PC Peripherals Laptop config

nithin

Recruit
Hi guys I have decided to buy a laptop for myself, and since lappy's are expensive in India my freind will be getting one for me frm usa.
I will be using it at my college hostel since i dont have my desktop over there i will also be using my lappy for gaming also, apart from spreadsheet and word processing. i want to be able to play hl2, doom3, ut2004 etc. now i am not very demanding so i will be happy if the games run at 800x600 or even 640x480(seriously i am happy even with this reso). the system that i have decided on is a dell inspiron 6000 i have customized it in such a way that it has 1gb ram, 128mb ati mobility radeon x300 pci express x16 grafix card, but the proccy is a 1.6 ghz pentium m (i dont want to go for pentium4-m). after using up all the available discounts and coupon codes on the dell site the price of this system comes to 1117$ thats abt 48k Rs. and my max budget was 1200$, so i am quite happy with this sys. but the thing is am wondering will the 1.6 ghz proccy be a bottleneck for this system?? should i go for less ram or a 64mb grafix card and invest on a 1.8 or 2 ghz proccy? is it worth it? and how does a 1.6 ghz pentium m compare with a p4 proccy is it as good as a p4 2.8 ghz? any kind of suggestions and reccomendations are welcome.
i could go in for a 2ghz sys with 1gb ram but with an integrated intel grafix that would be much cheaper but will the grafix card b even able to run hl2 or doom3 at even 640x480. thanx.

If you seriously want some gaming performance then i would suggest you to look for a Laptop with ATI 9800 pro series... The cost would go up for sure and that too quite a bit but it would be one hell of a laptop...

About the proccy power of pentium M well i would say its great at 1.6...

Switch said:
If you seriously want some gaming performance then i would suggest you to look for a Laptop with ATI 9800 pro series... The cost would go up for sure and that too quite a bit but it would be one hell of a laptop...

About the proccy power of pentium M well i would say its great at 1.6...

The Mobility Radeon (MR) 9800Pro was sold only on very few systems, phased out now.It's predecessor, theMR9700 is still going strong, and is on quite a few systems, including some Acers.. this vidcard is awesome.

U're getting it from the States, right? Ever tried out an Alienware(www.alienware.com)? The configs ROCK! I know which gaming lap I'm going 2 buy when I win a lottery(coz my earnings allow me 2 upgrade only my desktop :mad: )! They're giving some kind of discounts right now. Check out their site once.

Yep, never under-estimate the power of the Pentium-M. Its low clock speeds are but a disguise for the power it holds. It is very much a capable processor :)

You could also check out the Compaq X6000 laptop that can be configured with an X600 Graphics card, which is significantly faster than the X300. Configuring it should place it around 1200$ as well. Though it uses the P4 processor instead of the Pentium M, so battery life will take a hit. It also features a 17" screen, so would be a bit larger/heavier as well.

HP offers the zv6000 series laptops that comes with Mobile Athlon64 procs and uses the Ati Xpress 200M chipset that features integrated X300SE graphics. Can be configured for around 1200$ as well.

thanx for the suggestion guys, well if rumors are to be believed then dell is coming out with the 750$ discount coupons tomorrow ie if i configure any system for over 1500$ i can avail a 750$ discount so most pbbly i'll go in for a inspiron 9300 and select a geforce 6800go :hap2: , the discount should bring the lappy price to around 1200$. and abt going in for alienware or voodoo notebooks ahem :S dude am just a poor student.

nithin said:
thanx for the suggestion guys, well if rumors are to be believed then dell is coming out with the 750$ discount coupons tomorrow ie if i configure any system for over 1500$ i can avail a 750$ discount so most pbbly i'll go in for a inspiron 9300 and select a geforce 6800go
Yep, Dell has some outstanding discount coupons every now and then. Do keep a heads up and grab em! :) You better work fast though, they usually tend to remove the discount coupons within a couple of hours! ;) Great find! :cool2:

UPDATE: I just checked, and yep seems the coupon is indeed expected (courtesy : [RANK="www.dealsofamerica.com"]www.dealsofamerica.com[/RANK] ) Do however work quick, I remember the time this coupon was released last year and it expired within a few hours cause of the heavy rush!

The word is out. It seems the 10,000 coupens will be finished within minutes.

One has to be extremely lucky to go thru this rush as their site will be under heavy load....

PS: I just bought (yesterday) a new dell latitude lappy and extra battery for 600 bucks plus taxes. It was a hot deal...

Waiting for its delivery...

Dell
Tomorrow at 8AM Central time (6AM Pacific), Dell Home will release a $750 off $1499 coupon limited to 10,000 redemptions. The coupon code will be posted here. Virtually all laptops (except 9300 & XPS) in base configuration should be ~$750 after coupon. Prices & promotions may change from now but should stabilize around 6AM Central. Thanks usb.

@ nithin,

I wud suggest u or ur friend to register (open an account) with dell, if not already done ASAP. Seems the coupen is valid only for inspiron lappy's, so I wud now select my configuration and add it to my cart along with any current coupen codes and save it. This will definitely save a lot of heartaches in the last minute... and keep my pc switched on and will not close the dell site...

Once the coupen code is out, just open the saved cart, add the new coupen code and place the order...

Hope this wll help u...

thanx barbiegirl for the gr8 advice i actually didnt even have a dell a/c. thanx to ur advice my freind configured the system and entered the coupon code as soon as it was announced on deals2buy. i bought an inspiton 9300 with a 1.73ghz pentium-m, 17" lcd screen, 1gb ram, 256mb geforce 6800 go :hap2: , cdwriter/dvd combo for 1307$ after the 750$ dsicount. am really happy that i did not rush in to buy the inspiron 6000 otherwise i would have missed out on this deal and would have had to settle for an ati x300 grafix card. guess wat the deal actually expired in under 45 min's so i was 1 of the lucky few :clap:

Back