PC Peripherals lagging games , high temps . help :'(

Hello friends ,
As I am a gamer and I had a little cash to spare I upgraded my graphics card and the psu . My old rig specs are in my signature . I upgraded to Cooler master 600w silent power pro (got a used one for cheap , still in warranty ) and a new 6950 2GB twin frozr iii (instantly unlocked to 6970 :) ) .
Now when I started gaming (mainly cod4 multiplayer ) I suffer from fps drop . I used to get 250 fps on my 5770 but now it fluctuates between 150-250 . Also the game freezes for 4-5 second in every 20-30 mins while other background task are ok . For eg music playing etc.

Some one told me that my motherboard Is heating up . So I downloaded speed fan and the temps are 45c temp1 , 76c temp2 and 48c temp3 while gaming . Please help me with the issue . I think the motherboard or the power supply are at fault . Please help me pinpoint the problem . Thank you :)

buddingwhizkid said:
Hello friends ,

As I am a gamer and I had a little cash to spare I upgraded my graphics card and the psu . My old rig specs are in my signature . I upgraded to Cooler master 600w silent power pro (got a used one for cheap , still in warranty ) and a new 6950 2GB twin frozr iii (instantly unlocked to 6970 :) ) .

Now when I started gaming (mainly cod4 multiplayer ) I suffer from fps drop . I used to get 250 fps on my 5770 but now it fluctuates between 150-250 . Also the game freezes for 4-5 second in every 20-30 mins while other background task are ok . For eg music playing etc.

Some one told me that my motherboard Is heating up . So I downloaded speed fan and the temps are 45c temp1 , 76c temp2 and 48c temp3 while gaming . Please help me with the issue . I think the motherboard or the power supply are at fault . Please help me pinpoint the problem . Thank you :)

I feel there less current flowing through your components, try putting your CPU on stock speeds and don't overclock your Gfx if you have done so. My 6870 1GB at stock takes about 88amps from PSU at full load 85degrees temps, 600w silent pro I feel is not providing enough current......

Ill upload hwmonitor and speedfan screen shots tomorrow . My processor right now is at stock speeds with 2 Cores only . The gpu though is unlocked to 6970 and overclocked a little .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

So i have uploaded the screenshots . This is after running prime95 for 5-10 minutes because as i switched on the pc it was COLD as ice .

FjAhY.jpg

temps of system are definitely on higher side. you need to install fans with higher cfm's pushing air out of the case.

For one ensure its not a software issue first.

Faced a similar problem when i upgraded to a 6850 from a 8800GT. Even though i used driver Sweep somehow faced erratic fps drops, screen freezes,BSods..u name it...Installed a fresh copy of OS and voila it was doing fine again..

If uve already done then we can proceed to the HW related issues..

^ The case side window is open so it isnt the airflow , plus the temp these days outside is like 10C .

As far as driver thingy is concerned i have reinstalled windows and drivers a few days back so that isnt the problem either .

Now i am thinking its a kaput mobo / Problem with gpu unlocked / kaput power supply . What to do ? :S

Is it a problem if you run your 6950 on stock?? or its the same like its does on 6970 (6950 ulcd) ???

I suspect the PSU is a problem here, but not to forget the temps are bit on higher side considering your room temp must be near to 15 or 20.... You should try checking your system on a different PSU first. If you dont have that option then you should format your OS once to make sure that software or driver conflict isnt the issue. I dont think mobo is a problem here.

Final thought : Every hardware piece on stock --->Format---> Fresh install of drivers and softwares/games----> Check... Reply with your result.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Are you kidding me?? :rofl:
ChessMaster said:
My 6870 1GB at stock takes about 88amps from PSU at full load 85degrees temps, 600w silent pro I feel is not providing enough current......

^ well i havent tried on a stock 6950 i unlocked it the moment i got it .

The temps go even higher after an hour of gaming temp2 in speedfan goes upto 76-78C .

Id dont think i need to reinstall OS . :(

@OP, AFAIK the TF3 6950 is a dual bios model, so try and revert back to the original 6950 bios and check. If that fails, then flash a hd6950 TF3 bios (download from TPU). BTW what driver are you using? In my experience with HD 6950, the best driver for COD4 is the 11.5 catalyst, so try that.

Maybe IC on mobo is malfunctioning.. and please chk your psu too..

i too had a similar problem recently and found out that my processor was overheating then i got it RMAed plus even PSU was malfunctioning pc kept switching off. replaced both and all fine now

AS far as dual bios thing is concerned i cannot locate the dual bios switch :(

And PSU or mobo RMA will be done after i am sure that they are faulty . i dont like RMA'ing stuff that isnt faulty cz i dont trust what theyll give me back after RMA :X

^ Thanks . reverted back to previous bios . but sadly the temps are 76C (motherboard) after running prime95 for 10-15 minutes .
<

I think the motherboard is too weak for the graphics card . can it be true ?

btw The psu is 650w not 600w as stated in the OP .

I am not able to find edit button under the post like before
<

Can you remove the graphics card and run without a gfx card or another old gfx card and monitor the temps?

Seems to me the mobo temps is around 38 deg and the temps you are saying is something else. It might be of fans attached to mobo.

Can you remove the graphics card and run without a gfx card or another old gfx card and monitor the temps?

Seems to me the mobo temps is around 38 deg and the temps you are saying is something else. It might be of fans attached to mobo.

I can do that but can you tell me the reason behind doing this ?
<

Back