cata but the noise difference between an elica/kaff etc and a miele was incredible. The Miele was whisper quiet even at full fan speed.

Its basically like using a 200 rupee noname fan vs a noctua. Better flow rates and quieter operation.

Primarily better build quality and aesthetics, easier cleaning, lower noise, availability of spares for a long time,

I have never tried cata but the noise difference between an elica/kaff etc and a miele was incredible. The Miele was whisper quiet even at full fan speed.

Its basically like using a 200 rupee noname fan vs a noctua. Better flow rates and quieter operation.
Fan noise is the only thing I can think of. Seriously, how much technology can you pack in a Chimney? It is just a fan sucking air out of the room.

I bought this recently.

What kind of discount you got on the MRP on Miele. Also they only list 550m3/hr as flow rating. Is that enough for Indian style deep-frying?
Even Elica and Kaff seem to have these silent premium offerings but they advertise flow rates at 1000-1100m3/h

What kind of discount you got on the MRP on Miele. Also they only list 550m3/hr as flow rating. Is that enough for Indian style deep-frying?
Even Elica and Kaff seem to have these silent premium offerings but they advertise flow rates at 1000-1100m3/h
Most of them are fake ratings just like how fake fan flow rates exist in PC fan specs. Miele india has a money back guarantee in case we are not satisfied (unlikely) once it is installed. Discount is typically 15-20%. The discount numbers have significantly come down this year due to covid and insanely high shipping rates.

In my current rental place, there is a kaff extractor that claims 1100m3 but the reality is that this extractor is horrible. It makes a lot of noise and does nothing. There are oil stains everywhere due to its inefficiency. Cleaning it also is a huge problem due to poor design.

first thing is the hob - how big is the hob/stove. you need to identify the size of that and accordingly you will get a chimney
600/750/900 mm respectively.
then chimneys basic ones start from 6000-7000 which are nothing but glorified exhaust fans.
second is it an open kitchen or normal seperate kitchen.
if open then you need bare minimum 1000+ cfm air flow so that kitchen does not make the entire house smell of food.
if a seperate kitchen then 800 cfm or around will also do.
any company which says that chimney does not need maintenence is lyeing.
also you have variety of chimneys now basic/ auto clean/ cartridge filter ( expensive to run)/ standard aluminium baffle( easy to clan but need attention atleast once a month) and few more.

i have been using KAFF DHC 600mm chimney for a few months. it has auto clean feature however i still clean the baffle manually with warm water and some baking soda, just dip for 20 mins and done.
bought for around 12-14k,
15k and you get good ones.

Thanks for the further opinions. Shared them as well with the concerned party.

I personally cannot even imagine spending behind a kitchen Chimney lol. My grandma was the best cook I've ever come across and she spent many hours in her standard sized kitchen, just with an exhaust fan and a big window and in over 50 years that kitchen doesn't look or smell any stinky till day. But as I see there are people who have chimneys worth lakhs of rupees damn.

The chimney is a pain to clean once the "parantha" oil sticks to it. Using CATA and the motor is like a turbine.

I personally cannot even imagine spending behind a kitchen Chimney lol. My grandma was the best cook I've ever come across and she spent many hours in her standard sized kitchen, just with an exhaust fan and a big window and in over 50 years that kitchen doesn't look or smell any stinky till day. But as I see there are people who have chimneys worth lakhs of rupees damn.
Exactly, even my mom rarely needs the chimney as its down to how you cook. We got it installed (Kutchina) since it came free with the modular kitchen and the kitchen was pretty narrow. It is still going strong but I had to get an AMC as both of them are senior citizens and I am away. She is a big believer in low oil low flame cooking and that reflects in the low usage of the chimney and state of the kitchen.

Back