Laptop battery monitor

Hi,

Which is a good software to monitor health of a battery or run some diagnostic tests? And which websites sell genuine laptop batteries?

Thanks

Been running around for quite a while with my charging issue and power disconnecting issue , the best way I found without installing and software was using the command
powercfg /batteryreport on windows powershell gave me a detailed and hopefully correct information...

Hi,

Which is a good software to monitor health of a battery or run some diagnostic tests? And which websites sell genuine laptop batteries?

Thanks
I ordered two Acer Predator Helios 300 batteries one from nehruplaceshop.com and another from regait , installed the one that came from nehru place , the advertised info was of 48whr capacity, however the real capacity was around 27whr in real life , so am now sceptical about the second one , which is yet to arrive , will update once I receive it ....

@Kilroyquasar
Sharing screenshot from this app below.

@blr_p
The software mentioned by you just monitors the battery. I mean they show a bar with how much battery % is remaining that's it. They don't diagnose the health or something.

@nRiTeCh @Ankit2306
So, this is how I fcked up the battery. It worked fine with normal wear and tear. About 2 days back there was an old phone at home, those 3g only one's. It didn't charge with any charger. I connected it to the laptop with the usb cable and the charging started. I knew that the phone's battery is bulged out but still I connected it with the laptop. Two hours later the phone's charging didn't move ahead from 44% Then I removed the phone from the laptop and the battery of the laptop started to just drain out very quickly. Say the battery is at 22% when I connect the charger it will go to 50% immediately. This is so frustrating. It is not even lasting an hour. That phone definitely messed up with the battery.

Photos from the default battery report from Windows
Old reports

Today's report
While charging

Not charging

Battery care software show different data in terms of total capacity etc.
Charging

Not charging

- Can a defective battery of a phone (or any other device) cause damage to the laptop's battery? Can it cause damage to any other part/circuit/board etc.?
- Why is there no battery serial number and cycle count in any of the reports?
- Will battery calibration help? Which is better way to calibrate?
- How to and from where to buy original battery? Local service centres are selling 1st copy for 2000 with 2 months warranty
- What should be optimal battery settings in Windows?

+ @Kaleen Bhaiya @Emperor @raksrules @bssunilreddy

So, this is how I fcked up the battery. It worked fine with normal wear and tear. About 2 days back there was an old phone at home, those 3g only one's. It didn't charge with any charger. I connected it to the laptop with the usb cable and the charging started. I knew that the phone's battery is bulged out but still I connected it with the laptop. Two hours later the phone's charging didn't move ahead from 44% Then I removed the phone from the laptop and the battery of the laptop started to just drain out very quickly. Say the battery is at 22% when I connect the charger it will go to 50% immediately. This is so frustrating. It is not even lasting an hour. That phone definitely messed up with the battery.

Battery care software show different data in terms of total capacity etc.

- Can a defective battery of a phone (or any other device) cause damage to the laptop's battery? Can it cause damage to any other part/circuit/board etc.?
- Why is there no battery serial number and cycle count in any of the reports?
- Will battery calibration help? Which is better way to calibrate?
- How to and from where to buy original battery? Local service centres are selling 1st copy for 2000 with 2 months warranty
- What should be optimal battery settings in Windows?

+ @Kaleen Bhaiya @Emperor @raksrules @bssunilreddy
Firstly which laptop you own you havent mentioned that. Is it the battery which came with the laptop or was changed later? How old is the laptop? Whats your typical usage + do you keep the charger plugged in continuously even after 100% charging?
Unless you mention these details no one is going to get a clear idea.

Secondly, the old phone has nothing to do with the laptop battery etc. Its just a co-incidence or may be your eyes just opened now.

Third party tools takes its own sweet time to actually start displaying accurate data else you might have to perform manual calibration just for its sake which is not recommended.

Lastly, as I told earlier, your laptop brands original diagnostic tools are the recommended ones to rely on any such health data.

Firstly which laptop you own you havent mentioned that.
He has HP laptop. But more details like model number and series is needed.
@becool773 No, your phone didn't have anything to do with screwing your battery. I am assuming your battery is already 2+ years old. Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows software pre-installed on HP laptop and run battery check under Components check. It will check and advise you if calibration is needed. In my case, it does. But I don't do because I know why the numbers are faulty in the first place.
Your best bet would be to get the battery from HP showroom. I did the same after my original battery's performance degraded after 2 years of purchsase. Got an original one from HP care.
If no HP care shop nearby, ask one of the showrooms if they can arrange a battery for you. But stick to genuine parts if possible.
You can also use Hwinfo software to gauge the wear level and the difference between designed capacity and estimated capacity of the battery.
I knew that the phone's battery is bulged out but still I connected it with the laptop.
I could have understood if you are keeping that phone as a memoir or as an artefact, but charging it despite knowing that the battery has bulged!! I mean why. It's a fire hazard. Get a new battery if possible and dispose the old one safely.

@nRiTeCh @Ankit2306 @Kaleen Bhaiya
Apologies, it is hp ab522tx. Bought in 2016. Still having the battery that came with it. It is used only for browsing, no movies or games. It is not always plugged in, plugged in when battery goes near to 20-25% and plugged off when it reaches to 100%. Never moved from the table. The battery backup used to be fine considering the usage its just that after the phone incident it went down the drain. Just a day before this phone incident there was a Windows update.

Did you guys check the screenshots posted above? Why is it not showing the battery serial number/cell count? Are the rest of the parameters fine?

The quote of 2000 was also given by the official hp service center. As per them the original battery of this model is not with them. When I asked them when the same will be available, I was ready to pay in advance, they kept on saying that it will take time and eventually said that availability cannot be guaranteed. These guys have more margins in the aftermarket spares maybe this is why they weren't suggesting the original one, IDK.

I uninstalled all preinstalled hp softwares because they are junk. @Kaleen Bhaiya can you share the link of that specific software which you are referring to?

Is there a way to contact/mail hp and ask them about the availability of the battery of this model? Any website that's selling genuine batteries of this model?

@Kaleen Bhaiya
Tried charging that phone because had to copy an important number, its battery is not available as it is like a 10 year old phone.

Still having the battery that came with it.
How much more do you want!!! It's already 6 years. You should consider yourself lucky you got a piece which lasted this long. Only batteries in the premium segment claim to last that long. It's long overdue.
Why is it not showing the battery serial number
If I recall, battery serial is encoded under HP Bios, so not sure if it can be accessed by any tool other than HP.
Did you guys check the screenshots posted above?
I went for hwinfo and check the difference between designed capacity and Full charge capacity. If it is more, I simply change it.
can you share the link of that specific software which you are referring to?
Run HP Support Assistant and run battery check. You should find the serial number and it will mention issues with the battery, if any.
s there a way to contact/mail hp and ask them about the availability of the battery of this model? Any website that's selling genuine batteries of this model?
But yours ain't available. Call the sales number and ask them if spares available for your device. I won't be surprised if they won't have it since it's already been six years. Max 2-3 years.

Apologies, it is hp ab522tx. Bought in 2016. Still having the battery that came with it. It is used only for browsing, no movies or games. It is not always plugged in, plugged in when battery goes near to 20-25% and plugged off when it reaches to 100%. Never moved from the table. The battery backup used to be fine considering the usage its just that after the phone incident it went down the drain. Just a day before this phone incident there was a Windows update.

The quote of 2000 was also given by the official hp service center. As per them the original battery of this model is not with them. When I asked them when the same will be available, I was ready to pay in advance, they kept on saying that it will take time and eventually said that availability cannot be guaranteed. These guys have more margins in the aftermarket spares maybe this is why they weren't suggesting the original one, IDK.

I uninstalled all preinstalled hp softwares because they are junk. @Kaleen Bhaiya can you share the link of that specific software which you are referring to?

Is there a way to contact/mail hp and ask them about the availability of the battery of this model? Any website that's selling genuine batteries of this model?

I use these Hp tools for my HP laptop...
I use these two official HP tools for my HP laptop.

1642269600372.png

1642269686049.png

1642269707590.png

Also, 6 yrs is a huge period, usually batteries die in 3yrs or so.

Quote of 2k is nothing esp. by official service center and any model after 4 yrs or so, the components get discontinued and one has to adjust with either first copy or similar compatible low profile replacement.

You can open a thread in HP forums but I highly doubt the battery model will be in production today.

Better option is to consider an upgrade by by-back/selling your laptop in upcoming amazon sale.

Check out this battery , please make sure the part number matches

Thanks. Is that a trusted website? Is the same not available on Flipkart or Amazon?
I am sorry where is the part number mentioned on that website and where is it mentioned on the battery?
How much more do you want!!! It's already 6 years. You should consider yourself lucky you got a piece which lasted this long. Only batteries in the premium segment claim to last that long. It's long overdue.

If I recall, battery serial is encoded under HP Bios, so not sure if it can be accessed by any tool other than HP.

I went for hwinfo and check the difference between designed capacity and Full charge capacity. If it is more, I simply change it.

Run HP Support Assistant and run battery check. You should find the serial number and it will mention issues with the battery, if any.

But yours ain't available. Call the sales number and ask them if spares available for your device. I won't be surprised if they won't have it since it's already been six years. Max 2-3 years.
Bro I am ready to replace it, just wanted to make sure whether or not any damage was done by that phone or not. Also I am willing to go with the original one only but unfortunately even the service centre is selling the chinese battery with no warranty.

PFA
The designed capacity and full charge capacity are the same, the value is more in the test done by Windows and as posted in the above replies. The current capacity is less. What do you think?

Only few batteries are shown here and most are oos
Where to find the product code of the battery? I will call them and will get back.

How is this website as posted by Ankit above https://laptopgallery.in/hp-origina...ll-ki04-original-laptop-notebook-battery.html ? Any chance of finding this battery on Flipkart or Amazon?

Will get back regarding the support assistant screenshot.
I use these two official HP tools for my HP laptop.

View attachment 124220

View attachment 124221

View attachment 124222

Also, 6 yrs is a huge period, usually batteries die in 3yrs or so.

Quote of 2k is nothing esp. by official service center and any model after 4 yrs or so, the components get discontinued and one has to adjust with either first copy or similar compatible low profile replacement.

You can open a thread in HP forums but I highly doubt the battery model will be in production today.

Better option is to consider an upgrade by by-back/selling your laptop in upcoming amazon sale.
Can you share the link of the first software? @Kaleen Bhaiya has shared the link for the second one.
Brother is it fine to go for these chinese batteries for laptops? Can the same damage the system? Any website selling the best of these chinese batteries?
Will post in hp forums.
Na can't upgrade bro, bahut kharche ho gaye pichle mahine. Also don't want to as this is used only to browse the internet, that's it.

Last edited:
Thanks. Is that a trusted website? Is the same not available on Flipkart or Amazon?
I am sorry where is the part number mentioned on that website and where is it mentioned on the battery?

Bro I am ready to replace it, just wanted to make sure whether or not any damage was done by that phone or not. Also I am willing to go with the original one only but unfortunately even the service centre is selling the chinese battery with no warranty.

PFA
The designed capacity and full charge capacity are the same, the value is more in the test done by Windows and as posted in the above replies. The current capacity is less. What do you think?

Only few batteries are shown here and most are oos
Where to find the product code of the battery? I will call them and will get back.

How is this website as posted by Ankit above https://laptopgallery.in/hp-origina...ll-ki04-original-laptop-notebook-battery.html ? Any chance of finding this battery on Flipkart or Amazon?

Will get back regarding the support assistant screenshot.
Take a pic of the battery and post it ..
And yes it's a trusted website in my view, have actually ordered a battery which is ok

Take a pic of the battery and post it ..
And yes it's a trusted website in my view, have actually ordered a battery which is ok
Will do, give me some time.
Say the battery delivered by them starts giving an issue then will hp honor the warranty considering they are not making batteries for this model? Also I have read that older manufactured batteries should not be purchased, it was written that it is true for inverters/ups also. As the batteries of this model are not manufactured anymore so this must be an older manufactured piece, if it is indeed genuine, will it be a problem?
@Ankit2306 @Kaleen Bhaiya @nRiTeCh
Screenshot of HwInfo while discharging the designed/current and full capacity has increased as compared while it was charging How is this possible?

Hp support assistant screenshots

What is ct number? Check cycle count, that means that something's wrong?

It means to leave it plugged for 2.5 hours after its is fully charged? Will it not overheat or cause damage to the internal parts if kept plugged in for so long?
Calibration tutorials said to calibrate like this
But support assistant is mentioning a completely different method. Are calibration methods different with every oem?
Anyone purchased from this website https://www.tpstech.in/products/lap...-laptop-battery-for-hp-pavilion-15-ab5-series

Last edited:
It means to leave it plugged for 2.5 hours after its is fully charged? Will it not overheat or cause damage to the internal parts if kept plugged in for so long?
No, it won't overheat since when the battery is at 100%, very small charge goes to fully charge it to 100%(actual) unlike regular charge where your battery charges and it build up heat.
Do the calibration process once. I had done the same and it helped me determine if the battery was faulty or not. Turned out, it was faulty.

Also I am willing to go with the original one only but unfortunately even the service centre is selling the chinese battery with no warranty.
If you can manage, try to ask HP care in Chandigarh if the stores in your area are not giving original battery. Call the service number and explain them the situation with the HP care not giving original battery.
Can you share the link of the first software?

@Ankit2306 @Kaleen Bhaiya
Battery Photo

Amazon also seems to have the original battery but the seller is not a regular one.
Called hp at 18001084747 the voice quality of the automated call which lets us to select an option is horrible. Tried all options, even spoke with some agents they all said they don't deal with accessories especially batteries. Have mailed them but no response yet. Any escalation mail id?

And say a battery, original or compatible/chinese, is manufactured two years back vs a battery manufactured 2 months back. Is it true that the latter will be beneficial in the wrong run?

@Kaleen Bhaiya
No, it won't overheat since when the battery is at 100%, very small charge goes to fully charge it to 100%(actual) unlike regular charge where your battery charges and it build up heat.
Do the calibration process once. I had done the same and it helped me determine if the battery was faulty or not. Turned out, it was faulty.

Will do and will get back. Thanks

Quick questions, ev's specifically mention that they suggest to charge their vehicle till 80% and not more than that for optimum functionality. Tesla automatically limits the charging instead of it hitting 100%. Now if the plug is connected to a laptop/vehicle and the battery is charged 100% or 80% if the limit is set then where does the current go? ELI5. Also if ev manufacturers are saying to not hit 100% does it make sense to keep it plugged on for so much time after it has already fully charged?

In the links that I have posted above, the calibration methods are different. Of the little what I have searched on the internet the calibration methods are almost the same as per those links. No oem is saying to keep it plugged after it has hit 100%. Why is hp saying to keep it plugged for so much time?

If you can manage, try to ask HP care in Chandigarh if the stores in your area are not giving original battery. Call the service number and explain them the situation with the HP care not giving original battery.
Have mailed them as mentioned above but no replies yet. Asked two more of their dealers in the city, all are suggesting compatible/chinese batteries. They said that no one buys original batteries. To each its own I guess.

Thanks, will try and get back. What is the name of this software? How is this different than hp support assistant?
@Ankit2306 @Kaleen Bhaiya @nRiTeCh

Guys just had a word with a dealer whom I know, he is saying that this battery should be compatible with the laptop
but he himself wasn't sure. How to be sure of it?

KI04 seems to be the code/serial number or whatever everywhere

Last edited:
And say a battery, original or compatible/chinese, is manufactured two years back vs a battery manufactured 2 months back. Is it true that the latter will be beneficial in the long run?
Yes.
Why is hp saying to keep it plugged for so much time?
When the battery indicator says 100%, it never is 100% initially. If you understand battery chemistry, charging upto 50% will be at max supported capacity, 50-80% will be at reduced speeds, 80-100% will be like trickle. That is why when companies claim 0-50% in 30 minutes, it can only charge fast when its void. As electrons start filling in, there's less charge to move and hence speed slows down. Also, it makes sense to slow down charging after 50% because the heat during fast charging will damage the battery.
So due to slow charging speeds, HP wants to ensure that your battery has been topped up to exact 100%. It's the same as when your phone switches off on reaching 0%. If you power it on, there will still be some juice left which is needed for internal functioning. Having a completely dead battery is bad, except for calibration coz you are doing it only once.
What is the name of this software? How is this different than hp support assistant?
HP PC hardware diagnostic tools. Runs battery tests and suggests ways to calibrate the battery in the manner deemed fit for HP batteries.

Hp's support is pathetic. They have no idea whether this battery will be compatible with the laptop or not
They kept on repeating two things, 1. The laptop is not manufactured anymore. 2. We can only tell you how much mah is the battery, if you buy it and its not compatible then no returns. They closed the ticket on mail saying to call on the tollfree number.

All the websites that I have mentioned in the above post, https://techenclave.com/threads/laptop-battery-monitor.203570/post-2335791 , are saying that KI04 is the battery for this laptop. How to be certain about this? The description on hp's site says designed for
  • HP Pavilion 14-ab000~14-ab099, HP Pavilion 15-ab000~15-ab099, HP Pavilion 17-g000~17-g099, HP Pavilion 15-ag000~15-ag099

Tsp has the battery which was manufactured in January last year. While laptop gallery guy is just next level, sir manufacturing date ka kya karoge? Both said that as per them this specific battery is for the laptop but I have to double check because there will be no returns in case of compatibility issues.

Final thoughts? @Kaleen Bhaiya

@Ankit2306 Did you check the photo of the battery posted above?

Back